Losi 8T 2.0 RTR vs Hot Bodies D8T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8T 2.0 RTR vs Hot Bodies D8T

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike881
i'm feeling the werks b5 and the 2057 pipe. What else do I need guys besides the kit, starter box, servos, oils, engine and pipe? Does the kit come with a clutch and clutch bell...?

what oils are recommended for the D8T for a small 1/8 track?
Mike,

You'll be very happy with the Werks. GREAT little engines. (It was a toss-up for me between the Werks and the Alpha... I went with the Alpha and am happy, but am confident the Werks is also a good choice.)

Personal transponder, if you are going to race and if you don't already have one. Many tracks have "house transponders" but getting your own personal one saves a lot of hassle.

Batteries and charger, again, if you don't have them.

Tools. You may have some already, but you will need a 17mm wheel wrench (that is 1/8 scale & truggy specific) and a few odds and ends.

Glow ignitor if you don't have one. The Hobbico "Hot Shot" is simple, cheap, and reliable as gravity.

Fuel bottle and fuel

Air filter oil

Spare air filters

Spare glow plugs

a pit guy! lol
Old 05-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i'm feeling the werks b5 and the 2057 pipe. What else do I need guys besides the kit, starter box, servos, oils, engine and pipe? Does the kit come with a clutch and clutch bell...?

it comes with clutch bell and fly wheel but the clutch shoes and springs are JUNK!! dont even waste you time putting them on.

on the oils: diffs go with 7k front, 10k center and 3k rear and shocks go with the kit set up and oils, 500 front 400 rear. follow the instructions exactly as they say. also the screws for the shocks to the arm make sure to put the chrome ones on the correct side and they are reverse thread by the way, instruction does a bad job of telling that one thing.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

For a truggy the 2013 pipe will be better. More bottom end punch to haul the truggy around. It's also a great pipe to have in the arsenal as it works on pretty much any engine with great results.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Tech Addict

is the Losi 454 engine going to be a gas guzzler? anybody know the run times for them? My LHS has one and im thinking I should just go pick one up since this is my first 1/8 nitro... and I could sell the transmitter for atleast $100. I hate thinking too much
Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

is the Losi 454 engine going to be a gas guzzler? anybody know the run times for them? My LHS has one and im thinking I should just go pick one up since this is my first 1/8 nitro... and I could sell the transmitter for atleast $100. I hate thinking too much
I HEARD some good things about it. One guy was getting 9 min before a fill up in RACE conditions....... If your a beginner then it will be fine to start.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Initiate

I have a RTR t 2.0 and it was my first rc car, been good got it june 09 had to fix the some stuff most due to me ! I must say for the $ it was the best way for me to get into this hobby. I have replaced the sterring servo it just stoped working, and was way under what was needed !
The 454 is a good moter for a rtr loves fuel but has power most of it not need if at a track!
I will sone be makeing a race roller as a rtr is not the same ! The big difference in the rtr to the race roller is the flex and more parts are metal! My next car will be a eT 2.0
losi are good for the $$ , if only a 5 year old in china was not the maker in the plant, sorry
The hot bodies looks good. The name was what got me and parts were i live
Old 05-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

As for the earlier post of the shoes and springs being junk, i'm still on my original kit set, they work fine. I trimmed them as per the pros recommendation but still stock. I highly recommend that you give the d8t a chance stock then change if desired, I was happily suprised. As for the chassis, if you do need to replace it later they are usually available for $20 on eBay. Tough to beat.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Babygrand48
As for the earlier post of the shoes and springs being junk, i'm still on my original kit set, they work fine. I trimmed them as per the pros recommendation but still stock. I highly recommend that you give the d8t a chance stock then change if desired, I was happily suprised. As for the chassis, if you do need to replace it later they are usually available for $20 on eBay. Tough to beat.
I ordered a d8t it will be here by Monday hopefully. Now I have to debate over an engine and pipe. throughout this thread I had to convince myself to buy the losi rtr (no doubt losi is great but the roller is too expensive for me) so I didn't buy it since there was no convincing with the hot bodies. Wish me luck
Old 05-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Addict

Now my next step is the engine and pipe. Here's a like to amain and on the right hand side it says top sellers. I really like the price of the nova at like 129 or 139. Will I be happy with that one or is it REALLY worth it to get the werks b5? For $200 I could get the nova and a pipe vs $300 with the werks and pipe
Old 05-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Get the go 7 port. Its suck a good motor. it comes with an extra conrod. If you want the 5 port is on sell at amain for only 194. Its a great engine
Old 05-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Get the Werks. The nova may not have enough bottom to pull your new truck around.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Mike, I am reasonably new to this also and I also work with a tight budget. I have yet to purchase a new engine myself. I forget if you've mentioned your driving experience but I think the BF would probably be plenty for a while. On one hand it's only $70 more but that can get you some other things you need, it all adds up fast. The other thing is being new we tend to make mistakes and I prefer to learn on a $130 engine as opposed to a more expensive one. I own about 6 or 7 engines now and my BF is second only to my vspecs, primarily for ease of tuning compared to some others. Good luck, it's fun to get all this stuff but it makes you sick sometimes trying to decide what to get. Leave enough budget to be able to go drive and race it when you get it done!
Old 05-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Now my next step is the engine and pipe. Here's a like to amain and on the right hand side it says top sellers. I really like the price of the nova at like 129 or 139. Will I be happy with that one or is it REALLY worth it to get the werks b5? For $200 I could get the nova and a pipe vs $300 with the werks and pipe
get an Alpha with an Alpha 0801 pipe and youll be under 300 and this weekend mine blew away the werks B5 down the straights.

also i tried a modded nova (the version your talking about) and it still didnt have enough power to pull around a truggy IMO.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am not going to tell you what to get. The D8T is my first truggy and I got the Werks B5, also my first "real" engine this side of traxxas. And I must say its easy to tune and has plenty of power, and I love my D8T.

Hit the D8T and Werks B5 thread. I recommend starting at page 1 with the D8T and take some notes so you don't have to come back too often.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

B5 is worth it for sure. I still haven't gotten a chance to run mine yet, but I run with a lot of people that do run them and they are very impressive. For $200 they make that nova 3 port look like a RTR engine. The B5/2013 combo is IMO one of the best bang for your buck deals around right now. Just look at the customer support from Ron on the B5 thread. That alone is worth it to me.

Also consider that you don't absolutely have to have the werks pipe. You could save some money with a different pipe, but the 2013 is really worth it as it works great on sirio based engines like the werks as well as pretty much any brand engine out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.