Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree98Likes

Serpent SRX8-GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

[QUOTE=dan_vector;15693473]This usually happens when you've not maintained the correct shoe gap and the shoes slip around the adapter and jam. Take the gearbox apart and reset the shoes to make the gap between the 2 shoes and the 2 speed bell as small as possible - adjust until the shoe starts to drag and back it off slightly, repeat for the opposite shoe. This gap must be checked and maintained after each day of racing/practice. If the gearbox is correctly maintained it is really very good, particularly the TQ gearbox - it has been bulletproof for me so far.[/QUOTE
okay I will try that. So I need the clutch shoes as close as possible without it dragging along correct? I thought I had it set up properly .
Old 09-25-2020, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OZbryan
Is it shifting really early or is it physically jammed in second?
it’s shifting perfectly but every so often the car will be sluggish accelerating and not shift into second . Meaning it was already in second to start. It goes back to first after the car is in a complete stop
Old 09-26-2020, 08:34 PM
Tech Adept

Default Old GT 4shoe clutch

Does anyone know if the previous clutch and clutch bell will work on the TQ version. I like the old type...
Old 09-27-2020, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

[QUOTE=illmatic94;15694010]
Originally Posted by dan_vector
This usually happens when you've not maintained the correct shoe gap and the shoes slip around the adapter and jam. Take the gearbox apart and reset the shoes to make the gap between the 2 shoes and the 2 speed bell as small as possible - adjust until the shoe starts to drag and back it off slightly, repeat for the opposite shoe. This gap must be checked and maintained after each day of racing/practice. If the gearbox is correctly maintained it is really very good, particularly the TQ gearbox - it has been bulletproof for me so far.[/QUOTE
okay I will try that. So I need the clutch shoes as close as possible without it dragging along correct? I thought I had it set up properly .
Yes, tighten the shoes so they just start to drag one by one and then back the grub screws off an 1/8 turn. Check it after each day of practice or racing, maintaining the gap is critical for reliable operation of the 2 speed.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skydark_34
Does anyone know if the previous clutch and clutch bell will work on the TQ version. I like the old type...
Do you mind if I ask why you prefer the old clutch? I'd recommend that you persevere with the new style clutch and concentrate on setting the clutch up accurately and properly as it is infinitely better than the old style clutch, especially on track. I guess if you are bashing around off a proper track or around a parking lot then perhaps the old style clutch might be a better choice as its a fit and forget type solution that'll just work, until it doesn't!

So to directly answer your question, yes the old style clutch fits the TQ car without any issues.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by illmatic94
it’s shifting perfectly but every so often the car will be sluggish accelerating and not shift into second . Meaning it was already in second to start. It goes back to first after the car is in a complete stop
Yep as Dan said, make sure that gap is minimal. that should help.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by illmatic94
Anyone else have a 2 speed that stays in 2nd gear ? Doesn’t always do it but will be from time to time. I’m running the new style 2 speed as well.
Unless you have the new TQ 2speed the stuff below applies to your situation:

Everyone including myself was dealing with this issue. What I ended up doing was replacing the 2 speed shaft & clutch shoes with new ones and drilling out the M3 grub screw holes and tapping them with a M4 tap. Get 2 M4x4 set screws, flatten the bottoms and you are set.

Just watch Michael Salvens tutorial on this issue.

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10218145965949144&id=14883176 67&_rdr

Apparently they solved the issue on the new SRX 8 GT TQ 2speed assembly.
illmatic94 likes this.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cansoykal
Unless you have the new TQ 2speed the stuff below applies to your situation:

Everyone including myself was dealing with this issue. What I ended up doing was replacing the 2 speed shaft & clutch shoes with new ones and drilling out the M3 grub screw holes and tapping them with a M4 tap. Get 2 M4x4 set screws, flatten the bottoms and you are set.

Just watch Michael Salvens tutorial on this issue.

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10218145965949144&id=14883176 67&_rdr

Apparently they solved the issue on the new SRX 8 GT TQ 2speed assembly.
Thanks, is the TQ 2 speed a straight drop onto the previous gen? Any other mods required?
Old 09-27-2020, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Do you mind if I ask why you prefer the old clutch? I'd recommend that you persevere with the new style clutch and concentrate on setting the clutch up accurately and properly as it is infinitely better than the old style clutch, especially on track. I guess if you are bashing around off a proper track or around a parking lot then perhaps the old style clutch might be a better choice as its a fit and forget type solution that'll just work, until it doesn't!

So to directly answer your question, yes the old style clutch fits the TQ car without any issues.

thanks for the info Dan,
well at our place there track was made up of parking lot so it isn’t a proper one...since i have fair abit leftover of the previous clutch,so not to waste it just slap it on and run it in the weekend...
of course when it goes to racing at a proper track dropping in the new style and get it set up right and go...the proper track is few hrs drive from our place and due to C-19 restriction ...bla bla bla...

so i think the new style is wasted here on the weekends...😅
dan_vector likes this.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:47 AM
Tech Initiate

You need a few new bits to fit it.
Gearbox upgrade set XLI gen2 SRX8 GT (SER601172) https://www.serpent.com/xcart/cart.p...oduct_id=11339
Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rcindia
Thanks, is the TQ 2 speed a straight drop onto the previous gen? Any other mods required?
You need a few new bits to fit it.
Gearbox upgrade set XLI gen2 SRX8 GT (SER601172) https://www.serpent.com/xcart/cart.p...oduct_id=11339
Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

The app So Dialed now includes SRX8 GT to keep setup changes, and also gives some tips.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

What kind of body is displayed for this car? Is that the blitz body?
Old 10-06-2020, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Yes, the Blitz GT3
Old 10-06-2020, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

I have an honest question about this class. Asking here, because an SRX-8 GT would be my kit of choice if I were to lean this way, and you will notice why if you keep reading... Anyway, after almost 20 years away from the hobby, I will be dipping back into Nitro soon, with a 750 EVO in hand to get acclimated once again. I raced 1:8th scale (somewhat briefly) many years ago with a second hand Sprint 6000, purchased after the Excel had just released. Years later, I ran my Impulse StreetSpec for a little under a year before life threw a few more lemons at me again. So now, I'll be at it again soon (thanks, Pandemic), and I'm sure that the allure of 8th scale will bite me again if I find myself enjoying it as much as I ever have.

That being said, I had the chance to attend the GT World's warmup late last year on the final day of qualifying (unfortunately, I could not get away to attend the WC that particular week), and I found this class to be rather intriguing with its own set of challenges... Which begs me to ask, who is this class meant to draw, exactly? Granted, for those heavily vested in competition on a grand scale (the traveling racer, if you will), a class that is recognized by IFMAR for WC contention is going to propel its own interest. But overall, before a WC for the class was even declared, was this class initially promoted by the early manufacturers as an alternate class to the traditional 8th scale class? Or meant as more of a feeder class to entice drivers to make that step up to the "Formula 1" of RC? I really liked the year or so I spent running 200mm TC with my Impulse, and I'm looking forward to experiencing it again. Just wondering if there are any significant + or - points about running GT vs. traditional 1:8th (or vice-versa)? As a 2nd class, of course.

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 10-06-2020 at 06:01 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.