Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Aaron Waldron

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iluminati
Anyone know if a BK2 front shock tower will fit on an XXX-T MF2? I was thinking of installing a BK2 body but it appears I need the BK2 shock tower and some rear posts.
The tower should fit, but I believe the XXX-T chassis is longer, so the BK2 body probably won't look right on it.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iluminati
Anyone know if a BK2 front shock tower will fit on an XXX-T MF2? I was thinking of installing a BK2 body but it appears I need the BK2 shock tower and some rear posts.
It will fit, but the front shocks on the truck are considerably longer than the 2wd. You actually should be able to mount the car body on a truck chassis without the 2wd shock tower, and no additional chassis mods - just have to drill the hole for the front body clip about 1/2-3/4" in front of where the body has the molded indentation. the bends in the side of the body may not line up exactly, but it wont be off by much... The rear body mounts come with the motor gaurd - LOSA-4123.

just curious - why would you wanna do that? :P
Old 06-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

What up Mr. Pink? You need to make it out here for the Shootout one of these years...
Old 06-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

I know it dude, i told myself that this would be the year.... It ended up being the year that i bought a house sorry to jam in your thread, but his question got my brain going bonkers
Old 06-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

No need to appoligize Lars. I jacked his thread for like a month once answering all the questions!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Lars: I bought the MF2 for durability but I like the buggy body look a bit better. I picked up a illusions BK2 body, cut it up to measure it against the chassis and apparently it fits perfectly if I can get a different buggly type shock tower and add rear mounts. The MF2 front shock tower has an X crossbar which makes it too tight to fit the nose of the buggy body. My front bulkhead even has the single mount spot for the BK2 body. If the BK2 front shock tower has the same height and screw placement for shock and chasis mount I figure I can make a go of it.

BTW on a second point, I have heard some racers using a B4 spur/slipper setup on BK2s, anyone have any sucess with this? Is there any advantage aside from less noise?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

Ahh, i see what you mean now. You're problem is gonna be - the height of the shock towers is not the same: so if you install a 2wd tower, you're going to have wayy to much down travel, due to the truck front shocks being longer than the 2wd front shocks. You could limit the inside of the shocks, but i have a feeling you'll still have a lot of down travel. I've not heard of anyone running the B4 slipper on the BK2, i run Kevlar spurs on all my cars, and just deal with the little added noise
Old 06-15-2006, 06:54 AM
Tech Addict

Aaron, I noticed the other day while visiting a hobby shop that the MF2 bodies now being sold actually have the protective clear film covering over them. I had to check twice to make sure what I was seeing was correct and Losi FINALLY got on board to do this. I'm wondering if Losi has decided to do this to all the current bodies out there they make for their cars, buggies, and trucks. Do you know any info on this? I really do like to pick up the Losi bodies for all of my cars, but due to them never having the protective film I end up buying other manufacturer's bodies for my Losi cars simply because I can't stand dealing with trying not to get paint on the outside of the body and the difficulty of removing sharpie marker from Lexan (it gets more difficult to remove after a couple of days, which is usually the amount of time it takes me to paint a body). If Losi is producing all bodies now with the protective film, I may have to pick up a few new shells this weekend.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:22 AM
Tech Prophet

You can put suran (SP?) wrap over the bodies and use that as your protective cover. I think that stuff even shrinks with a little heat so you can get a nice tight cover.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Tech Addict

I already do that Casper when I need to paint a Losi body, but it doesn't work nearly as well as the protective covering from the factory. the suran wrap does shrink a little with some heat, but it doesn't wrap really tight... and I've tried it a lot. Once you start airbrushing, the air blowing from the brush ends up lifting edges of the wrap and then you've got paint making its way on the outside of the body.
Seriously, I'd love to know if Losi is really finally catching up in this department. I think they are the last company that hasn't caught on (well, other than parma, but not many people use parma bodies for racing vehicles) From what I hear, Lexan comes already with that covering already on it, so Losi removes it before packaging the body. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but it certainly wouldn't make much sense to do things that way.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Tech Prophet

I would say there lexan suplier does not do this. I have a hard time thinking losi would go through the effort to take this off as that is time comsuming to them. It would be cheaper to leave it on. I agree though, you would think for as long as people have been complaining about this they whould have caved in by now?
On the suran wrap. Tape the sides to the flange of the body so it does not lift!
Old 06-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Saran wrap
Old 06-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Tech Prophet

Thanks Turbo. I knew I was spelling it wrong. It is my right as an engineer to not know how to spell things!
Old 06-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I'm just fascinated by the whole heat-shrink deal...LOL...I gotta try that some dime. It would be great for trying to repair my shoddily-painted bodies.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

illuminati - The easiest fix could simply be cutting the front of the body to fit through the truck shock tower...or even cutting the front of the body off and using velcro to hold the body on (put velcro on the sides of the chassis and on the inside of the body, right along the bottom).

As far as I know, Losi's bodies will come with the film on them.

Lars - You can pitch in here whenever you want...haha!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.