Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro vs Electric

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Remember when companys like amain and duratrax sold gas conversion kits for the RC10T and Losi LXT? That was the start of a new class to race. Soon after almost all the major car manufactures started making 1/10th gas trucks. Well now 1/10th gas is almost dead around were i live. Now every 1/8th nitro car manufacture has a E conversion, or a dedicated 1/8th E car. Again it gives everyone a new class to race. I just wonder were it will be 10 years from now. People will always race a new class because its different and fun, just like the slash class. But at the end of the day nitro 1/8th is still the one off the largest and most competitive classes at the top level of racing around the world. I think its safe to say that E cars are not going to top that anytime soon. this is just my opinion, but im not about to convert to E cause i have to much fun racing nitro.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by plus2ss
Remember when companys like amain and duratrax sold gas conversion kits for the RC10T and Losi LXT? That was the start of a new class to race. Soon after almost all the major car manufactures started making 1/10th gas trucks. Well now 1/10th gas is almost dead around were i live. Now every 1/8th nitro car manufacture has a E conversion, or a dedicated 1/8th E car. Again it gives everyone a new class to race. I just wonder were it will be 10 years from now. People will always race a new class because its different and fun, just like the slash class. But at the end of the day nitro 1/8th is still the one off the largest and most competitive classes at the top level of racing around the world. I think its safe to say that E cars are not going to top that anytime soon. this is just my opinion, but im not about to convert to E cause i have to much racing nitro.

you do make a good point on that topic. i mean if i had a close ,indoor track that races 1/8 buggys. than i would get a 1/8 e buggy ,but for outdoors for me nitro all the way. but i get if some people go ,to tracks where its close to houses and people wine about the noise than ,1/8 e buggy whould be the choice.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

That is the great thing about r/c.If you race or just bash there is every style that you can imagine with so many different power supplies.We all have fun with our sport or we wouldnt do it.So to each there own and enjoy!
Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

This is nonsense, both cost a bit of money. My buddy both got into 8 scale last summer and he got a electric and i got a nitro. Coming from electric off road racing i wanted to get my gashole on and he didn't really wanna be bothered with it. We are good drivers but from what i have learned is they both cost the same. Lipo's take a beating the speedos are sensitive (rx8 is what he uses) says the mamba doesn't feel as good. Honestly the car is beastly on 4s but he has had alot of hassles with the rotors debonding and speedo failures. He loves it when it works good. He has it sorted now but honestly it sucks to have to make the pitstop with the batteries. You can't survive a 30 min a without destroying the field.... I mean really destroying the field.

I have driven my eight and his eight and i am so much more comfortable with the electric cause thats what i do but it's not the same. They will be seperated soon i am sure cause it just doenst mix well on the track.

He wants a nitro and i want a electric. The buying never stops but i know for sure it ain't "cheaper".

FWIW my nitro ate one clutch bell cause the motor moved after 5 races 2 clutchs with bearing change and 1/2 a gallon. Not much. Him 2 speedos 3 rotors (borrowed my car to complete heats) 1 puffed lipo = more dnf's and stress.

But when it's working he kills the nitros. I get jealous. Also you need to use 4 cell lipos at roar races that applys to some.

There is nothing like nitro racing though.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

With all this talk about this cost $$... and that costs $$$..... did anybody happen to mention the differences in things like... throttle response and the the actual driving style differences between the two?
Old 02-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rattlesnaker
With all this talk about this cost $$... and that costs $$$..... did anybody happen to mention the differences in things like... throttle response and the the actual driving style differences between the two?
I did.

Basically the e 1/th is like a big 4wd 1/10th car.

nitro 1/8th is nitro 1/8th
Old 02-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rattlesnaker
Totally different driving styles. Electric the power is instantaneous which is one of the advantages over nitro. They accelerate about 2x's as fast a well tuned nitro. This means you can clear jumps with a short run up that nitros have no chance in hell of clearing. You don't blip the throttle, you just slowly roll into it.

On the other hand, all the power makes putting it down on the ground a challenge if you aren't careful. Once you get used to it though, it isn't such a big deal.

The nice thing though is that you can control the power and throttle through the ESC/computer for more or less power. So while the nitros might turn the HSN or whatever, you "tune" by adjusting ESC settings.

Fast drivers are fast drivers, regardless of what they are wheeling. Just a different style
Old 02-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Tech Prophet

heres what i figure if nitro cost more in the long run .

1. if your club racing (point series racing) than nitro shoulnt cost more in the long run . your just having fun

2. if your going to nothing but pro events etc than i can defiely see it costing
more in the long run but probety to much more than a electric.

from a former electric driver driving a mod, brush motor and a brushless motor the throttle, reponse on a electric. is quicker to quick if you ask me . and i just love the fact that a, nitro powerband feels like im in more control . and i seem faster with a nitro . to me nitro has just enough, torque to race and if you want it to feel somewhat. like a electric just use two carbon shoes/ 2 alum and use a meduim spring ,on the carbon and a stiffer one on the alum.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Totally different driving styles. Electric the power is instantaneous which is one of the advantages over nitro. They accelerate about 2x's as fast a well tuned nitro. This means you can clear jumps with a short run up that nitros have no chance in hell of clearing. You don't blip the throttle, you just slowly roll into it.

On the other hand, all the power makes putting it down on the ground a challenge if you aren't careful. Once you get used to it though, it isn't such a big deal.

The nice thing though is that you can control the power and throttle through the ESC/computer for more or less power. So while the nitros might turn the HSN or whatever, you "tune" by adjusting ESC settings.

Fast drivers are fast drivers, regardless of what they are wheeling. Just a different style

yea thats somewhat true what i is i just say, in the thottle to hit a big double and it clears the jump, fine without caseing it. sometimes i will blip the thottle in the air if needed. alot of times i seen with ,guys racing electric 1/8 they will overclear the jump a lot .
Old 02-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

I have watched races on youtube when they show a race with both running nit/EP in the same race and you can see the EP doing it easier over the double and triple jumps.
I see both sides of view in preference,either way none of it is cheap.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

electric, a lot of 10th scale guys that never ran nitro are now entering the 1/8 class for racing now that 1/10 is slowing down, cool. nitro, smeels great, sounds great and is more realistic. electric, you better be a good tire gluer. nitro, pit strategy, tuning and flameouts play a huge role in the end. electric, very nice if you just want to go out and drive. if i add all the money i have spent on pipes, starter boxes, plugs, pipe gaskets and springs, fuel, fuel tubing, glow ignitors, motors, clutch shoes and springs i could have had quite an awesome electric setup, but i've already spent it on nitro so i can't switch now. i do have an 18th scale lipo/brushless buggy and its cool to go out and just drive. car, radio and me. brushless setup with 2 5000 mah lipos would be nice on those days..... almost.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Originally Posted by j_blaze14
electric, a lot of 10th scale guys that never ran nitro are now entering the 1/8 class for racing now that 1/10 is slowing down, cool. nitro, smeels great, sounds great and is more realistic. electric, you better be a good tire gluer. nitro, pit strategy, tuning and flameouts play a huge role in the end. electric, very nice if you just want to go out and drive. if i add all the money i have spent on pipes, starter boxes, plugs, pipe gaskets and springs, fuel, fuel tubing, glow ignitors, motors, clutch shoes and springs i could have had quite an awesome electric setup, but i've already spent it on nitro so i can't switch now. i do have an 18th scale lipo/brushless buggy and its cool to go out and just drive. car, radio and me. brushless setup with 2 5000 mah lipos would be nice on those days..... almost.
electric, very nice if you just want to go out and drive.
Good point made,and that's what some people want to do is just drive and enjoy the hobby without the extra hassle.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by j_blaze14

my take on nitro is if you are just club, racing (point racing) just for fun theres really no need for, a $400 or more engine, a $260 is perfect . i ran a 86 pipe for everytrack i been on a short track, long track and seems to perform fine. for clutch shoes i run a pair, of long lasting clutch shoes .

but hey its your money . i just count on my driving and, no im not the best but im not bad though. i also run a rc18t brushless and, i dont like the feel of the powerband really i, even turned down .the throttle ,epa and changed the timing lol. i like running a shock motor if ,i run anything electric lol.