Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Whats wrong with this* brand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I like this thread to see what everyone's experience is. I see things like HB parts breaking and wearing fast. I agree they get slop fast (at least the D8 & D8T - only a couple races on my D812) but they run better with the slop. I have run HB cars in literally below freezing conditions and have never broken a part due to cold, and can could on one hand the number of parts I've broken in the 6 years I have ran HB. I am not a "Pro" by any means. If that is not durable, I do not know what is. As far as parts, for me, getting parts was difficult last year, but everywhere (amain, absolute, tower - cough-, redrock) has them. I get a lot of the stuff for back ups from ebay cause people part kits and I can get a full front/rear diff set up for $30.

Now, when I had a Kyosho, I had to boil every plastic part I bought because you never knew what plastic they were using this week, and arms would snap like a twig in any weather (but especially cold).

Just my $.02. Keep this going, it is very enlightening and enjoyable.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Im sure Thacher was just ribbing JQ. We all know him due to his extended (unwanted?) stays in Cali. If you met JQ you would know he has a good sense of humor and can dish it out and take it with the best of them.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well im gonna leave out the other brand,s since I Have never owned or driven them.So I think it would be unfair to comment about them.
Associated-Truggy needs updating.Same with buggy. Plastics and cvd,s do wear quickly but very durable. Yeah I Crash a lot!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

These threads are like a - holes everyone has one oops I mean opinions LOL
Old 07-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
These threads are like a - holes everyone has one oops I mean opinions LOL
Well yeah but it can stay civil, no need to defend aggressively your opinion We're here to read other's experiences at least I am and I like reading them.
OTOH I see what you are trying to say, some people can't tune a car to their driving style or improve a design flaw, that's why we should talk about our experiences.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

HBD812- Pretty awesome car. Great ideas but not Xray quality but neither is the price. Part support is gaining a lot of traction. Easy to drive but seems like you need a lot of motor to move the car due to stock gearing. Very strong car.

Losi 3.0- I think the 3.0 is a tick better than the 2.0. Seems like the larger bore shocks simply settled the car. In my experience, if you like to race without working on the car most of the day then this is the car. Car lacks a lot of adjustments but they did their homework when designing the car so are these missing holes necessary ? Part support is one of the best in the business.

JQ- If you owned or drove the Yellow Edtion, forget everything you know. The White Edition is a totally new car. Car drives good once you find a setup you like. This could be time consuming with all the possibilities. Car is strong with minimal wear. Fit and finish could be better.

Intech BR6- Possibly the sleeper car of the year. By far the best wearing car I've owned. Setup it pretty simple and straight forward. Car has a lot of Xray in it. They need a driver to promote it.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Agama -Never seen one. Supply / support seem to be minimal

Associated -Outdated. Can be good with a ton of option parts added to it.

Durango -I don't like the way the drive, but good quality. I am looking forward to trying the new one when it is released.

Hot Bodies - Overall a good car. Needs the new radio tray released sooner than later. Hard to get parts.

JQ -Never seen one of these either.

Kyosho -Too ^%$! expensive, tend to be fragile. Handle great though.

Losi -Hard to drive, hard to set up, parts wear out too quickly.

Mugen -Missed it big time with the 7. 6 was a great car except for the weak a-arms. 7 still has weak arms and is very hard to drive. No rear grip at all on a low grip track.

Serpent -Never driven one of their nitro cars but I like the e-car. Good build quality, kind of a pain in the butt to work on.

SWORKz -Good car, but they need to improve the quality of some of the parts. I think they will be a big player soon.

Tekno -Not the easiest one to drive for some, but I like the cars a lot. Great build quality, need no upgrades out of the box. The fuel tank issues was a low point, but their customer service is second to none, and they got it fixed.

XRAY -The XB9 is one of my favorite cars. Easy to drive and set up. Missed it big time with the XB8.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Tech Addict

Please don't read this wrong, I have more positive comments/opinions than negative for most of these products. But to stay on topic, I'm going to list only negative things I've noticed. I hate being negative, but if the ones that can make a difference are reading this and have tough skin, they can use our feedback to make their products better.

My opinion on a perfect buggy in order of importance is:

1. It handles well in all track conditions. Weather it's adjustable and/or it just works with one setup, I don't care as long as I get support or can easily find the setup.
2. durable and will not break. I've driven buggies a few tenths faster, but it's pointless if it breaks. Let's be honest.... most buggies will turn fast laps with the right setup, but not all can give you piece of mind that it will finish.
3. Consistent and quality manufacturing process. I want every part I buy to fit with minimum shimming and tweaking to get the buggy to feel smooth and free with no slop. I also don't want to buy a part that fits perfect and the next time I buy it the mold tolerances are slightly different and I have to dremel, shim, or polish so it fits right.
4. low maintenance, low wear, easy to work on (I spend at least hours of time wrenching for minutes of racetime. I prefer to wrench less if possible)

If I can have all of these, cost is the last thing that would matter to me. I'd pay double to have all 4 above... not 3 but all 4...

These opinions weigh heavily on how I choose a buggy and why I have the following improvement feedback below:

Agama - Only driven but never owned. Feels fast but hard to drive. You need to concentrate at all times to keep the rear end in check. Wouldn't buy unless they prove themselves.
Associated - High wear, high maintenance. Couldn't find a setup on rough/high speed track.
Durango - Never driven. Looks promising and would try it but waiting for it to deliver results.
Hot Bodies - high wear rate. Would try again if wear rate was reduced
JQ - i've only owned the original car. A handful on rough tracks. Landed inconsistently. Inconsistent fit and finish. I have heard quality has improved and I would try again if quality improves to top tier.
Kyosho - only driven - no negative comments other than I've seen them break at the worst times. Would try if they make it more consistent durability wise.
Losi - owned the 2.0. sloppy so you can't copy anyones setup. high drivetrain wear. Losi clutch is high maintenance, high wear, and expensive to maintain. Would try the 3.0 if they fix the wear rate and slop.
Mugen - Owned MBX6. Weird flame out issues. Chassis tweaks and bends easy. Breaks at the worst time. I had a 10-25% DNFs with this buggy. I don't crash much but when I do......
Serpent - never owned but I built and have driven one. brakes feel inconsistent and i never figured them out. I don't like the center drivetrain bearing config.
SWORKz - Never driven and won't buy until they deliver results.
Tekno - Never driven and won't buy until they deliver results.
XRAY - Parts quality (inconsistency of fitment of plastic parts ie:where the bearings mount) has dropped a bit but still top tier IMO. For a company that revises once a year, historically they are slow to react to customer feedback for improvements or problems. They come out with a new buggy and don't fix some of the long standing issues. Sometimes it takes a for few years. examples of fixed issues that took a while to fix: center drivetrain bearing maintenance issue needing rebuild and regrease every 3hrs, shock improvements for droop and bore size/valving, shock o-ring swelling)

I like this tread, as long as it stays as a forum for feedback. People get too brand defensive here.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by razo125
Please don't read this wrong, I have more positive comments/opinions than negative for most of these products. But to stay on topic, I'm going to list only negative things I've noticed. I hate being negative, but if the ones that can make a difference are reading this and have tough skin, they can use our feedback to make their products better.

My opinion on a perfect buggy in order of importance is:

1. It handles well in all track conditions. Weather it's adjustable and/or it just works with one setup, I don't care as long as I get support or can easily find the setup.
2. durable and will not break. I've driven buggies a few tenths faster, but it's pointless if it breaks. Let's be honest.... most buggies will turn fast laps with the right setup, but not all can give you piece of mind that it will finish.
3. Consistent and quality manufacturing process. I want every part I buy to fit with minimum shimming and tweaking to get the buggy to feel smooth and free with no slop. I also don't want to buy a part that fits perfect and the next time I buy it the mold tolerances are slightly different and I have to dremel, shim, or polish so it fits right.
4. low maintenance, low wear, easy to work on (I spend at least hours of time wrenching for minutes of racetime. I prefer to wrench less if possible)

If I can have all of these, cost is the last thing that would matter to me. I'd pay double to have all 4 above... not 3 but all 4...

These opinions weigh heavily on how I choose a buggy and why I have the following improvement feedback below:

Agama - Only driven but never owned. Feels fast but hard to drive. You need to concentrate at all times to keep the rear end in check. Wouldn't buy unless they prove themselves.
Associated - High wear, high maintenance. Couldn't find a setup on rough/high speed track.
Durango - Never driven. Looks promising and would try it but waiting for it to deliver results.
Hot Bodies - high wear rate. Would try again if wear rate was reduced
JQ - i've only owned the original car. A handful on rough tracks. Landed inconsistently. Inconsistent fit and finish. I have heard quality has improved and I would try again if quality improves to top tier.
Kyosho - only driven - no negative comments other than I've seen them break at the worst times. Would try if they make it more consistent durability wise.
Losi - owned the 2.0. sloppy so you can't copy anyones setup. high drivetrain wear. Losi clutch is high maintenance, high wear, and expensive to maintain. Would try the 3.0 if they fix the wear rate and slop.
Mugen - Owned MBX6. Weird flame out issues. Chassis tweaks and bends easy. Breaks at the worst time. I had a 10-25% DNFs with this buggy. I don't crash much but when I do......
Serpent - never owned but I built and have driven one. brakes feel inconsistent and i never figured them out. I don't like the center drivetrain bearing config.
SWORKz - Never driven and won't buy until they deliver results.
Tekno - Never driven and won't buy until they deliver results.
XRAY - Parts quality (inconsistency of fitment of plastic parts ie:where the bearings mount) has dropped a bit but still top tier IMO. For a company that revises once a year, historically they are slow to react to customer feedback for improvements or problems. They come out with a new buggy and don't fix some of the long standing issues. Sometimes it takes a for few years. examples of fixed issues that took a while to fix: center drivetrain bearing maintenance issue needing rebuild and regrease every 3hrs, shock improvements for droop and bore size/valving, shock o-ring swelling)

I like this tread, as long as it stays as a forum for feedback. People get too brand defensive here.

Out of curiosity what does Deliver Results mean to you?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DRCRacer299
Out of curiosity what does Deliver Results mean to you?
I'd like at least the top 3 out of 4 items on my "perfect car" wishlist
Old 07-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Agama - Never owned
Associated - My RC8T was great, to many horror stories from good mates to even consider the buggy.
Durango - Never owned, rare in oz
Hot Bodies -Never owned but I barely see these in Australia, possibly poor marketing in Oz and severe lack of pro drivers?
JQ - Watching mates have no end of problems, though they say the car is pretty awesome except for the falling apart.
Kyosho - Never owned, mates that own them swear by them but the DNF's I see with them by lesser racers seems to suggest that the front end is fragile and reading how quick they wear out has put me off plus they are so damn expensive its ridiculous.
Losi - 2.0 was good, but car went sloppy so so fast and got tired of popping drive shafts out on flex of arms. Imperial so that sucked
Mugen - Good for strength and long life, seems to be chasing setup every time I go to new track with the buggy, recently found a happy medium with the mbx7 and glad arms are stronger now. MBX7T has been great so far
Serpent - Darty strange engineered thing, pain to work on, no thanks
SWORKz - Nope, previously dist in Australia went belly up, new one has only just started
Tekno - Not avail in Australia
XRAY - Had XB9 13 and XB8'14 for a while and did not break any parts. Fantastic car for finishing races, was very happy with the 9, never came to grips with the xb8 setup.

My racing has become limited in recent times due to real life issue so I have opted to buy and steer a mugen truggy, less dicking around with setup
Old 07-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

All cars have there kinks. It is up to you what you get.

If you listened to everyone regarding what to buy ..... YOU'D BUY NOTHING ...

Yes I'm a SERPENT lover things are different on them but not any harder to work on than other brands, tray looks difficult but isn't really. Truggy rear diff fixed with no further problems. The only car at the nationals that didn't break at all...... 3 years and no arms breaking, no diff failures (after the V2 with larger bearing), can't fault it personally and I've owned a few different brands
LOSI
XRAY
ASSOCIATED
Just to name a few and all as good as one another in the right hands, if your ruff and tumble any car is going to give you grief.

Answer this question GMH or FORD you'll get all the same answers

Last edited by DIRTMONKEY; 07-23-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The Three I have Owned.

Mugen MBX6R- Very stable car, excellent fit and finish. Did seem like its a car that prefers to be smooth rather than aggressive. Feels really heavy on the track

Associated RC8- Fast aggressive car when it stays on its wheels very hard to drive on rough tracks. Parts wore out and broke fast. Jumped with a very light feeling to it and really well. Setup input always seemed like it needed to be changed.

Losi 3.0- Well built car easy to drive fast and aggressively. Parts are everywhere. Setups are easy to come bye and support is top notch. Yes the car develops slop but it is what makes the car fast when driven aggressively in my opinion. It soaks up minor mistakes.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:45 PM
Tech Champion

That's at least two people making comments about the Losi 3.0 along the lines of "it's boring if you like to wrench.." Bingo!! That sounds like a car for me. I'll do the wrenching that's necessary, but I sure as hell don't want to wrench for wrenching's sake. If that's true, that'll be my next buggy if I ever get one... I saw one at a race last year and really like the looks of it anyway.

I don't like the apparent trend of offering cars with a bazillion tuning options, most of which most people will never need. Give me something solid that I can put a good basic set-up on, and run with it, making minor tire and the usual basic changes as needed.. I don't want to have to make a rocket science of set-up.. Sounds like the older Mugens were what I wanted, but it's also interesting to hear people say that has changed with the MBX7. I also hear that the D812 is a pretty good solid out of the box buggy... Though Ty's sucess I guess has pushed the price up in Europe. I'm not paying €600 for a HB.. Based on what people are saying here I'd go with the Losi 3.0, since I prefer driving to wrenching..
Old 07-24-2014, 12:05 AM
Tech Regular

Hello Guys,

My 2cents for the car i own (owned) or be used by very close friends (Exposure).

Agama - Exposure only - have the opportuny to play with this buggy . good quality and very easy to handle . Some friends are using it and so far never report major issue regarding this buggy.

Associated - Never saw one personally.

Durango - Exposure only and 2 of my good friends owned this buggy for one year (DNX408). Very innovative design but recurent issues with fuel tank and servo (Overheat). Regarding the new one : no idea

Hot Bodies - Exposure only and one of my good friend owned one . quit a good car and no major issues. parts ar'e not easy to find

JQ - No real exposure

Kyosho - owned and the car handling is simply the best IMO , but the price is really too much . Part availibility is very good and well distributed; Need to improve the front arms and plastic flex.

Losi - Exposure only and few friends are using LOSI 2.0 and 3.0 . So far quit a good car no major issue reported.

Mugen -Own it currently (MBX6R) , bought the 7 and sold it after 2 months. The 7 is for skillful racers , too tedious to find the correct setup and to handle. i totally agreed with few comments we need a 6.5 R. Well distributed and price parts is ok. The 7 plastic quality is behind compare to the 6. Same like Kyosho the front arms should be improve.

SWORKz -Owned (EVO BK1) , Unfortunately my worst experience . Not reliable at all (Diff in particular), shocks are terrible. Find a good setup was really tedious compare to the MBX6.

Tekno -Never saw one personally.

XRAY - Exposure only. 2 of my good friends own the XB8 and previously the XB9 and 808; so far the buggy is really good . Reliable, easy to setup and handle . the Cons , the Kit screews are not good and et loose very fast. top notch buggy really. Like Kyosho ,XRAY parts are really too expensive.

Serpent - Exposure only and 2 of my good friends own it . So far the buggy is quit good IMO , same no major issue but some plastic parts wear really too fast. part price is really good.

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Sounds like the older Mugens were what I wanted, but it's also interesting to hear people say that has changed with the MBX7. I also hear that the D812 is a pretty good solid out of the box buggy... Though Ty's sucess I guess has pushed the price up in Europe. I'm not paying €600 for a HB.. Based on what people are saying here I'd go with the Losi 3.0, since I prefer driving to wrenching..
I have both (MBX7 and 6R) Regarding the MBX7 , you will love it or you will hate it . The buggy is very different compare to the MBX6R : More agressive , a lot of steering and tail difficult to handle on sleepery tracks but if you manage to find the correct setup and handle it : this buggy is a blast!

The MBX6R is more quiet and easier to drive , less agressive and can accomodate most of the tracks with a standard setup.

Cheers

Last edited by Desertstorm; 07-24-2014 at 12:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.