Search
Like Tree2Likes

Ceramic Thrust Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 10:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mustangkillaz
oilite is a great idea in this application. Thing is, it's too brittle and may have longevity issues. Sintered metal here is probably not the way to go.
I've never had an Oilite bushing crack. Brass is pretty resilient stuff. It's certainly worth a try, anyway; if the bushing does crack, then you can move on to more-maintenance-intensive solutions.

As for wear: Remember, Oilite is not just sintered brass. It's sintered brass that is stuck in a vacuum chamber to remove all the air from the gaps between the brass granules, then dunked in oil so the oil soaks into the gaps and stays there. That extra little bit of oil significantly increases the bushing's longevity, since brass is already a self-polishing alloy. Oilite was originally invented as a bushing material for coolant pumps in automobiles, which run for YEARS with no maintenance whatsoever.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:09 AM
Tech Lord

Oilite could be a thing to look at. I have found some companies that sells plain bars and also thrust washers.

A bushung handles much different and lower forces than a thrust washer, as mentioned I had made washers from a bearing bronze and they were gone in a moment. They were squeezed.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigC2007
Ha Ralph will never give up racing, its in his blood.
it really is the best tool I own its such a pain with the caliper u have to recheck it like 3 times that tool is the shit@@ and u right I could never give up racing even without a track ill race around the sewer cap in the street!! lol
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ralphierace13
it really is the best tool I own its such a pain with the caliper u have to recheck it like 3 times that tool is the shit@@ and u right I could never give up racing even without a track ill race around the sewer cap in the street!! lol
Hey Ralph can you take a picture of the tool you have or made ? how much did it cost you ?
Old 11-29-2017, 10:42 AM
Tech Lord

Xceed Digital Centax Gap Tool - RACERS RC
Old 11-29-2017, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
Thanks Roelof but I think someone had mention that Ralph made his own. But am looking into getting one of these due I keep blowing out my thrust bearings and I think its because am not setting my gaps right.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:45 AM
Tech Lord

Blowing thrust bearings is more about too much endplay.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Thanks Roelof but I think someone had mention that Ralph made his own. But am looking into getting one of these due I keep blowing out my thrust bearings and I think its because am not setting my gaps right.
Normally thrust bearings fail becaus of too much end play. Once you have the clutch gap correct or close (normally between 0,5 and 0,7mm) just shim out the end play with shims between flywheel nut and inner bearing untill you have the least amount of end play without the bell feeling tight on rotation. In my opinion anything over 0,1 is too much.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
Blowing thrust bearings is more about too much endplay.
Originally Posted by Julius
Normally thrust bearings fail becaus of too much end play. Once you have the clutch gap correct or close (normally between 0,5 and 0,7mm) just shim out the end play with shims between flywheel nut and inner bearing untill you have the least amount of end play without the bell feeling tight on rotation. In my opinion anything over 0,1 is too much.
Thanks guys and yeah I think my end play is more then .01.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Ralph can you take a picture of the tool you have or made ? how much did it cost you ?
It's exactly like the exceed one just black and silver mine was made by a private guy think I paid 100 bucks
Old 11-29-2017, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ralphierace13
It's exactly like the exceed one just black and silver mine was made by a private guy think I paid 100 bucks
Ok Ralph thanks