Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Aaron Waldron

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
BLAH BLAH BLAH. It's not that bad, all you're doing is cutting the bead of the tire. You gotta do that for a lot of other tires anyway.

You haven't IMed me in a while...haha.
Truhe is the one who didnt like doing it!

Our home computer is down right now, I'm using my moms work laptop for now and I dont want to download anything on to it. And she has it when she is at work so at night is the only time I can use it...which is actually pretty good because now during the day I work on my stuff instead of jumping on the computer
Old 06-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

Hahaha. Truhe has done well with those tires though!
Old 06-06-2007, 01:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello

I would like to purchase a set up station for Losi 8ight, and I am wondering if the all in one on road universal set for 1/8 car would work on the buggy. Since I dont see Hudy has any all in one station for offroad cars, I am assuming that the on road station works for the offroad too? or if not what do you reccomend?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kmaheartless
Hello

I would like to purchase a set up station for Losi 8ight, and I am wondering if the all in one on road universal set for 1/8 car would work on the buggy. Since I dont see Hudy has any all in one station for offroad cars, I am assuming that the on road station works for the offroad too? or if not what do you reccomend?

Thanks!
http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...5&kategoria=64

Theres the offroad one. Its a little overkill for offroad though. IMHO, all you need is a camber and ride height gauge.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

http://www.teammagic.com.tw/en/profr...7105&pageNum=1

That is the setup station I use. I made a review of it here (however it uses a slightly different design, this new one is under the HARD brand name, the old one is under the Team Magic brand name, but both are effectively the same.)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=155836
Old 06-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

You don't want to know what Aaron thinks about setup stations for off road cars.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Ya, I thought he said he uses a soda can next to the wheel to tell base his respective measurements from..... Its darn hard to tell the difference between 1º and 2ºs..... Yet they must get their measurements some how for the setup sheet eh?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Tech Champion

You should hear him at the track when someone pulls out anything like that. Even a car stand.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The only 2 "tweaking" tools I use are a camber gauge and an engine mount. I use a flathead screw in the engine mount for a ride height gauge. And thats only at home.

At the track, I use my eyes and a table.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (92%+)

hey guys need some serious help
my rear diff is making this horrible clacking noise
if you roll the wheels back and forth it seems like it binding
i took the rear apart twice,spins fine as soon as i tighenting screws it starts

the plastic inserts on the bearing seem to be worn you can wiggle the diff around, all the bearings seem fine,
I cant figure what it is, the problem is in my 8t
any help would be appreciated
Old 06-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I find eyeballing almost impossible for myself. On a daily basis I work with materials in plumbing (new construction) and instead of whipping out a level in most cases, I go by eye because if it looks good to my eye, it will look even better to a customers eye, and I'd say I'm fairly good at the eyeball technique in that aspect.

But when it comes to eyeballing things on a buggy or truggy, I end up pissed and ripping my hair out because it may look close, but I cant accept a little off in one direction and it just snowballs into an hour long or better ordeal for me, implementing a setting and then something just doesnt look right and then I change something and find something wrong with that (even though there may well be nothing wrong with the first time I made the setting. And not knowing the exact degree of a setting, IE camber or toe, whatever, I cant stop until I feel its right. But by that point its worse than when I started.

So I ended up with a hudy universal setup station, even though I feel they are difficult to get the exact settings vs. the actual ride height that these settings should be taking place at, I put something under the car and hold it there and then make my changes while I'm pushing down to whatever's holding the car from bottoming. Then, the settings may not be absolutely perfect, but they are all symmetrical in the end and I'd rather have a car thats true at all four corners, than be a little off all the way around.

Just FYI, when I got my hudy station, prior to that I was using an RPM camber gauge and when I put it on the station, I found my settings were 2-3 degree's or more off of what they were from using the RPM gauge no matter how I sliced it.

Setup stations are not for everyone nor are they a necessity and most of all unless you spend some time figuring out the best way to make it work for you and it mat be overkill. But my perfectiveness and the will to go at it until the end of time to get it right, which is just too much work for me, I pull the station out and put the car on and I feel confident in the end that I'll be happy and I wont have to go back for more afterwards, unless its small changes that I can make on the fly by making the adjustments the same when on the track.

But this is just me, some people think of them as POS's and not worth the card board box they come in, but for people like myself, I find its worth every penny and then some. Now only if I could find a top plate for my 8ight T that would fit without hacking it up I'd be all set.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

I'm sure Mr. Kerr started laughing when he saw that someone asked me about a setup station. My thoughts on a setup station are this:

It's pointless. Absolutely pointless. For one, you're never going to get an off-road car perfect. Slop in the axles, arms, hubs, caster blocks, steering linkage, etc. is going to throw off your "perfect" toe setting by more than you will err with a ruler (or an RPM toe-gauge). An off-road tire will deflect more than you can err by using a soda can for a camber gauge. Not to mention that off-road wheels warp and can be pushed out of round and are sometimes not true straight out of the package. And the fuel load in your car affects everything; you car will be lighter at the end of the run than the beginning. As well, set your car up with a different amount of fuel than last time, and your settings will be different.

Whack a wall or a board (or even land a jump on one wheel) once and the 20 minutes you spent on your setup station are all for naught.

And secondly, it's a waste of time. There's NO WAY you can tell the difference. You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen and heard of pro-level drivers running their cars with shocks mounted in different holes, and not having any idea. Camber and toe are such minor adjustments in the grand scheme of things that often the only change you "feel" after an adjustment is all in your head.

Now don't get me wrong, I use an AE ride height gauge, and RPM camber and toe gauges (on occasion, hahaha). Not really so much for accuracy, but to take note of what's on my car before I go drive it (for example, if I am practicing and my dad lowers the rear ride height one turn during a pit stop, it's worth it to note the actual change once returning to the pits).

icemandolmite - It's likely the rear diff bearing inserts. I've had that happen in my buggy twice. Losi makes aluminum bearing inserts to help remedy that problem.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Interesting thoughts Aaron. Of course this is all fun and games so whatever floats the hobbyist's boat.

I came from onroad where it is critical, and I cant stand the thought of my car at least balanced left to right. I do have to mention, I have only raced at a pro offroad track twice, which would be Revelation (if thats considered pro....) Actually, if found my settings pretty consistent even when I have completely abused it while running my practice laps or running here @ our modest track in Santa Barbara. They will differ half a degree or so after casing big jumps, but still that is acceptable to me compared to the eyeball effect where I see 1º the guage actually tells me 4º-5ºs.

You are correct about the deflection and how true these tires are and how good one is at gluing tires perfectly eh? I know I suck at gluing tires, as my hands usually are joined to them at some point.

Interesting point on pros not knowing they are running the wrong setups or something else than what they actually were using...

Well, you eyeball yours, or in your case let your dad do it (just couldn't resist!) and Ill set mine up with a nice shiny aluminum tool (can the soda can be called that also )

Hehe, weekends coming up, cant wait to try my new pipe (2045 w 98mm header) on the 8 and my new 3pks vs my old M11.... Damn these toys are fun, but the best is the laughter about all the stupid things youve done that day in the pits! Ask kcdzim about me trying to start my 8 for 30min with an empty fuel tank!
Old 06-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Aaron- I did start laughing when I saw that. First thing that went through my mind was the day at Revelation when Donny broke out his setup station and you just rode him about it.

As an on road guy myself who likes to play in the dirt too, I agree that it's hard to get away from the ultra precise and sensitive mindset from running a touring car or especially a 1/12 scale on carpet. But I do agree with Aaron. Off road is just different. I've tried making changed like 1 degree to 3 degrees of camber and not noticed a thing on the track. The only adjustment like that on the Mugen that seems to make a big difference is caster. change a 1mm caster shim, and you can feel it. Camber link locations, shock oils, springs, and pistons, are all much more obvious and noticeable changes.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Ya, I agree, most people can't feel the changes, though they think they might. Although, the change may be reflected in your laptimes more than anything else. You wont feel a change if your just shaving tenths of a second off...

I like one of Aarons last quotes which was something to the effect of not trusting what you feel, but trusting only the stopwatch. Gosh I wish tracks would leave the AMP setup going during all working hours so that we could check our times during practice at AMB's mylaps.com.... I don't have any other way to check myself unless I want to utilize my timing function in my radio...if I can remember while driving...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.