Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drag Racing Truggies

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by low_dakota94
We actually run a "monster truck" class but it's dominated by truggys. There is one really fast twin engine savage and a few fast revos that run too. But after we run classes we do some open class grudge match racing. And it's funny watching some of those guys faces when you jump out on a jato with a 10 pound truck lol. And yeah theyre are tons of good chassis out there now I've just been running the mayhem so long and it's hard to beat once you've done your R&D and have it dialed. Also the older radical 628t with some slight modding was one of the fastest motors I've ever run.
What is a 628t and what gear ratio did you run on the Truggy and I applaud you for not just running with the Jato's but for also beating the Jato's with a Truggy. I'm sure that was not an easy task. If I had accomplished what you have accomplished I would have stop drag racing Truggies too. But for now I'm just trying to get in the ball park where you are. So what kind of tires did you run and what gear ratio. Also did you run on a treated surface?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well for gear ratios it kinda depends on the surface you run on and the rpm's your motor makes and your tire size. I had best results with MT GRP parks but they are discontinued now. I prefer the original 3.8" mt size tires but we have guys running lpr bow ties with descent success as well as 40 series. The 628T is a .28 motor by ops (radical), I hear the new ones aren't very good. As far as clutches go I've always just run ofna aluminum shoes on a lightweight flywheel and usually a pretty heavy spring to give me some stall. And believe me there are plenty of jatos that can beat my truck, but when they start making the kind of power needed they have traction and control issues like crazy. My best advise woul be find a chassis you like and get out there and start trying different things until you find what works. For sure your going to want a modded motor and a good pipe and work from there.

Last edited by low_dakota94; 08-12-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Well for gear ratios it kinda depends on the surface you run on and the rpm's your motor makes and your tire size. I had best results with MT GRP parks but they are discontinued now. I prefer the original 3.8" mt size tires but we have guys running lpr bow ties with descent success as well as 40 series. The 628T is a .28 motor by ops (radical), I hear the new ones aren't very good. As far as clutches go I've always just run ofna aluminum shoes on a lightweight flywheel and usually a pretty heavy spring to give me some stall. And believe me there are plenty of jatos that can beat my truck, but when they start making the kind of power needed they have traction and control issues like crazy. My best advise woul be find a chassis you like and get out there and start trying different things until you find what works. For sure your going to want a modded motor and a good pipe and work from there.
I'm still impressed to hear a Truggy running those good numbers like that thanks for all of the helpful information. I have used Ofna springs in the past and they have been really good to me. So I wouldn't mind using them again. How often do you race or when is the last time you have raced?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Last edited by low_dakota94; 08-16-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok that sound good with the electric but I'm not an electric fan at all. But I know those Jatos hate to see that Slash at the track running those kind of numbers!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah nitro guys typically don't like running the electrics lol. I just got so fed up trying to get my revo to run good numbers that I decided to give electric a shot.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok

Last edited by LOCK_DOWN; 08-13-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: I sent the same message twice
Old 08-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

Well if you decide on a chassis you like and have any questions yu can shoot me a pm and I'd be glad to offer up as much assistance as possible.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm going with a Losi do to parts availability abs the reliability and support I get from my lhs!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:47 AM
Tech Regular

Any ideas on a motor/pipe combo you want to run?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm gonna go with the LRP 28 like you said you had. One of my buddies has an Jato and he runs in the 2.6s and he said I would never get that truck in the 2.4s. So I'm following your lead on this one.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Sounds like a start. Don't get discouraged if your not instantly at the times you want. It took me 3 years to get the setup right on mine. If you go with the lrp .28 get the bump start model and have someone drag mod it. That motor makes awesome bottom so you'll need a a pipe that makes good top end like a 086. I would probably start with a 18t clutch bell. And maybe check out the buku clutch, I hear really good things. Also the lighter you can make your truck the better. Every ounce counts.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Just noticed they discontinued the lrp bump start .28, well that sucks lol. But you may also consider the novarossi plus 28-7t. It's a beast when modded.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

that guy knows what he's talking about.. ^^^
Old 08-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Internet Lies

I run my 2wd slash every weekend. My slash is in the 2.2-2.3 range on 2s lipos so im gonna try to get it in the 2.0's on 3s if i can control it and keep traction. So far I'm really liking the electics for the simplicity. The truggies still make an occasional appearance. I ususally bring the fast one with me in case a fast truck shows up or someone is talking smack lol. I actually just made a few changes and lightened the truck a little more so I'll be testing it this weekend if the weather holds out.
For starters you dont have anything in your stable that will run 2.2-2.3 including those old ass drag cars you have. Also you have never ran a 2.4 consistently with your buggy and i know that for a fact. When you were out there trying to run and I do mean trying - there wasnt a timing system only a homemade light system that simply went from red to green. Stop with the internet lies. You are gonna steer someone one down the wrong path of spending useless money thinking they can out run a jato in 132ft here in New Orleans. The truth is you have never entered into a tourney behind Lowes (where we race) bc you know those jatos we got are on a whole nother level. We have the same power that you would put in a truggy but we have for a way to land it. Behind Lowes it "run what ya brung" so us being scared of running electric cars is a flat out lie. Infact we want to ran anything that electric has to offer. I see your going electric now - what a cop out. Im nitro for life.

To the guy who started this thread, keep pushing on with your idea. As a drag racer in this sport we always think outside of the box. I have seen one of the guys with a truggy run a consistent low 2.5 with low mph (50). Early on he would make it to the finals and sometimes win but in the last two years jatos and electric trucks has surpassed him. He tried to add a two-speed and run 2wd but with no success. he couldnt get the 60+ mph and low ET the jatos get. As for you Nutty, You know where we are located every Saturday. As my boy Black would say. "If you stay ready - You won't have to get ready" Holla!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.