Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Pros/Cons on running an ON/OFF switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

switches fail eventually, almost always usually in a main. buggy and starter box both. its easy to flip a switch off, its also easy to bump a switch on. you have to unplug the battery anyways at the end of the day so why not. i've had 4 switches fail me in 3 years of racing and haven't ran a switch in the last 2 years. i've had 1 connection come "undone" in a race just cause i had a substitute pit guy and he didn't plug it in all the way. theres already a long list of things that can fail during racing, no switch eliminates a major one.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I never had problems with switches until I started running unregulated lipo on them. Now I switch them out often (like before the big trophy) because they do go bad and I don't like DNF's due to that. They actually caused both of my only 2 dnf's last year.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris-s
Never had much luck with switches, always failing on me. And then there is the nuisance of all the extra wires to fit in the radio box.
I now use mini deans connectors, then use glue lined heatshrink to support the wires.
I use this approach as well. Just be sure to get the polarized deans (neutral male on the battery side). I ran non-polarized at first and managed to burn out two servos and an LiFe battery by plugging it in backwards!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Lord

There are electronic switches with a simple push button for on/of, I believe KO has one.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
There are electronic switches with a simple push button for on/of, I believe KO has one.
Yeah those KO switches were awesome!But i can't find it anymore !I heard they discontinued...If someone knows where can i find one let me know!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

I always run a on off switch......ALWAYS. I keep an extra in my box justin case
Old 01-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

i cant believe im reading a thread where everyone is agreeing that they dont run on/off switches.

Is it Wacky Wednesday?
Old 01-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by token
I always run a on off switch......ALWAYS. I keep an extra in my box justin case
yeah me too...but this thread does have me spooked a lil....
Old 01-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by deadmancourt
yeah me too...but this thread does have me spooked a lil....
Not me bro. I have never had a problem with a regular off/on switch. I have only had a problem with the switch on the lipo reg. I dont know to many people that dont use one.........
Old 01-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gabor szilagyi
Yeah those KO switches were awesome!But i can't find it anymore !I heard they discontinued...If someone knows where can i find one let me know!

If you are into electronics you can find lots of diagrams of a one button on/off switch.

In the past we have used these switches without any problems:

Finally just plugging 2 connectors on each other is simple and safe.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

The only failures I've had with switches are due to contamination by water,dirt or both. Typically this is a result of the silicon boot that came with the kit being torn or ineffectual.

This may sound funny (or like I'm joking), but I'm completely serious. To keep your power switch clean, cut 2" to tip off a profolactic (if you need to ask what this is, just use a balloon or two). Preferredly unused. Put the switch inside, switch first, then wrap the lower part, using a zip tie to seal it. Make sure it fits loosely over the upper parts of the switch, so that there is free movement for the switch to move back n forth (shut up!).

Soldiers used to do something similar with their M-16 barrels in Vietnam, in order to keep their weapons from misfiring.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

im down with switches...power wires are meant to have switches.. plugging in and unplugging connecters can become worn way faster than a switch.. plus the arc from the power can cause corrosion inside the female connector and lose contact
Old 01-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by juggaloracer198
im down with switches...power wires are meant to have switches.. plugging in and unplugging connecters can become worn way faster than a switch.. plus the arc from the power can cause corrosion inside the female connector and lose contact
wow thats the most intelligent thing ive ever heard you say way to go clint....yeah...im down with the switches too...
Old 01-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

I have had multiple races where I nose into the face of a jump and the on off switch gets turned off.

I hate using hobbywing because they program through the same switch.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ruune
The only failures I've had with switches are due to contamination by water,dirt or both. Typically this is a result of the silicon boot that came with the kit being torn or ineffectual.

This may sound funny (or like I'm joking), but I'm completely serious. To keep your power switch clean, cut 2" to tip off a profolactic (if you need to ask what this is, just use a balloon or two). Preferredly unused. Put the switch inside, switch first, then wrap the lower part, using a zip tie to seal it. Make sure it fits loosely over the upper parts of the switch, so that there is free movement for the switch to move back n forth (shut up!).

Soldiers used to do something similar with their M-16 barrels in Vietnam, in order to keep their weapons from misfiring.
wow i havent laughed that hard in a long time...PREFERBLY NON LUBRICATED......but that will work great..i wonder if you could do the same with the receiver...even if you have to have the antenna wire coming out, it will still keep it cleaner than without it bieng wrapped

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.