Search
Like Tree98Likes

Serpent SRX8-GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sebtarta
There is nothing new to the Xray clutch. It is the same as the Serpent one (which has been in production since the Cobra 811) just with an extra bearing.
Best leave it. You can't argue with an Xray fanboy unfortunately. The new Xray clutch is just a copy of the Gimar axial actuated clutch. Nothing new just a copy of something already out there. Not really a surprise.
The Euro GT wasn't even a euros it was an 'International Race' which is just a glorified club race! There's another one this year next month in Leipzig, Germany which I will attend.
The first 'proper' EFRA euros for GT8 is next year.
I agree though with you and the SRX8-GT will walk all over the Xray GT8 for sure. Our main competition will be the IGT8.
Boost13az likes this.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mfgranizo
Hi, please some help.

I just finished building my srx8. and hopefully this Saturday will trayit in the club. I have the werks 34mm pro clutch 4 alum shoes, that I used previously in my IGT8. and now have problems assembling it whit the stock serpent clutch bell that comes with the kit. as soon I tight the srew the bell does not run free, is stuck . as soon as I loose a litter bit the screw the bell runs free as is supose to be . with the stock serpent clutch I have no problems.

Do any buddy is using the werks clutch_. have the same problem_.

Sorry for my English, im from Guatemala
The easiest way is just use the standard Serpent clutch which is fine if properly setup. It's really good running the Yellow shoes with X-hard springs. Even the stock carbon with X-hard springs works well.
Otherwise if you insist on using the werks clutch you will need to extend the crankshaft by using a spacer on the end of the shaft or use a longer crankshaft extension top hat.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by dan_vector

The easiest way is just use the standard Serpent clutch which is fine if properly setup. It's really good running the Yellow shoes with X-hard springs. Even the stock carbon with X-hard springs works well.
Otherwise if you insist on using the werks clutch you will need to extend the crankshaft by using a spacer on the end of the shaft or use a longer crankshaft extension top hat.
Thanks Dan!! I just drove the car for a couple of hours in our local track and used the standard serpent clutch. It really works great. I don't think ill need the WERKS any more jejej. thanks again for your advice.
The car feel really great, my previous car was an IGT8. and the SRX8 feels more responsive, turns great and all around feels a better chasis.

dan_vector likes this.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mfgranizo
Hi, please some help.

I just finished building my srx8. and hopefully this Saturday will trayit in the club. I have the werks 34mm pro clutch 4 alum shoes, that I used previously in my IGT8. and now have problems assembling it whit the stock serpent clutch bell that comes with the kit. as soon I tight the srew the bell does not run free, is stuck . as soon as I loose a litter bit the screw the bell runs free as is supose to be . with the stock serpent clutch I have no problems.

Do any buddy is using the werks clutch_. have the same problem_.

Sorry for my English, im from Guatemala

Sure. You just need to get a shim kit. 3x5x.2 (0.1, 0.15) etc to extend the shaft to gain that small amount of end play you need when the screw is tightened (so your end bell spins)

Regards
BM
Old 05-23-2019, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Team, can you help me understand the difference of the diff design compared to other off-road type diffs in the market? The diff have foam inserts which according to the manual is for relieving pressure. never seen any other diffs with this system. Plus the cross pin also has a set screw holding the cross pin on the cup drive.

How does this work?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Wheelbase

Originally Posted by rccobra705
Are the wheel base short or long on this car?
I can't find the answer anywhere.
Nobody knows, strange
Thanks you guys for the great help
Please don't give me the answer. I will find it somewhere else.
fenton06 likes this.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rccobra705
Nobody knows, strange
Thanks you guys for the great help
Please don't give me the answer. I will find it somewhere else.
short.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Default SRX8GT diffs.

I also was intrigued to see the foam inserts in the diffs.
I for one, am using them. I know some have decided not to.
One tip if you decide to use them.
When assembling the diff. Soak the foam inserts with diff' oil and insert before filling the diff itself.
It makes inserting the wet foam inserts a little easier.
Also. Referring to the diff'. The small set screw (M3 x 4) going into the diff' case itself, is to assemble and access the outdrive drive pin (2.5 x 12) which is usually accessed via the diff' case opening. Does make assembly nice and easy.
But this set screw could also be used to relieve diff' case pressure (a-la- 5th scale diff') when it get's warm.

Regards
BM

Last edited by British Menace; 05-26-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Default How is the car driving?

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Had mine built for a couple of weeks now. Unfortunately bad weather has stopped me running the car.

Car goes together very well only couple of points I found were the front diff eccenters were very tight in the alu bulkheads and needed a bit of sanding to get them to fit properly and allow the front bulkheads to close. The other thing was the rear right chassis brace which (badly) hits the back of the radio tray. I had to cut down the brace to fit. Not major things but still things to watch out for! Enjoy the build.
Hi Dan, i recently just watched a race with the SRX8-GT and i wasn't that impress. The 3.1 seem to hook up much better. I know this could be a setup issue or the driver. On power the back end just didn't look stable and i thought this revised car would have made the car more planted. With that said....

Have you driven the car yet?
What are your impression as it match up to the 3.1?

i want to upgrade but my 3.1 handles real well right now

Last edited by Dougie1986; 05-29-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by British Menace
I also was intrigued to see the foam inserts in the diffs.
I for one, am using them. I know some have decided not to.
One tip if you decide to use them.
When assembling the diff. Soak the foam inserts with diff' oil and insert before filling the diff itself.
It makes inserting the wet foam inserts a little easier.
Also. Referring to the diff'. The small set screw (M3 x 4) going into the diff' case itself, is to assemble and access the outdrive drive pin (2.5 x 12) which is usually accessed via the diff' case opening. Does make assembly nice and easy.
But this set screw could also be used to relieve diff' case pressure (a-la- 5th scale diff') when it get's warm.

Regards
BM
Yes, it's easier to put the drive pin.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
We have run Open Diffs in Rallye Game (Belt driven) for over 25+ years now, no issue. What is quite funny too, is that it should really be a non issue, considering the center diff (two Speed / Spool, whatever is run) has always been open, and in 1/8 buggy too. It will be fine.
Some french drivers have run now around 3 liters of fuel and, no problem about reliability..

dan_vector likes this.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dougie1986
Hi Dan, i recently just watched a race with the SRX8-GT and i wasn't that impress. The 3.1 seem to hook up much better. I know this could be a setup issue or the driver. On power the back end just didn't look stable and i thought this revised car would have made the car more planted. With that said....

Have you driven the car yet?
What are your impression as it match up to the 3.1?

i want to upgrade but my 3.1 handles real well right now
Yes I have now had a chance to drive the car. In summary the SRX8-GT has significantly more potential than the outgoing 3.1

Immediately I have noticed that the SRX8-GT needs a softer suspension setup than the 3.1 as on the 3.1 I was always having to run it super hard and it trashed tires quite quickly but it was fast. With the SRX-GT I can run the car softer in spring and dampening for the same feeling and the car is significantly better on tire wear.

The drivetrain and the gearbox/braking assembly is a much better design as well. Not to mention the radio tray is a massive improvement in functionality and ease of maintenance.

I used to really hate maintaining and working on my 3.1 car and it also made me quite lazy to play with diff setups etc as it was an absolute mission to change either of the diffs. No issue now with the SRX8-GT as it just a dream to work on.

So all in all I'd say go for the upgrade - it is definitely worthwhile. Don't forget that it'll take us a while to get fully up to grips with the SRX8-GT as it is a completely new platform for us but so far I'm just as fast with the SRX8-GT and it feels easier on the edge than the 3.1
sebtarta and savage24x like this.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcindia
Team, can you help me understand the difference of the diff design compared to other off-road type diffs in the market? The diff have foam inserts which according to the manual is for relieving pressure. never seen any other diffs with this system. Plus the cross pin also has a set screw holding the cross pin on the cup drive.

How does this work?
It just allows the expanding diff parts and oil somewhere to go instead of building up pressure inside the diff. In the SRX8 buggy most that I know (including me) do not use them and the diff feels more consistent without the compensators in (seems to go against the theory!). I have built my SRX8-GT diffs with the compensators fitted as I'm thinking the diffs may get hotter in the GT car than the buggy (?) perhaps the effectiveness in the GT might be more apparent? Only testing will find out and I will run diffs without the compensators later in the summer to see how it feels.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Hey Dan,
Are there any setup sheets available yet? Looking for a starting point in the right direction.
Also what's the clutch setup for the new car? Shoes, springs, etc. Combination.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tonylunatic
Hey Dan,
Are there any setup sheets available yet? Looking for a starting point in the right direction.
Also what's the clutch setup for the new car? Shoes, springs, etc. Combination.

You can check the Serpent website, if you type 600057 in the search section you can find setups in the setup section of the car page.
Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.