Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Aaron Waldron

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For some reason.. dirt doesn't stick to my tires.. after I get done racing I clean my tires and my truck.. I've been using simple green and denatured alchohol mixed and I spray in on my tires also after cleaning with water to make them look new.. so, maybe that's why.. I've heard of others using a silicon spray or something.. maybe give it a try.. what can it hurt.. someone else is bound to have an idea
Old 10-11-2004, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Transmitter

Okay, so we've all seen it in mags and pro drivers have adopted it as the transmitter of choice, but what does a super high end transmitter like the Airtronics M8 have that a lower end one like an Airtronics MX-3S doesn't?

Why do pro drivers almost exclusively use the M8.

I'm more curious about actual usable stats/features than grip comfort and other subjective items.

p.s. Sorry if this was covered, the search feature on the board will not search for under three characters (i.e. No M8 searches).
Old 10-11-2004, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

well, the mx3s is just a radio. the m8 has an attachment for sharpening kitchen knives, which doubles as a juicer, a corkscrew, and easter decoration. it also shows up the mx3s by having TWO cupholders, a cigarette lighter plug, and of course, a built insurvival kit (matches, bandaids, cell phone).

hehe seriously though, despite its almost comically massive size, the m8 just steps up with a few additional features, and improvements on other features.

im WAY too tired at this hour of the morning so i didnt bother comparing the features of the two, which you can do at tower hobbies' website
Old 10-11-2004, 08:06 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

You can compare the features of the two radios at www.airtronics.net also.

The MX3 is getting closer to the M8 with the new MX3S but like beetlebz said the M8 just has some extra features. They are actually both controlled by the same software in the radio's but the M8 has extra features turned on. It is like XP home edition (MX3) and XP pro (M8) if you know about computers. Both get the job done one as more features you may or may not end up using.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by beetlebz
well, the mx3s is just a radio. the m8 has an attachment for sharpening kitchen knives, which doubles as a juicer, a corkscrew, and easter decoration. it also shows up the mx3s by having TWO cupholders, a cigarette lighter plug, and of course, a built insurvival kit (matches, bandaids, cell phone).
I busted out laughing at the first part of your answer. That's the funniest thing I have ever read on here.

I did some research before. Airtronics just has like one page listing of a picture of the transmistter and a few blurbs. I actually compared them on Tower hobbies because that's where I bought my MX-3S.

The reason I posted is because I was curious why the pros love this thing so much.

I can't see how features like a lap timer is going to help anyone. Arent pro drivers too busy driving to hit a button to record their own lap times when it's usually done by a transponder system? Who needs a backlight? Are you racing in the dark?

Maybe I need to ask a better question: What features of the M8 (that other radios do not provide) do pros use in race situations?

edit: I am only familiar with electric off-road applications. Consider me a total newbie/know nothing in the realm of gas.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

I'm pretty sure the two biggest selling points for the M8 on the pro level are the comfort and signal strength.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

I'm learning about stock electric motor maintenance and I was curious how a consumer re-zaps magnets.

Is there a product that does this?

How do you know when your stock motor's magnets are shot?

Also any advice on lathes would be appreciated. I've been reading about them all morning and the general recommendation is Hudy if you can afford it. Is a diamond cutting bit a good idea?

What does the "automatic" Hudy comm lathe do exactly? Does it automate the cutting process so you just push a button and watch?

Do I need to avoid any brands?

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Tech Prophet

I think the real reason the M8 is so popular is that when it came out it had the best reaction time. (it has the fastest resonse time). This is no longer the case but most pro drivers are comfortable with the radio which makes it the choice of most racers. Also a lot of them are sponsered by Airtronics (money). I do not think there is anything special about the M8. It is a battery hog and IMO heavy. There are other radio's out there that do everything the M8 does and more and some that even do it better. If you like the feel of the radio you cannot go with it. KO Mars and Helios, Futaba 3PK, JR R-1 and X3S, Along with the Airtronics M8 and MX3 are all radios that have the features you need to be competative with what ever type of racing you want to do (10 electric to 1/8 gas). Find the radio you like.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

I wouldn't be concerned with re-zapping magnets. I've never re-zapped an electric motor..and with a stocker, if the magnets DO ever go bad..a whole new motor is only $35.

Diamond bits last longer than carbide ones. The Hudy lathe is GREAT..but I don't have any experience with the automatic one.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Tech Prophet

For magnets. If the motor does not "snap" to the next pole with the brushes taken out of the hoods, that is a good indication your magnets are going.

For lathes, the Fantom lathe is the best on the market but also pricey. Hudy makes a great lathe also, Trinity, integy, Orion and some others make good lathes that cut well. I would recommend a diamond bit. It is not required but if you take care of it it will last forever and not need sharpening like a carbide cutter will. A good investment IMO especially if you do not know how to sharpen a carbide cutter.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

Default x1

Hey Aaron,
Do you know when the Ofna Jammin' X1 is scheduled to realese? Also How much do you think a kit will run?

Thanks!
Karter
Old 10-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

They're getting ready to release the first run of kits to hobby stores in the next week or so..it should be very soon. I'm not sure what the running street price will be, but I can guarantee it will be very competitively priced.

The public has been waiting long enough! This is one dialed buggy and I think a lot of people are going to like it.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:41 PM
Tech Regular

Default rims still stripping :(

hey aaron,

perhaps you might have some more insight. I tighten my lug nuts as tight as i can before the CVDs bind. literally any tighter and it decreases spin time when i crank the wheels by hand.

and for some reason im STILL stripping rims! i had two sets of mounted track tires and one set of bashing tires. both rear rims on one of the sets of racing tires stripped completely (by the cross pin in the axle) and today i hit the gas and the truck pulled to the left. turns out the left rear rim on my basher set stripped too!

any more thoughts on what im doing so wrong? this was never EVER an issue before i went to CVDs. maybe it was a fluke and a rock got lodged between the carrier and rim while it was WOT but still, 3 rims in 2 weeks?

i should also mention i run on a mix of process gravel (hard as nails) with a sandy top coat, and actual loose gravel. the gravel does wreak havok on the flywheel and spur gear, could that be it?
Old 10-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

I'd try replacing the wheel pins and the axles, just for kicks. Check your hub bearings and the actual hub itself for damage.

I'm not sure as to the conversion, but I know many GT drivers have used the B4 and Losi-style true-spin washers with great success...ask about it on the GT thread.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:12 PM
Tech Regular

i checked out the parts explosion of the XXXNT drake (i cant find AE's explosion of the B4), and i THINK youre talking about the bearing spacer axle washer setup, which im not sure about. well, no time like the present to start a central GT thread. would certainly keep the forum cleaner

*shuffles foot shamefully*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.