Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Starter Box Recommendations? >

Starter Box Recommendations?

Like Tree3Likes

Starter Box Recommendations?

Old 07-24-2019, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

Default Starter Box Recommendations?

I'm looking to get back into Nitro (planning on starting with a Serpent 750 Natrix), and I was just wondering what folks are using and recommend? Seems like they are slim pickings these days, with so many out of stock that I've seen online. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that Serpent never relaunched their PowerStart series. I never had any issues with the original one I used for my old Impulse which I just sold. The only reason I sold the PowerStart with it is that the line-up adapters I had on it were specific to the Impulse.

Anyway, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If it does both vertical and horizontal, even better - not that I would try to use the same exact box (might be tempted to get an SRX-8 GT down the road), but it might be convenient to get the same model to conveniently switch batteries between the two as needed.

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2019, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hudy-1-...104400/p155359
GrandeGixxer and Dane like this.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:00 AM
Tech Rookie

108301 Startbox Powerstart on-road
P2gee likes this.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:43 AM
Tech Rookie

For 1/10 get the Hudy Startbox - probably the best one I've ever used. (works well with either NT1 or 747/748/750 etc) https://www.amainhobbies.com/hudy-1-...104400/p155359

For 1/8 get Sworks BB80 (same as Losi red one from 2.0 rtr kits) - I use it on my both buggies and serpent GT cars. https://www.amainhobbies.com/sworkz-...950001/p274929

Just stay away from xceed boxes... I tried both 1.10 and 1.8 didnt like any bit.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:22 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the suggestions - as I noted above, it seems like the Hudy is out of stock at A-Main (not sure if thatís related to the general gripes Iíve been reading about XRay parts availability here in the US), and unfortunately, the Sworkz is showing as discontinued on A-Mainís site as well. Regardless, Iíll flag it for notification and be on the lookout at other outlets as well.

As I mentioned, it really would be nice if Serpent revived the PowerStart line - I never had any problems with my box, and for a company with a significant lineup of Nitro vehicles, it would just make sense to have a self-branded one.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Hudy for weight and simplicity. Mugen for longevity.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Hudy for weight and simplicity. Mugen for longevity.
Is the Hudy less solid or reliable?

How about when it comes to all engines including the 21s in the 1/8 on roads?

BTW, are the Mugen boxes still the same as back in the day? I remember having a purple one for my MTX-2 a very long time ago.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I like the hudy because it has one larger motor instead of the 2 smaller motors for the mugen. The hudy with a 3s will have no issues turning over a .21.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

Well, for what itís worth my old PowerStart also had a Dual 540 design, which I never had a problem with... At least for the .12 engine on my Impulse. I would imagine that the larger motor can easily meet or exceed the potential of those two - at the end of the day, as long as they can get the job done and itís well built, I donít mind.

Now, if the box has just a single 540, Iíd probably worry - lol.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:16 AM
Tech Adept

Deleted

Last edited by jgil089; 07-30-2019 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Wrong info
Old 07-30-2019, 05:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
Thanks for the suggestions - as I noted above, it seems like the Hudy is out of stock at A-Main (not sure if thatís related to the general gripes Iíve been reading about XRay parts availability here in the US), and unfortunately, the Sworkz is showing as discontinued on A-Mainís site as well. Regardless, Iíll flag it for notification and be on the lookout at other outlets as well.

As I mentioned, it really would be nice if Serpent revived the PowerStart line - I never had any problems with my box, and for a company with a significant lineup of Nitro vehicles, it would just make sense to have a self-branded one.
You might want to check out eBay. I see that both boxes are available.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post

I believe Serpent is aligned with Xceed as an accessory provider so the Powerstart box that Serpent MRC linked to would be what they are offering. It is an extremmely good on road box with one minor exception..... the car alignment pins that come with the box are kinda cheesy. I replaced mine with some aluminum bevel spacers with screws and locknuts to hold them in place.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default Xceed powerstart

I ran the Xceed Powerstart. But I found the wheel to be too soft. I went thru 4-5 wheels in 2 years of ownership(I went thru one wheel just during break-in of a new Nova engine). Go with the Hudy and never look back.

Pass you soon...
Old 08-13-2019, 01:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I run an LRP starter box which can be used for 1/10 and GT8/off-road. Just 4 screws and the wheel rotates around. So one starter box fits all.
The HUDY is typically overpriced for what it is (itís HUDY = overpriced! I mean theyíve just released a metal sweet tin for goodness sake ) and is limited because you then need 2 different boxes for 1/10 and another for GT8.
For what itís worth I had an xceed box for several years before I started racing GT8 and used it for 1/10 and 1/8 - personally never had an issue with the wheel wearing out. All I did was lift up the wheel mechanism by using 2mm spacers under it. Itís because the wheel is a bit too low as standard so it can slip and wear out. Small adjustment to ensure proper engagement and no issues.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

So is the Hudy not compatible with 1/8 GT? I thought they released an optional part to make it work.

Which boxes will do all on road 1/10-1/8?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service