Starter Box Recommendations? >

Starter Box Recommendations?

Like Tree3Likes

Starter Box Recommendations?

Old 08-13-2019, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GAMER View Post
So is the Hudy not compatible with 1/8 GT? I thought they released an optional part to make it work.

Which boxes will do all on road 1/10-1/8?
no, if you want a box for 1/8 GT you need an offroad box. If you want one that does all including GT you need a Universal box. And if you want to run onroad 1/10, you will still need to readjust the offset and aligning pins.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:11 AM
Tech Addict

As they are generally based on a Nitro buggy design which uses a driveshaft, you need an “Off-Road” starter box (with wheel mounted transversely) for 1:8 GT cars, or at the very least, a universal one as noted above.

I’ve managed to ask a few more people, and although they are the most expensive, two out of three still insist that the Hudy is the best one out there ATM. It’s just a shame that they couldn’t design theirs to be universal.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:26 AM
Tech Champion

And the 1/10 shaft driven onroad cars requires a special starter box.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
I run an LRP starter box which can be used for 1/10 and GT8/off-road. Just 4 screws and the wheel rotates around. So one starter box fits all.
The HUDY is typically overpriced for what it is (it’s HUDY = overpriced! I mean they’ve just released a metal sweet tin for goodness sake ) and is limited because you then need 2 different boxes for 1/10 and another for GT8.
For what it’s worth I had an xceed box for several years before I started racing GT8 and used it for 1/10 and 1/8 - personally never had an issue with the wheel wearing out. All I did was lift up the wheel mechanism by using 2mm spacers under it. It’s because the wheel is a bit too low as standard so it can slip and wear out. Small adjustment to ensure proper engagement and no issues.
I too raised the wheel with small 1 mm shims this does help. But anything pass 2mm and the belt will hit the top plate.