Search
Like Tree47Likes

2019 Midwest Nitro series

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 2019 Midwest Nitro series

Might as well start the 2019 Thread with the new Schedule. As many of you know, the loss of Leisure Hours put an unexpected wrinkle in the anticipated schedule. This is the best option to both avoid as many of the holidays and big racers around the country that we could do, and still not stack the Midwest Series races on top of each other. I will be updating this first post later this weekend with some clarification to classes and rules, to clear up a few gray areas with scoring and tie breakers and a few other tidbits.

May 18/19 Toledo

June 15/16 Lincoln, Ne

July 13/14 Toledo

August 10/11 Cincinnati

September 14/15 Location TBD

October 5/6 Cincinnati
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Which weekend will GLC be?
Old 02-18-2019, 10:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I think the GLC date is set by the Ohio club
Old 02-19-2019, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer
Which weekend will GLC be?
Originally Posted by ltrdude
I think the GLC date is set by the Ohio club
You are correct but I can say it will be August 23rd-25th, the week before Labor day weekend.
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks Ken. Can’t wait!
Old 03-20-2019, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

WOW 50 years. That’s a long time and something to be proud of, for those people who started it all, and those of us fortunate enough to still be able to enjoy it. As we approach the second half of this hopefully centennial affair, I’d like everyone to think about how they got started. What did it take to get us hooked on RC, and how can we help grow the next generation to carry on in the next 50 years.

The season is almost upon us, I’m sure everyone is anxious to hit the track and burn some nitro. I’d like to take some time and go over a few things before we all get started.

1) First and foremost is a reminder that this is a hobby and the ultimate goal is to have fun and earn a few bragging rights along the way.

2) For this season I would to emphasis GROWTH of the hobby. I’m always hearing in the pits about how we need new racers, or what happen to so and so. Well, I’m challenging each and every one of you to do something, anything, to get a new face on the driver stand. We all have friends who might like to try RC, or we know that guy who used to but for whatever reason stopped. Let’s reach out to those people and get them to the track, even if it’s just to watch. Many of us are willing to loan cars for a few laps, the GT and Pan cars are especially suited for the job. We also welcome any ideas to help encourage new racers.

3) Qualifying will be rocket round format as in years past. While I think the Qual Points format has merit, the current software is not capable of tweaking it to the needs and tradition of the Midwest Series so we will be returning to single fastest round.

4) Tie-Breakers. The last few seasons have seen some VERY close point tallies. Just as a clarification and to lay it out up front, tie breakers will be determined by the single highest finish. In the event the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th race finish match for the effected drivers, we will look at the single best dropped raced, and it that event still produces a tie we will just have a tie for that spot as the official result.

5) Classes all the usual with 1/8 pan, TC and TC Masters running together and scored separately, 1/8 open and 1/8 masters running together and scored separately, AND a return of 1/8 GT. We will also continue the rotation of running order as we did last year in an effort to prevent the ‘always last class’ from being the ‘always rained out’.

6) Daily points tally, we will use the long standing system that has been used with no changes. A full points break out can be found at Midwest Series - R/C OnRoad Racing

7) Overall season tally will be the best 4 races out of the 6 (possibly 5 this year due to the loss of Leisure Hours and various uncertainties at this time) events.

8) The GT and Pan car classes will have a small tweak to encourage GROWTH of our series. Points for these classes will be tallied based on the car. This is intended to encourage (but by no means require) a newer or existing driver to try a class or hobby that they otherwise would not. Many times someone would be willing to loan a car but don’t want to completely loose series points, or maybe they want a second class but it’s asking a lot for a pit guy to pit two classes with no return consideration. Perhaps some guys can share a car amongst themselves and take turns being the odd man out……. THIS EXCEPTION IS ONLY FOR THE GT AND PAN CAR CLASSES, and is meant to encourage growth, fun and general camaraderie. In addition the car owner is expected to be present and otherwise capable of running, it will not take the place of a no show driver simply sending a ringer to earn points.

9) Masters : After numerous discussions and an online poll, STARTING IN 2020, Master age will be raised to 50. Anyone who raced masters in 2018, or will in race it 2019, will be eligible to be grandfathered in. Simply being eligible and not running masters does not earn you a Grandfather spot.
Rick Vessell and ToysRUsKid like this.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Can't wait to be a part of this 50th season of the MWS. Thanks for all your efforts to make this a season to remember.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Ken is correct. GLC 23-25 Aug, 2019.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Could we get a head count on pan cars going to make trip to Lincoln Ne?
Old 05-06-2019, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Weather is looking good and all the Midwest Series tracks have started their local programs. Just under 2 weeks and the Midwest Series will kick off it's 50th season. We have some great door prizes in already and more on the way. We will also be doing T-Shirts this year, I'll have more info on that at the 1st race.

As always a big thanks to our continued sponsors, Laser Products, Gravity RC, ProLevel, RC America, RCTarget, and more to come. Remember to show your support for the sponsors and your local tracks and hobby shops.

Remember, Bring a friend, share a car, help grow this hobby for the next 50 years.

GT Drivers, don't forget you asked for the class to come back, here it is. Lets get a great turnout and hopefully we can see it on the GLC list again this year.
Rick Vessell and GrandeGixxer like this.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:01 AM
Tech Champion

Speaking of growth, how about some pics. Some of these tracks look great. Track, stand, pit area, camp, whatever.

Most nitro off road tracks look like junkyards, or worse. If ya'll posted how much nicer on road is........ Not to mention that there's plenty of off road nitro racers getting a bit exhausted by big air tracks and the constant repairs that go with them.

I might swing by Toledo to see what's up, with 1/8th open. Maybe watch the mains for the nationals, if I can get a local racer or two to split gas with. Not sure if it's something I want to try next year. Is it a pita to find a pit guy? I might have that covered, but might not.

How about trailers? I don't think I want to race outdoors without one, ever again. I see that some races are at malls with plenty of parking. I'd likely do the hotel bit for a year or so. But travel+hotels+ endless dirt scrubbing, wore me out on nitro off road, eventually. Don't want to repeat that after investing in on road.
acsilver likes this.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 05-08-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Speaking of growth, how about some pics. Some of these tracks look great. Track, stand, pit area, camp, whatever.

Most nitro off road tracks look like junkyards, or worse. If ya'll posted how much nicer on road is........ Not to mention that there's plenty of off road nitro racers getting a bit exhausted by big air tracks and the constant repairs that go with them.

I might swing by Toledo to see what's up, with 1/8th open. Maybe watch the mains for the nationals, if I can get a local racer or two to split gas with. Not sure if it's something I want to try next year. Is it a pita to find a pit guy? I might have that covered, but might not.

How about trailers? I don't think I want to race outdoors without one, ever again. I see that some races are at malls with plenty of parking. I'd likely do the hotel bit for a year or so. But travel+hotels+ endless dirt scrubbing, wore me out on nitro off road, eventually. Don't want to repeat that after investing in on road.
check out the Midwest Series - R/C OnRoad Racing for some pics Also the face book page. Trailers not a problem, but most use ez up. Toledo has 2 nice covered areas. Pit guys not a problem. either.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

Cool thanks.

I still use an easy up trackside, but outdoor rc without a trailer or rv is something I want to avoid in a year or two.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 05-08-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Who, miller tyme and Farmer_John like this.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~
uw, uw, I know. I know. The one on the left. I know I am right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.