Ask Aaron Waldron

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Aaron Waldron

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Gearing down does the opposite. While you may sacrifice top speed, you usually gain power everywhere else. It will feel like the power starts earlier in the RPM range and pulls harder. Your clutch will engage with more authority and last longer because it's not slipping. Fuel mileage can suffer on larger tracks because you'll drive harder on faster sections of the track, where acceleration isn't a factor.
I tried the 13t today, and it seems like there is still not a lot of power on the low end. The clutch is brand new and also I checked the clutch and it looked fine. My clutch setup is 2 kingsheadz with silver springs and 2 composite with gold springs. Engine is a 427 that came with the RTR. It seems like the engine is revving pretty high but the clutch isn't kicking in I cant figure this out... Is it suppose to be like this?

Also, what size/brand batteries to you run on your eight? Will a 2 x 2 x 1 fit? Should I go with higher mAh? I am looking for an extra battery because my digital servos drains the electric like no tomorrow.

and what engine would you recommend me on getting, cause I am trying to make it race legal for club!

Thanks Aaron, I have so many questions RC is complicated
Old 07-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Tech Elite

flybywire - I don't know, I haven't heard.

You're allowed to see it, that's not the problem. Haha.

kma - If the engine is revving up but you still don't have much power, your clutch isn't engaging. You should take the clutch apart and make sure the shoes swing freely on the flywheel pins. Double check the clutch nut to make sure it's tight. Did you clean the oil out of your clutch bearings? Any oil or many cleaners will cause the clutch to slip if you get it on the clutch bell or shoes.

I run Trinity receiver packs; they have new 1500's now. I've heard of people using 2x2x1 AA packs but I'm not sure how they get them to fit, haha. Bigger capacity batteries will last longer with your digital servos.

There are a lot of solid engines on the market right now. Novarossi makes a few great engines, and the O.S. VG and V-Spec run very well. I run the Trinity Platinum engines, and they're awesome. If you're looking for a racing engine, you can't go wrong with any of these brands.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
kma - If the engine is revving up but you still don't have much power, your clutch isn't engaging. You should take the clutch apart and make sure the shoes swing freely on the flywheel pins. Double check the clutch nut to make sure it's tight. Did you clean the oil out of your clutch bearings? Any oil or many cleaners will cause the clutch to slip if you get it on the clutch bell or shoes.
kma, after you check what Aaron told you, also check your center diff. Yesterday my buddy had a similar situation and his center diff was bone dry I too checked his clutch shoes and even changed them for him as a first response. He went out out and his car had the same symptoms. We pulled the center diff and that is when we found it was empty. Just a thought since we just had this happen to us.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Good call!
Old 07-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Aaron I asked this on another forum but what is your opinion?
What is the difference between the offroad .21 carbs and the onroad .21 carbs (Novarossi) ? The offroad carb body is plastic and the onroad is aluminum but what are the actual performance differences? At one time I heard that the plastic body was to stop the fuel from being heated as it entered the motor. We generally ran the on-road motors hotter so to me it doesn't make sense that they would have the aluminum body if that was the case.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

As I understand it (a common theme lately, haha):

A plastic or composite body carburetor is supposed to be more consistent. Because aluminum is susceptible to swell at temperatures easily reached by a running engine, the plastic is supposed to remain more consistent when the engine is at running temperature, which should make the engine run more consistently as well. I have heard of engines in the past that had problems with plastic carburetors breaking.

I'm not sure why they'd use the plastic one for off-road and the aluminum for off-road, however. It might have something to do with on-road motors being run that much hotter?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Aaron.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

OK Aaron. You need to get down here to the new Family Hobbies 1/8 scale track at Barona for some Friday night racing. It was pretty good Friday for the first night and It'll get better and better. No excuses now.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Aaron & Pumpkinfish - I found where the problem was. The gears in the center differential somehow went out of their slot and it stripped the whole gear box >_< The weird thing is I never messed with the center differential and it was working fine all the way since I serviced it with 7000 cs diff fluid till now. Does this kind of problem happens a lot. Or is it because I messed with the clutch bell setting or the diff fluid which I shouldn't? I am clueless right now
Old 07-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Mike - No problem. Sorry that's not a very helpful answer, haha.

Jon - Yeah yeah...now I really have no excuse, haha.

kma - The first thing that comes to mind, is making sure you got the gears back in the right notches in the diff, and got everything put back together correctly. I'm not really sure that it happens all that often, so just make sure you get everything tight and seated well before you run the car again.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey Aaron I saw the fuel gun holder you made for casey on sat, very good idea.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Tech Elite

HAHAHAHA! My dad made those, I couldn't believe it when he showed me the first one. He keeps buying cheap tape measures at Home Depot to take the clips off the back of them, and now we have a bunch of clip-less tape measures around the house.

Too funny that Casey was sporting the holster at a club race.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The Pit is having a 2 hr endurance race and it is a Pro/Sportsman thing...come over I need a partner!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

First of all, we'd have to use a Losi car. Then we'll talk...

Is your computer working alright? Seems like AIM is being funny.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
First of all, we'd have to use a Losi car. Then we'll talk...

Is your computer working alright? Seems like AIM is being funny.
Haha of course we would use yours. Im still in Canada, eh, and didnt want to download AIM on this computer so I tried AIM express and it crashed my computer whenever I tried to send you a message.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.