Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8T 2.0 RTR vs Hot Bodies D8T

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

Default Losi 8T 2.0 RTR vs Hot Bodies D8T

I have not found many comparison threads, and sorry if this has been answered before.

I have my own transmitter (DX3S) and want to get into a nitro truggy. The Losi 8T 2.0 RTR seems like the best bet, and I could sell the radio when I get it.

The Hot Bodies D8T is currently 329.99 on Stormer Hobbies and comes with a free Losi starter box. A guy on the forums PM'd me and said he has a brand new Losi 8T 2.0 RTR for $610 shipped.

I am on a budget, and the $610 I could manage but how much would it cost to build a decent D8T?

My local hobby shop sells parts for both, which is making my decision even tougher.

What would you pick, and why?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

I would go with the 8T, and not just because I drive one. I race with a guy that runs a D8T and there was a bunch of things he had to do to it to be competitive with it. The 8T 2.0 RTR is competitive right out of the box and will be faster and easier to drive than the D8T in the beginning, plus there is a ton of factory support for the Losi, I don't know if it's the same with the D8T. Maybe some of the Hotbodies owners could chime in
Old 05-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hotbodies for sure, and I drive Associated.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike881
I have not found many comparison threads, and sorry if this has been answered before.

I have my own transmitter (DX3S) and want to get into a nitro truggy. The Losi 8T 2.0 RTR seems like the best bet, and I could sell the radio when I get it.

The Hot Bodies D8T is currently 329.99 on Stormer Hobbies and comes with a free Losi starter box. A guy on the forums PM'd me and said he has a brand new Losi 8T 2.0 RTR for $610 shipped.

I am on a budget, and the $610 I could manage but how much would it cost to build a decent D8T?

My local hobby shop sells parts for both, which is making my decision even tougher.

What would you pick, and why?

I think i can help you since i built a d8t. I got the kit for 329, as you said. When i got it, i did not get a free starter box with it, so that was an added cost to me. However, if you price it out, it would make much more economical sense to buy the 610 losi rtr. Look at it this way. D8t, 329, servos, 200, motor, 200, pipe 60-100. You are looking at 800 dollars, 190 over the price of the RTR you are looking at. Only thing with the RTR version of the 2.0 is the weak steering servo. You can change that to the throttle, then buy a new one for the steering, however, you can offset that cost and then some by selling the dx3s that came with the rtr. If you want a better engine, you can sell the engine in the RTR kit and use some of the cash made on the dx3s towards another engine.

Hope it helps.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the D8T is the best truggy i have ever driven straight out of the box!! i built it with the manual setup and it was perfect. i have ZERO upgrades. bone stock truggy and its perfect. ever since i got it (21 days ago) i have 3 wins and 2 thirds. the HB is incredible. so easy to drive at any speed, and durable!! more durable than losi IMO. the only thing the HB needs IMO is better bearings in the diff cases. i have driven a few losis and they push like no other. i had a guy that has been running losi since he started and he said "man this thing handles better than my truggy!" but anyways you cant go wrong with either one just get what you like more and dont look back.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DuckStang
I think i can help you since i built a d8t. I got the kit for 329, as you said. When i got it, i did not get a free starter box with it, so that was an added cost to me. However, if you price it out, it would make much more economical sense to buy the 610 losi rtr. Look at it this way. D8t, 329, servos, 200, motor, 200, pipe 60-100. You are looking at 800 dollars, 190 over the price of the RTR you are looking at. Only thing with the RTR version of the 2.0 is the weak steering servo. You can change that to the throttle, then buy a new one for the steering, however, you can offset that cost and then some by selling the dx3s that came with the rtr. If you want a better engine, you can sell the engine in the RTR kit and use some of the cash made on the dx3s towards another engine.

Hope it helps.
Well said, I believe you are right with this statment.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

One thing i forgot to mention is the added cost of another body that fits the D8t. That is an extra 30 dollars. The stock body is ugly as hell, IMO.

I can agree with Jmaxey of the durability of the d8t. Anyone that is familiar with the wolcott hobbies track, they know the light pole before the jump to the table top. When i first got it, i could not miss that pole. It was like a bulls eye. I can happily say that I have not replaced one part on my d8t so far. About 4 gallons in.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

LOSI, LOSI, LOSI, LOSI, LOSI!!!!

Hahaha, now on to a serious note, you really can't go wrong with either. Just go for the one you want and the one that makes economical sense for you. You can probably save a bit of money with the losi RTR, but you may end up with a better race rig with a kit. If you build a kit, you get to chose the engine and running gear you want right off the bat. I've always been partial to kits for racing, but losi does have the right idea with their RTR's.

If you're racing, I would lean towards a kit even though you may spend a little more money upfront(especially since you already have a good radio). If you're just messing around, you can't beat the losi RTR's. Even for racing the losi RTR's are a great start, but since you already have a radio, some of the value of them is lost.

Overall, kit vs kit it would be losi every time for me.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

the losi 2.0 t rtr has some good stuff decent motor good remote. But the chassis its self is junk. Yuo cant even compare it to the d8t. The losi 8ight t roller is a great car but the rtr version is junk. Get the d8t for sure, i had this same question i ended up getting a d8 buggy and i love it! Its such a great car. Ive driven the losi and the associated and the hot bodies is my favorite car. Sure its a little heavier than the other cars but its more stable and its worth the money! D8T hands down
Old 05-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Losi 8T RTR is the BEST RC Deal out there..........

Well you looking at spending another 200 on the Losi for decent servos.

Im a Losi Fanboy, and I would go losi, but the D8T is not bad.

385 D8T

200 servos
250 engine

Losi 700
servo 100 for steering
- sale of radio

Losi still looks cheaper...
Old 05-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

RC racing is all about the driver not the car..

All of the current generation RC cars are on par with each other just pick whatever car fits your budget, and is the easiest to get parts for or has a local following where you can get set up tips from other drivers.

I've own losi, AE, and HB cars and to be honest I don't see myself switching cars anytime soon.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...h-voltage.html

thast a great deal very low run time all you need it sounds like it a remote starter box and charger for the battery!
Old 05-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

NEW LOSI FOR 610 - - - - -NEW NEW NEW
Old 05-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Ok the losi isnt that great. The chassis isnt like the roller. Its cheaper heavier and not great. He will end up wanting a better motor and better servos. Then he will want a better chassis. If you buy teh losi rtr you will end up spending 2x more than what you would if you bought a d8t.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcdude236
Ok the losi isnt that great. The chassis isnt like the roller. Its cheaper heavier and not great. He will end up wanting a better motor and better servos. Then he will want a better chassis. If you buy teh losi rtr you will end up spending 2x more than what you would if you bought a d8t.
hahahahaha, ok, whats wrong with the RTR....... Most people run it and replace stuff as needed. The engine is not bad either, I hear alot of Pros run them for club races and practices....... Servos I covered already. I cant speak for what HE may or may not want need or even notice.

I think 90% of the people the RACE will acknowledge that the Losi 8T 2.0 RTR is the best deal out for a race proven out the box RTR..... And dont you need like 500 in hopups on the D8/D8T to get it to perform in the same class of the big dogs. Hummm, thats just what I see, and hear/heard from even HB drivers.

I just wont get a used setup, not sure where it has been and whats its been through.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.