Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro or Electric 1/8 buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by merdith6
Nitro all the way, electric is gay.
Nitro pros: smell the fuel,hear the engine roar, make it a more scale racing feel (pitstops, more Maintence). Doesn't seem like a little toy

Nitro cons: messier, can annoy neighbors, a little harder to drive, more maintenance, more care for engine, fuel and glow plugs

Electric pros: easier to maintain, not as messy, in long run if you get right motor, battery, ESC, charger it's cheaper

Electric cons: whimpy seems, more like a toy, li-po battery (voltage,discharging,obercharging) not as real as a race car makes a race seem boring with that little eeeeeeeee noise too boring
Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Well I debated this question for a long time. I had both. But Nitro won because you can clean it up easier don't have to worry about electronics getting wet when you clean it. I have waterproof servos.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 AM
Tech Initiate

You can always waterproof the motor and ESC but I never feel too safe with a sensored motor around water.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Both are equally as fun!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

I hate to say it, but EP is gaining LOTS of ground on nitro...
Old 05-29-2013, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kevinpratt823
When you talk about a point of view from the "real world"(for most of us, unless this pays your bills), they are ALL just "fast toys", it's just that electric is a slighly faster toy. People can talk as hardcore as they want, but we are still grown-ups (and kids) who play with toy cars, wether it's electric OR nitro.
(but at least we're not flying helicopters and planes and stuff, now those guys are just lame!)

P.S.-That is a joke, flying toys are cool too, IMO.
You really can't say it's a toy, it's a toy when you are a basher playing on an empty lot or in the street. When you race it it's a competative sport like golf, tennis......... It requires skill and lots of money.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by arm2storm
You really can't say it's a toy, it's a toy when you are a basher playing on an empty lot or in the street. When you race it it's a competative sport like golf, tennis......... It requires skill and lots of money.
Spending more money and having more skill don't make them any less toys than other RCs. It just wraps everything in a another framework for those rich and able and serious enough to play at that level. They're just more expensive toys. Played with by more skilled people in some cases. Wanting real competition.

Some might tell themselves something else though to justify their spendings perhaps...

Edit: There are however different grades of vehicles, of course. But they're all toys or at the VERY least have their heritage and roots in it, albeit more competitive and exclusive ones.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by one8updragracer
Love me some nitro...but hate trying to find a competent and willing pit guy. Was the reason I took last summer off. Now i've begun to regroup and getting a Tekno buggy soon. Just gonna get a powerful charger and a few decent batteries so I can charge fast and have a few backup batteries.
Gonna miss the sound and smell.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Tech Initiate

I felt like writing more on this subject as my mind is trying to figure out where to focus money on next... My electric or nitro projects... or perhaps even jump ship to gas.

I'm rather firmly decided into going full on nitro and maybe head into racing, albeit on an amateur and casual level but doing it "properly". But I have to admit the thought strikes me continuously... whee oh whee nitro is a LOT more hobby to handle than electric Feeling a bit pressured to get the competition heat engine preheater for $106 in addition to the ofna starter box $80ish, batteries for the starter box and so on. A lot more involving than having a set of 4s batteries, charge and GO.

Subjective pros for electric...
No breakin and heat cycles for new engines and rebuilt ones, no preheat of engine > equipment to preheat engine, no starter box > no batteries for starter box, no glow igniters > no glow plugs. A temp device is still nice to have, and careful pinion/spur load adjustment (TUNING) to not overheat, similar to LSN/HSN needle tuning to keep temp optimal just a tiny bit easier to learn how to do.

They share similarities, but nitro is clearly for the more engine/mechanical/motorsport minded individuals. People who just wanna drive and want it easy, easily get frustrated by it and perhaps even gives it a bad rep. I've seen impressive speeds from ported nitro engines, that no first-buyer will ever reach with amateurish tuning abilities or an RTR engine. But they think wrong in that nitro has less potential, very wrong. I think this is the place where toys becomes something more... It becomes toys with a fun motorsport aspect attached to it.

I like to tinker and IC power, so therefore I like nitro. But I also like volt/amp/watt configurations and setting up electronics. When it's all done though, it's not much left to do... but just drive. I think this is where the main difference is - work continues always with nitro, and that's rewarding if you're in this hobby to always try to make something a little bit better and like to maintain stuff. Either nitro or go loose on an Axial SCX10 project which never ends

I like the idea of both worlds and happy they are available...I love all concepts around electromagnetic energy and have studied the physics sometimes for days. But I also like the brute power and explosive experience of internal combustion systems and have studied them just as much and think they will always have a future, just with different more environmental friendly fuels (thinkin mainly 1:1 here of some reason). I like being able to wrench and tune a proper nitro setup. But sometimes I just wanna drive something with little effort before I do it and not having to worry about the weather and air conditions, electric is perfect for that. But there's so much fun if your friends also like and understand what it takes to play around with nitro and not just yank and curse aimlessly at your car and nearly stab yourself with the screwdriver instead of tuning anymore because you just want the bugger to RUN. Then electric is clearly the choice.

Alright... enough blabbering from me.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alexnailey692
Nitro pros: smell the fuel,hear the engine roar, make it a more scale racing feel (pitstops, more Maintence). Doesn't seem like a little toy

Nitro cons: messier, can annoy neighbors, a little harder to drive, more maintenance, more care for engine, fuel and glow plugs

Electric pros: easier to maintain, not as messy, in long run if you get right motor, battery, ESC, charger it's cheaper

Electric cons: whimpy seems, more like a toy, li-po battery (voltage,discharging,obercharging) not as real as a race car makes a race seem boring with that little eeeeeeeee noise too boring
Apparently he turned gay by way of e truggy. lol.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:53 AM
Tech Champion

There are plenty of nitro vs electric threads but to me it's like comparing apples and bananas

It's a hobby so I'd just take what I find the most attractive. You should know it directly, it's like comparing two girls. You never say "hummm.. to me they're equally attractive", there is always one you'll like more. Even twins.. One day I...ok whatever
Old 05-30-2013, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pulse_
There are plenty of nitro vs electric threads but to me it's like comparing apples and bananas

It's a hobby so I'd just take what I find the most attractive. You should know it directly, it's like comparing two girls. You never say "hummm.. to me they're equally attractive", there is always one you'll like more. Even twins.. One day I...ok whatever
I dont do girls (to old), but Women - you will never find two equals, one will ALWAYS win and the other will turn in to a back stabbing ______...
Old 05-30-2013, 07:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Now that it's summer time and outdoor racing is in full swing, I'm in the same boat. I really like nitro but I HATE asking someone I really don't know to pit for me. It's not fun getting that "look" when you do ask. You know what they're thinking, "dude I hate nitro, go away!".

I have both and for all the good reasons already mentioned, I like both. So if you can swing it, gt a rc for both classes and then at least you'll be able to race. I do know that the tracks that are more nitro friendly will be getting more of my $ this summer.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by token
I hate to say it, but EP is gaining LOTS of ground on nitro...
Yeah. The nitros stay on the shelf until a Trophy race. There's no point in club racing, with lame 15 min mains with a nitro. It's easier for me to just enter Ebuggy with it's 10 in main.

Ebuggy is easier, but not more rewarding. Much like anything easy.

When I have 20min+ mains and plenty of experience racers to pit for me, like at a large event/trophy race, then I pack my nitro. But I won't club race my best car.

What's killing all of RC is that people want to run and race, but noone really cares about marshaling or pitting. Those guys are Pathetic. Pitting is just another fun form of racing. Being the fastest pit guy rules. Helping your driver get in and out clean, and starting clean is key.

I love it when I can pit for someone and move them up a spot or two vs. the other Momo pit guys.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Maxxingout
Now that it's summer time and outdoor racing is in full swing, I'm in the same boat. I really like nitro but I HATE asking someone I really don't know to pit for me. It's not fun getting that "look" when you do ask. You know what they're thinking, "dude I hate nitro, go away!".

I have both and for all the good reasons already mentioned, I like both. So if you can swing it, gt a rc for both classes and then at least you'll be able to race. I do know that the tracks that are more nitro friendly will be getting more of my $ this summer.
I never travel to a race alone. Allways making sure I have a racer with me. It stinks if we end up in the same main, then I have to find someone, and that really sucks.

In my opinion: Any track that has people deperately looking for a pit guy should be ashamed of themselfs. That is no way to keep racers coming back. Someone needs to man up and help out whether the like nitro or not. The RD and race operator should recognize this and try to inflence thier regulars to help out when possible.

Another point that needs made for the survival of nitro:
If the RD docks my pitguy for not marshalling, or pressures him away from pit lane. I FREAK THE F OUT! Like straight jacket, DQ me, kick me out kind of freaking out. RD's need to get there head out of thier behinds. It's easier for a RD to find a volunteer marshal than it is for a racer to find a quality pit guy.

Breaking up a team for a minor formality is inexcuseable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.