Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Mugen MBX7

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob
Just though ill share my findings after i thought ill go on a mission to free up my x7's drivetrain as much as possible lol. Sorry for the long winded post.

Well the difference is huge..even on the bench. I did some research in the onroad forums on how those guys mod their cars to free them up even more. So here is what i did and why.
1: even if you dont want to do the rest, just plain remove the rubber cvd boots from the centre shaft. They put so much tension on the centre shafts..youll get your drivetrain almost twice as free by just removing them. The problem is easy to spot. When you car is apart and the boot on the shaft, the shaft naturally wants to stay straight. Because they are at an angke when fixed to the chassis, they push into the sides of the centre cups and produce friction. Easy fix..throw them away!

2: this is one i found alot of onroad guys experiment with and makes alot of sense. Take your inner wheel bearing and press it between your two fingers. Look at how much it deforms/deflects. So...if you've driven a JQ you'll know exacly about the next issue.
When the plastics are moulded and cooled, it shrinks a minute amount. On the jq you had to ream the arms and stuff forever since they will just bind up. Anyway, that "snap" you feel when you force a bearing into a wheelhub can sometime press down/crush a bearing just enough to cause some drag. So what some of these guys do is, sand or dremmel the seating area of the hub where the bearings go just a hair at the time untill the bearing goes in VERY smoothly, but the hub stil holds on to the outer ring of the bearing. It should just barely hang on in there under its own weight when you turn it upside down. This wont be an issue if you run AL hubs since the tolerances will be way tighter on cnc parts. DONT OVER DO IT, if you do your bearing will spin in the plastic of the hub. They should still go in snug, just not tight or snap in. I did this on all 4 hubs, inside and outside, as well as to a lesser extent, the cenre pinion areas.

3: take your bearings, clean them of all grease, blow them out. Get them super clean and spinning like skateboard wheels lol. All that grease in there just slows them up. Now, once they are super clean, lube them all in some full sunthetic, mobil 1 or similar 5W40 or thinner oil and let the excess drain on some toilet paper. You will feel how much more free they are already.

4: now start reassembling your car. Install ONLY the outer bearing seal on every single bearing..the one that is exposed to dirt so to speak. Smaller ones usually dont have a preference, but i put the seal in and feel which side lets the bearing work more freely. On the large inner hub bearings it is easier, install the seal on the side with the metal part behind the balls..youll see it.

This all made my car so free it is silly compared to stock. Worth a try if you are interested in freeing up your drivetrain. Im sure if one spends some money on lighter drivetrain parts in conjunction with this, it would be insane lol. A free drivetrain means more consistent handeling, better runtime, cooler engines etc.
anyway, thought ill put it out there for the modders out there lol
i think that to remove the covers off the bearing is not good for the rest is ok
Old 07-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I took the boot covers off the shafts and they do help free it up very much. I would not remove the bearing covers, even if inside. I know bearings are cheap these days, but I wouldn't want to DNF because of a $1 bearing. These engines are powerful enough that will will probably not see much of a difference in speed and runtime.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrokiller123
I took the boot covers off the shafts and they do help free it up very much. I would not remove the bearing covers, even if inside. I know bearings are cheap these days, but I wouldn't want to DNF because of a $1 bearing. These engines are powerful enough that will will probably not see much of a difference in speed and runtime.
In the last 2 years, I never put 2 shields on the drivetrain brearing. Except for the ones on the diffs.

My mbx7 is now as free as my mates TKI3.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

if you use teflon oil the bearing is very fast
Old 07-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When I receive a new shipment of bearings, I methodically clean out the grease and place a few drops of CRC bearing oil in each bearing. Removing the grease and the shaft boots alone makes a huge difference. I think a car with grease-packed bearings feels noticeably sluggish. Everything Sideshow Bob said is coherent with my experience.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Freeing up the drivetrain is entirely dependant on how much wrenching time you want to spend and what kind of track you run. It's just that simple.

Boots were placed on the center shafts to keep grease in and dirt out to prolong CV life due to their odd angle. If you remove the boots you'll have to clean and replace CV's faster. If you remove grease from the bearings you'll have to re-oil bearings more often since oil is a thinner lubricant that displaces quicker. Etc.

If you remove the inside wheel bearing shields on the axles you could actually use the oiling holes on the carriers....though I've seen the outer wheel bearings completely lockup once they get dirt in them because the balls are so small, so I'd be hesitant to remove any shield.

Most of my racing is also on outdoor tracks that get super dusty and cars get gummed up with loamy clay... though someone who runs a damp clay indoor with no dust may have a completely different take.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

I literally left the centre diff's bearings shielded, the rest all one shield. Imo if you are getting dirt inside the bulkheads or hubs you have other problems. I have noticed with a "stock" bearing..still greased, that the large wheel bearing will lock up in anycase. The grease just attracts and holds on to that dirt untill you sit with some nice oily clay in your bearing. Conversely, ive found that when im lazy and not servicing bearings..to a point where they are basically dry...the run better than when they were greased..although they might be slightly gritty. I rarely replace diff bearings...they keep on going forever, proof that they aren't really that prone to get serious dirt in them.

Also, on the topic of cvd wear. The ones in the wheels are basically exposed and take alot more dirt than the centre ones, and they keep up fine. I forgot to mention. If you are adamant to have a bit of protection on the centre cvd but without the drag, just cut the front of the boot off so that all that is left is the back part and a lip over the efde of the cvd. That way you have the pin covered at least...like in the wheels.
I also think the oiling holes where placed in the hubs for that exact reason. Anyway, my car is stupid free and i race on some dirty tracks. Ill report back no matter what the outcome.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I literally left the centre diff's bearings shielded, the rest all one shield. Imo if you are getting dirt inside the bulkheads or hubs you have other problems. I have noticed with a "stock" bearing..still greased, that the large wheel bearing will lock up in anycase. The grease just attracts and holds on to that dirt untill you sit with some nice oily clay in your bearing. Conversely, ive found that when im lazy and not servicing bearings..to a point where they are basically dry...the run better than when they were greased..although they might be slightly gritty. I rarely replace diff bearings...they keep on going forever, proof that they aren't really that prone to get serious dirt in them.

Also, on the topic of cvd wear. The ones in the wheels are basically exposed and take alot more dirt than the centre ones, and they keep up fine. I forgot to mention. If you are adamant to have a bit of protection on the centre cvd but without the drag, just cut the front of the boot off so that all that is left is the back part and a lip over the efde of the cvd. That way you have the pin covered at least...like in the wheels.
I also think the oiling holes where placed in the hubs for that exact reason. Anyway, my car is stupid free and i race on some dirty tracks. Ill report back no matter what the outcome.
I have used this method several times except I leave all the seals on. I install the the bearing with all the grease and shields then go run it for 1/2 gallon or so. The grease will help seat the seal to the inner race and also helps the balls seat to the inner and outer races. Sort of a break-in. Then flush bearing and add some tri-flow lube. This is the best method I've found. Your outcome will also depend on the quality of bearings used. The stock mugen bearings are awesome and last very long time.

Last edited by PERROTTO; 07-14-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Now that falls under the why didn't I think of that category I just cut the front nipple off the front of the boot. Leaving most of the folded part of the cover intact, but it is clear of the bone. If the car is assembled just remove the fuel tank to get to the front boot.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:28 AM
Tech Master

I have mine like this but you could leave som more on there if you wanted to.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I got hit hard enough to knock my battery out yesterday, broke zip ties and electrical tape. It ended up laying in the dust guard til I finished.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Take note take CVD is stressed twice as much as 1 axle to the wheels ;-) The difference in wear is big!
I run my CVD without boots and the front one wears out pretty quick. I'd say you'll have to replace them after 20ltrs because all the parts wear out and it gets sloppy. The rear one stays fine for a longer time because the angle isn't so steep.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by toycardriver
I got hit hard enough to knock my battery out yesterday, broke zip ties and electrical tape. It ended up laying in the dust guard til I finished.
M2c holder will eliminate that problem.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ecko'
Hey how r u guys modifying the 6 rear plastic hubs?
I pulled all the parts that wont work with the x7, to sell with my 6r.
And seeing that I have a bunch of the 6r rear hubs figured I might try modifying a pair to use on the x7.
Thanks in advance.
Albert
Anybody no which hole has to b enlarged on the 6 rear hubs?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Tech Initiate

how many degrees of front camber do everybody run?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.