Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The End of Nitro????

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Anyone with real electric racing experience knows it's far from "plug and play" or "set it and forget". I find it funny the guys that hate on the either side are the ones that never venture outside of their preferred class/power source or put any real effort into understanding how "the other side" works to its full potential. Nitro guys hating on E-buggy because the powerband is different and Electric guys hating on Nitro because their engine won't hold a tune with crap. It's a 2-way street, guys!

Also, you can't deny that there will always be non-mechanically inclined people in our hobby. No matter how many times you try to show them something, regardless if its nitro or electric it will never fully "click" in their brain. Would I consider them "lazy"? no, not all. However from a intro racer or basher point of view electric maybe a better open because they can get away will a less than optimal set up.

Last edited by nv529; 04-22-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

To be honest, I dunno what type of future we are even looking at here regardless of what powers your car. Most driver stands are full of middle age men. Where's the younger generation ?
Most of these kids would rather race on Xbox so they don't get hot nor cold. A generation of comfort with a non-work-ethic. It seems this country and everything involved is taking on a new approach that no one seems to like.
Example: Hobby shop sales have fell drastic in my area. I don't mean by a little. We are a coal thriving state. You cut that and it's a trickle down economy. Take Obamacare. If people could afford insurance they would have already had it, so with it forced upon people, the extra money isn't there.

To me, we have many improvements to go through before finding an engine that anyone can run that's gonna cost an arm and leg. From my experience, people will struggle with tuning gas as well. Simply no common sense knowledge anymore and I don't look for it to get any better.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Nic, Monday I had a fella come in the store with 2-redcat nitro buggies. Yeah. yeah, Redcat makes nothing I would own but regardless he said I got these online....(Yes, buy it online but come to the store for help) and they wont start. Think I'm gonna send them back. LOL
I pick one up, turn on the electrics, prime the carb and go get my glow stick. I install the glow stick and 3-pulls she was running. He said what's that ? I said what. He said that thing you put on top the engine. I said a glow stick. Well what does it do.....????? The point is, he got into something that he didn't research at all and we all know he didn't read the directions either. He spent Easter Sunday applying blisters to his hands by trying to start 2- cars without adding fire ?
Another example. Guy buys a charger. Don't even know the brand. He brings it back, said he plugged it in and it blew up which it pretty much did. It was a DC Charger. He cut the leads off, installed AC plug and plugged it in the wall.

I have so many stories, you would either get angry or cry, it's that simple.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xxxntwv

and hobby shop employees need to quit pushing electric onto people saying its much easier and cheaper which isn't really the case if your going to race.
Electric is a ton easier. I have yet to have to retune my electric motors because it was hotter/colder/drier/humid. At the Icebreaker a few weeks back here in TX all 3 days were very different with over 40 degrees of temperature change.

When I race or practice, that's what I want to do. Not chase a tune. When I get done racing/practicing I want to focus on maintenance, not is my glow plug on its way out, or clutch shoes, or one way bearings. Plus after a big electric race I don't feel like crap for 4 days after from sucking down all the nitro fumes.

Electric is easier by a long shot.

That said, I do like nitro and think it's cool to experience the sight and sound of nitro events, just doesn't have the same long term appeal. Gas might change that for me though.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by xxxntwv
from what I've seen with electric vs nitro it has nothing to do with cost but more towards pure laziness.people don't want the extra work involved nor do they want to learn to tune an engine which just about any 10 year old kid could do.today's society is plug and play if it don't work right out of the box to hell with it and buy something else.I've seen lots of people that can't even run electric because they have no common sense.buy hobbyking ESC and the cheapest motor available and time it till it smokes then.stand there scratching there heads trying to figure out what's wrong with it.back.on topic I wouldnt mind seeing a engine that didn't have to be tuned or at least make it to where the needles only move so far so that its almost impossible to get it too far out of sack for the new people,and hobby shop employees need to quit pushing electric onto people saying its much easier and cheaper which isn't really the case if your going to race.

Love the bashing of electric guys going electric because there lazy please .
Old 04-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Greg B
To be honest, I dunno what type of future we are even looking at here regardless of what powers your car. Most driver stands are full of middle age men. Where's the younger generation ?
Most of these kids would rather race on Xbox so they don't get hot nor cold. A generation of comfort with a non-work-ethic. It seems this country and everything involved is taking on a new approach that no one seems to like.
Example: Hobby shop sales have fell drastic in my area. I don't mean by a little. We are a coal thriving state. You cut that and it's a trickle down economy. Take Obamacare. If people could afford insurance they would have already had it, so with it forced upon people, the extra money isn't there.

To me, we have many improvements to go through before finding an engine that anyone can run that's gonna cost an arm and leg. From my experience, people will struggle with tuning gas as well. Simply no common sense knowledge anymore and I don't look for it to get any better.

Mostly has to do with the lack of jobs for teenagers that's why you don't see many of them on the stands .
Old 04-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
this topic is about gas engines, not a "electric vs nitro" thread so please consider people who are reading and keep talking about the subject, thanks
I recently got a Losi DBXL, gas is great. Of course it would be awesome to run a gas car in the smaller scales. Whats the question again ?
Oh, of course it won't be the end of nitro, lots of people love it and I say good on ya for that but.... I can't run nitro or even be around it at races. When the nitros run I have to retreat to the farthest away spot I can find. I don't hate nitros, I do hate the reaction I have to the fumes. Simple as that.
I would love to have a gas option in the smaller scales for the same reasons you like nitro.
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
The sound is integral to the experience..
Oh brotherman. With a 10th scale electric you can hear the diffs working and the tires too, the tire squeal is sweet.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Tech Champion

They make no meaningful noise. I had to marshal an electric heat or two at a race last year, and my jaw nearly dropped at how incredibly lame it was. I mean, like almost fascinating how stupid it was. With nitro I'm all worked up, having to focus and concentrate so much more.. I even think marshalling nitro is fun. Got to be all alert and focussed on what is going on - your ears especially.. With the electrics... snore... It was like watching grass grow. RC cars without internal combustion engines are about as cool as a Dungeons & Dragons convention. Total dorkfest..
Old 04-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Mostly has to do with the lack of jobs for teenagers that's why you don't see many of them on the stands .
No jobs ? They carry around more electronic devices and drive better cars than I do. May be a small bit of an issue but it's a very small percentage.

Lazy ? Yes, I would have to say that a large portion is. No, it's not 100% the case but it is an issue.
Don't research anything.......lazy
Call the store with no part numbers......lazy They have the manual but it's in the other room.
Not willing to learn......lazy
Would rather start a new racing class rather than race what's previously being raced......lazy
Ever see an electric guy turn-marshal a nitro car..........lazy and frightened all at the same time.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I like driving my e buggy it teaches me throttle control. I prefer to run a long nitro main and there's nothing like the sound and excitement of screaming nicely tuned nitro engine but the e buggy can teach me valuable lessons. Watching e buggy can be a little on the numb side I agree.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Tech Prophet

No jobs ? They carry around more electronic devices and drive better cars than I do. May be a small bit of an issue but it's a very small percentage.

Lazy ? Yes, I would have to say that a large portion is. No, it's not 100% the case but it is an issue.
Don't research anything.......lazy
Call the store with no part numbers......lazy They have the manual but it's in the other room.
Not willing to learn......lazy
Would rather start a new racing class rather than race what's previously being raced......lazy
Ever see an electric guy turn-marshal a nitro car..........lazy and frightened all at the same time.

Ok yea . I'm willing to bet though the same thing was said back when I was a teen in the 2000s lol .

an I used to race Nitro been running electric for a while never been afraid of turn marshaling them .
Old 04-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Tech Champion

Nic, Monday I had a fella come in the store with 2-redcat nitro buggies. Yeah. yeah, Redcat makes nothing I would own but regardless he said I got these online....(Yes, buy it online but come to the store for help) and they wont start. Think I'm gonna send them back. LOL
I pick one up, turn on the electrics, prime the carb and go get my glow stick. I install the glow stick and 3-pulls she was running. He said what's that ? I said what. He said that thing you put on top the engine. I said a glow stick. Well what does it do.....????? The point is, he got into something that he didn't research at all and we all know he didn't read the directions either. He spent Easter Sunday applying blisters to his hands by trying to start 2- cars without adding fire ?
Another example. Guy buys a charger. Don't even know the brand. He brings it back, said he plugged it in and it blew up which it pretty much did. It was a DC Charger. He cut the leads off, installed AC plug and plugged it in the wall.

I have so many stories, you would either get angry or cry, it's that simple.

God, that is shocking.. I knew the rise of electric was bringing with it an awful lot of dumb.., but that's even worse than I thought..
Old 04-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

there's nothing wrong with racing electric but in reality that kinda takes the realness out and puts the toy factor in.I recently went to an all electric race and can honestly say that most are lazy,had to wait on someone every heat because they didn't have there car ready.there was 3 hours in between heats so time was not an issue.while electric is just as fast or faster without the possibility of mechanical (engine)issues and hour long mains where's the fun and excitement.where I come from you work for what you got,not hold your hand out and expect something to fall in it.race whatever you like but when nitro racing dies I believe that all rc racing will suffer.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
They make no meaningful noise. I had to marshal an electric heat or two at a race last year, and my jaw nearly dropped at how incredibly lame it was. I mean, like almost fascinating how stupid it was. With nitro I'm all worked up, having to focus and concentrate so much more.. I even think marshalling nitro is fun. Got to be all alert and focussed on what is going on - your ears especially.. With the electrics... snore... It was like watching grass grow. RC cars without internal combustion engines are about as cool as a Dungeons & Dragons convention. Total dorkfest..
Im betting that was the last time you raced, am i right? Come to Texas and marshal the 45 min truggy mains for me. Don't forget a hat and sunscreen though, unless you like looking like a cooked lobsted. You seriously get worked up over some sounds and smells of a nitro motor? I'm trying to understand what the major element that appeals to you, the racing itself or the nitro motor itself? If only you had a nitro powered servo, right? If I couldn't race rc cars I would find something els to race, I just love racing... nitro, gas, electric, whatever, we can have a foot race, I love competition and racing. It's that simple. The fortunate part of rc racing to me is that I don't have to risk my life. Are you also opposed to full scale cars with electric motors? The new Porches 918 Spyder is amazing.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

I love standing at the counter when people ask, hey, what's the difference between 7.4 volt and 11.1 volt battery. I just tell them 3.7 volts.....LOL

Dat gone it honey, betcha my rustler will hit 120mph on the ol gravel road wiff 11.1 volts in her.

Well, anyway the thread is about gas engines replacing nitro. Yes it could happen. 4-stroke bikes caught 2-stroke bikes. Depends where the technology is placed. If they want it to happen, it can. Will it help ? I dunno for sure. I for one may go that route but I don't know how it would help me? For those that can't tune anything, it's not helping at all. Just another paper weight. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE WILLING TO LEARN AND GO AFTER IT. Satisfaction and rewards aren't free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.