R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Ceramic Thrust Bearings (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/1003057-ceramic-thrust-bearings.html)

BigC2007 11-19-2017 07:18 AM

Ceramic Thrust Bearings

Anyone use them and if so what is your take on them are the worth getting ?

Roelof 11-19-2017 08:19 AM

As with every discussion: is ceramics better?

If it is for the clutch I do not even use a bearing... When does the thrustbearing actually works. Only on the moment the clutch engages. With Idle it runs free due the play and on high revs it is standing still.

Does it need a performance or a light resistance?
No, because when the cluch is engaging there is already a huge slip withthe clutch shoe and bell...
So Because the thrust bearing can fail in a race I eliminate the chance on a failure to zero by replacing the ring with the balls with a brass 10x5 washer with some greese.

http://www.euronet.nl/users/tooms/koppeling/messing.jpg

See it as a ball less bearing

BigC2007 11-19-2017 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 15082292)

If it is for the clutch I do not even use a bearing... When does the thrustbearing actually works. Only on the moment the clutch engages. With Idle it runs free due the play and on high revs it is standing still.

No, because when the cluch is engaging there is already a huge slip withthe clutch shoe and bell...
So Because the thrust bearing can fail in a race I eliminate the chance on a failure to zero by replacing the ring with the balls with a brass 10x5 washer with some greese.

Good info thanks

mustangkillaz 11-19-2017 12:58 PM

Not needed here. Taking the extra chance of fractures in this application not worth it. A thin film of high quality grease is enough. The more grease you add, the more dirt sticks around. Use it sparingly.

BigC2007 11-19-2017 07:54 PM

What happeneds for the symptoms when a thrust bearing fails ?

Roelof 11-19-2017 11:53 PM

When the thrust bearing fails you get:
- changing ways of how the clutch engages, from low rpm to many slip.
- when all the balls are out the clutch will stop working

BigC2007 11-20-2017 08:51 AM

What kind of high quality grease do I use with I run without the thrust bearing ?

Roelof 11-20-2017 09:42 AM

The same grease, the white which came with the Mugen kit. It is a bearing grease of which I also did get a large tube.

BigC2007 11-20-2017 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 15083166)
The same grease, the white which came with the Mugen kit. It is a bearing grease of which I also did get a large tube.

Cool thanks for the info.

GrandeGixxer 11-20-2017 12:25 PM

I use Lucas oil red and tacky.

lil-bump 11-21-2017 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 15082292)

I've used a brass bushing before. Do you flip the end plates around and use the flat surface without the bearing races? You just need keep track of the wear on the brass bushing thru out it's life span.

Pass you soon...

mustangkillaz 11-21-2017 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by BigC2007 (Post 15083119)
What kind of high quality grease do I use with I run without the thrust bearing ?

Depends on what washer you end up with. Brass is soft and I dunno how long it will last. A durable yellow metal would be a bronze alloy and I don't know if they are readily avail. I would do a graphite or Teflon solid type grease on brass and on bronze type, any good general grease should be ok. It has to be very light if you go to this, any excess grease will attract dirt.

fyrstormer 11-21-2017 06:15 PM

I use ceramic bearings in my clutches because I can run them without lubrication to keep the inside of the clutch from being contaminated. I have ceramic clutch bearings several years old that still work fine, despite being run without lubrication from the moment I installed them.

If you want to use a brass washer instead of a thrust bearing in a Centax clutch, you should use an Oilite bushing instead, because it will supply its own lubrication as it wears-down.

bertrandsv87 11-21-2017 06:19 PM

The brass bushing idea is pretty clever if you polish all three plates and the bolt to the point where there would be almost no friction between them with bushing lube or bestline powertrain lube. You can thereby eliminate grease totally, and avoid the mess... I have used the master formula polish on brass bushings before and they can get super smooth enough to do away with balls for good....

BigC2007 11-21-2017 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by fyrstormer (Post 15084545)
I use ceramic bearings in my clutches because I can run them without lubrication to keep the inside of the clutch from being contaminated. I have ceramic clutch bearings several years old that still work fine, despite being run without lubrication from the moment I installed them.

If you want to use a brass washer instead of a thrust bearing in a Centax clutch, you should use an Oilite bushing instead, because it will supply its own lubrication as it wears-down.

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 (Post 15084549)
The brass bushing idea is pretty clever if you polish all three plates and the bolt to the point where there would be almost no friction between them with bushing lube or bestline powertrain lube. You can thereby eliminate grease totally, and avoid the mess... I have used the master formula polish on brass bushings before and they can get super smooth enough to do away with balls for good....

Good info thanks Guys