Search

The End of Nitro????

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn_S
[I'm not super educated on MX, so anyone please bear with me]

It's going to be the same thing. I've never understood why 4-strokes get a big displacement advantages. If the technology is actually better, than it should be able to compete with the same specs. Not handicap one side, and than give advantages to the other.

These gas motors are gonna have to be larger displacement to make up for the lack of power, and they're gonna need larger tanks. Years down the road whenever this actually gets going, its going to be something .30-.50ci gas motors with 300cc tanks, vs .21ci motors with 125cc tanks.
it's because a 4 stroke only makes it's power every other revolution of the crank. and 2 stroke makes power every revolution.

this new gas engine is still a 2 stroke. it's needs more CC to compete because nitro is a better fuel. there's absolutely no argument.
the only reason to use a gasoline engine over a nitro engine is the cost of fuel. period.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing
it's because a 4 stroke only makes it's power every other revolution of the crank. and 2 stroke makes power every revolution.

this new gas engine is still a 2 stroke. it's needs more CC because nitro is a better fuel. there's absolutely no argument.
Yeah right. Nitro is a stable fuel for hobbyists, not in the same league as A1 Jet fuel, High Octane race gas, diesel in terms of energy capacity. Top fuel dragster guys use nitro cos they cannot pump as much oxygen into the combustion chamber using air, so they got the nitro to carry extra oxygen.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I would bet even if it does happen we will be buying additives and boosters which will probably bring it right back to $25 a gallon. That being said if we can an hour of runtime before refuel it would open up a whole new aspect of racing since allot of people are afraid to come to a track because they don't know anyone and don't have a pitman. That and the ease factor are the 2 biggest reasons electric is a larger class
Old 04-23-2014, 05:27 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
Yeah right. Nitro is a stable fuel for hobbyists, not in the same league as A1 Jet fuel, High Octane race gas, diesel in terms of energy capacity. Top fuel dragster guys use nitro cos they cannot pump as much oxygen into the combustion chamber using air, so they got the nitro to carry extra oxygen.
not exactly, it allows them to pump more nitro into the engine and get more power per power cycle

According to Gene Adams, if you consider high-octane racing gasoline as the baseline fuel, replacing it with methanol-the best alcohol fuel-is worth a 5-to-10-percent power gain. But 80-to-90-percent nitro is worth two to three times the power of the alky.

What's the secret? Nitromethane carries its own oxygen, so it needs much less atmospheric oxygen to burn. The theoretical ideal or stoichiometric air/fuel ratio for gasoline is 14.7:1. That means, 14.7 pounds of air are needed to burn 1 pound of gas. Methanol, which also carries oxygen, has a stoichiometric ratio of 6.45:1. But with 100 percent nitro, the ratio is 1.7:1! Because the displacement of an engine cylinder is fixed, this means-assuming 100 percent volumetric efficiency (VE)-8.7 times more nitromethane than gasoline can be burned during one combustion cycle.
[/url]

without a doubt, nitro can allow the engine to make a lot more power
I posted a link to hotrod magazine that did a article why it's they called the no holds barred greatest power adder ever for the internal combustion engine. btw, the big old thing with the belt on top of a nitro dragster is a blower. it' pumps massive amounts of air in the motor.
here's the link since I forget what post it is in.
http://www.hotrod.com/feature_storie...ethane_anyway/

jet fuel is kerosene. really really clean kerosene.
nothing that amazing about it. everyone hears jet fuel and they get all excited confusing it with rocket fuel.

oh and higher octane in gasoline does not mean it has more energy available. it's all the same. octane ratings are a measurement of the fuels resistance to pre-ignition.

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/page469...ection15613263

Last edited by mtpocketsracing; 04-23-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I would bet even if it does happen we will be buying additives and boosters which will probably bring it right back to $25 a gallon. That being said if we can an hour of runtime before refuel it would open up a whole new aspect of racing since allot of people are afraid to come to a track because they don't know anyone and don't have a pitman. That and the ease factor are the 2 biggest reasons electric is a larger class
It won't, unless we start running 250cc tanks.

I forget who did the math, but with a 125cc tank, we're looking at 15-20 minutes of run time.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

oh and higher octane in gasoline does not mean it has more energy available. it's all the same. octane ratings are a
measurement of the fuels resistance to pre-ignition.
That is why 87 octane, makes more HP than VP110.

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I would bet even if it does happen we will be buying additives and boosters which will probably
bring it right back to $25 a gallon.
The only additive that makes sense is the oxygenator Propylene Oxide, but you could use it right
now in addition to nitro.

Bill M.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

There's already a discussion in the XXL-2 MT thread with people all shocked about how expensive the oil you have to add is going to be... Which is kind of hilarious.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

$17 for the Dynamite branded oil... So at $4/gal of gas, that's $21/gal of mixed gas versus the $24/$25 gal of nitro most Americans pay. Almost no savings.

The gas/oil ratio on the SH/Losi engine is like 14:1, whereas weed whackers are around 40:1. So even if you did the math for generic synthetic 2-stoke oil you find at local hardware store, that'd be like $15/oil + $4/gas = $19/gal...though it's probably not even high enough quality oil. I'm sure RC companies may release their own variants in the future, but I doubt it'll be any cheaper than the bottom-of-the-barrel stuff.

The issue I see with "cost savings" is these are still just the same basic 2-cycle engine designs. No piston rings, so the sleeves will still need resized. Same rods, so the rods will wear out and need changed. Same bearings, so the bearings will need changed. Etc.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rsickles
$17 for the Dynamite branded oil...
Which is a complete rip off for 282cc of oil. You can buy 16oz/474cc Maxima 2 stroke oil for around $8-9

Originally Posted by Rsickles
The gas/oil ratio on the SH/Losi engine is like 14:1,
Holy rich mix!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

14/1 is nuts if that's true. Sounds like these engines are going to mostly run on oil.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Fuel Mixing Precautions and Guidelines for Dynamite® .31 Gasoline Engine

• Only use gasoline mixed with two-cycle engine oil.
• Only use Dynamite Pre-Mix Two-Cycle Engine Oil (DYNE4105). $16.99
Do not use any other kind of oil.

• Always use 92–98 Octane RON (Europe) and 91–93 Octane AKI (US) gasoline.
• Always blend gasoline with two-cycle engine oil at a 14:1 ratio.
• Never use a 40:1, 32:1 or 25:1 gas-oil ratio.
• Never use glow (nitro) fuel.

just for information
Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

lol that additive, Im not worried about these engines until or if nitro is pushed out.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

So is nitro obsolete yet?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

this new gas engine is still a 2 stroke. it's needs more CC to compete because nitro is a better fuel. there's absolutely no argument.
the only reason to use a gasoline engine over a nitro engine is the cost of fuel. period.
My understanding is a 4 stroke makes a compression or power stroke every 4th stroke & a 2 stroke makes a power stroke every 2nd stroke (valve overlap, air/fuel mix, exhaust release, etc). I raced motocross for several years in the 2 stroke days. I am currently 44 yrs old and own a new kxf 450 four stroke & a 2007 yz250 2 stroke. Technology went away in the 2 stroke field 8-10 years ago. I feel this has nothing to do with 2 stroke performance but EPA( Enviromental Protection Agency). I am a 2 stroke fan( much less expensive to rebuild, easier to work on, lighter etc). If power was an issue why not produce a 300cc engine.
I have nothing against electric they have there place. I have been smoked by electric buggies, my neighbors 2 young girls run electric on my back yard track, they are easy to run. Me personall, electric is very boring & if electric was the only option I would sell it all. As far as a gas 1/8 2 stroke engine. If it produces the same power, handling, better fuel mileage and cost less to operate I am all for it.

Last edited by tristyn; 04-24-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I am a nitro fan.. but I don't get the argument that people use "I love the sound and smell of nitro". For me, I could care less about that. What do I like about nitro?

In a nitro car I have:

1: Power plant
2: Fuel System
3: Braking system
4: Clutch System
5: Exhaust system
6: Air intake system

All of which is tunable. as a gear head that likes to tinker with stuff that is what interests me. I know a lot of this stuff can be programed with ESC's etc. but its not the same to me.. I like to get my wrenches out and physically adjust things..maybe I am just an "old soul"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.