Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 4.0 buggy ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrTANKem
Can you share a link? I have tried a couple drill blanks and they both have been too soft and bend easier than the 3.0 hinge pins. Most blanks are pre-hardened and hardened ones are $$$$.
I ordered mine from our military vendors and haven't ordered any since so Im not sure but im sure you can find some online. Any tool steel drill blank will be infinitely harder than any hinge pin a rc company offers. In my experience you will rip any arm off in a crash before a drill blank bends.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i cannot believe all the people pissing and moaning about sae or metric....if you can't buy a couple extra wrenches you're in the wrong sport....one guy even said i'm not putting a 2mm in the one it almost fits(5/64")....you showed just how f'n stupid you are as the 2mm is actually a hair tighter in a 5/64 which is better moron....can we please just focus on the car and not the hardware.....very exited about the 4.0 coming out....so obviously there are kits out there.... it is done...doesn't anyone know when it coming??
Old 11-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Next-Level-Inc
i cannot believe all the people pissing and moaning about sae or metric....if you can't buy a couple extra wrenches you're in the wrong sport....one guy even said i'm not putting a 2mm in the one it almost fits(5/64")....you showed just how f'n stupid you are as the 2mm is actually a hair tighter in a 5/64 which is better moron....can we please just focus on the car and not the hardware.....very exited about the 4.0 coming out....so obviously there are kits out there.... it is done...doesn't anyone know when it coming??
It isn't worth getting upset about but it would be nice to see them convert to an industry standard. I know for me it would be frustrating since its not just tools but hardware as well like screws servo arms ext. I have a huge stock of metric hardware and having to buy all new hardware would be extra money and frustration, also if you strip or break something and don't have it on hand its harder to find someone in the pits that might have extra. All in all it wouldn't prevent me from purchasing the car but to me its a missed opportunity to not make a whole new platform metric to conform to the rest of the industry...thats all

edit....also the other thing that doesn't make sense is that their 10th scale uses metric??
Old 11-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 241 (100%+)

Losi is still using plastic injection molds from the 1.0 so I'm sure that's part of the reason for not switching hardware.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:28 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scythe23
It isn't worth getting upset about but it would be nice to see them convert to an industry standard. I know for me it would be frustrating since its not just tools but hardware as well like screws servo arms ext. I have a huge stock of metric hardware and having to buy all new hardware would be extra money and frustration, also if you strip or break something and don't have it on hand its harder to find someone in the pits that might have extra. All in all it wouldn't prevent me from purchasing the car but to me its a missed opportunity to not make a whole new platform metric to conform to the rest of the industry...thats all

edit....also the other thing that doesn't make sense is that their 10th scale uses metric??
The cost of converting an existing platform from SAE to metric or vice versa, is insane and causes tons and tons of backwards compatibility issues. Would it be nice, yes. Will we ever due a new ground up platform in SAE again, probably not. It is reasonable to change an existing platform from SAE to Metric, absolutely not.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro_mt_racer
Losi is still using plastic injection molds from the 1.0 so I'm sure that's part of the reason for not switching hardware.
Are the holes moulded in or drilled in? I would think things like hingepins and screw holes would be easier to drill in afterwards then trying to make hot plastic leave a circle, in which case theyd only need to change drill bits. Who knows, they dont seem to care that every other car on the market uses metric and their using old hardware on new cars, so will just have to let them be
Old 11-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Frank Root
The cost of converting an existing platform from SAE to metric or vice versa, is insane and causes tons and tons of backwards compatibility issues. Would it be nice, yes. Will we ever due a new ground up platform in SAE again, probably not. It is reasonable to change an existing platform from SAE to Metric, absolutely not.
Oh I can imagine, I understand how much molds cost and like I said it is far from a deal breaker for me. I haven't had a losi 8th scale since the original 8ight. This looks like a nice upgrade and I wasn't bashing the 4.0 by any means. My only point was that while its not enough to complain about it is a frustration coming from another platform having to buy all new tools and hardware. I understand that no car is perfect and have driven a mp9 and d815 recently and while I love both of them there are parts of the car that I can't stand but as a whole I like them enough to live with what I don't like. Im sure that this new 4.0 has plenty of things that make up for any short comings like SAE hardware but it would still have been great to see a switch to metric. Anyway enough on the topic and good luck with the new car!
Old 11-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by scythe23
My only point was that while its not enough to complain about it is a frustration coming from another platform having to buy all new tools and hardware.
But then all us losi eight owners would have to buy all new metric tools and hardware (Spare screws/nuts etc) if they made the new buggy metric..
Old 11-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

15 pages in and there is still discussion of the least relevant issue that can be discussed....smh....at this point, the box art is more relevant hahah
Old 11-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Someone needs to find a company that can make screw kits that have SAE threads with metric hex holes. I worked on some equipment that had the opposite of that a year or so back so I figure the hardware probably already exists somewhere.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

LMOA! there a lot of talk over 3 allen wrenches!
I myself cant wait for the buggy/truggy!!!!! Hopefully by the Brawl race at badlands!!!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It was funny someone said it was gonna cost him $120 to have standard tools for the car!!! Wow!!
Old 11-06-2015, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It would, i dont know imperial sizes but to buy metric id need, 1.5mm, 2mm, 2,5 and 2.5 ball, 3mm, 2 and 2.5 power tip, i dont know if they use metric nuts or not but assume not, so a 5.5 and 7mm nut driver, if we say an average price of $17 each (amain) comes to $153. not including all the spare screws nuts etc that one buys incase they are needed. even if i didnt get power tips and just the bare essentials, its $119.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:31 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MX304
Someone needs to find a company that can make screw kits that have SAE threads with metric hex holes. I worked on some equipment that had the opposite of that a year or so back so I figure the hardware probably already exists somewhere.
Sure, it can be custom made. If you want some, let me know. It will start at 1,000 pieces per size.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:32 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RandyJones
It was funny someone said it was gonna cost him $120 to have standard tools for the car!!! Wow!!
Speed tips, all regular tipped MIP drivers, then all ball drivers. Not all of us are direct customers like you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.