Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro vs Electric

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain america
Pros and cons to each. Electric is a bit cleaner and certainly far quieter, which is great if you run on an indoor track or near a residential area.

The biggest "con" for me, and the reason they'll have to pry my nitro engine from my cold dead hands is that your $1500 top-of-the-line racing buggy sounds just like a $50 Radio Shack junker; I don't care how fast or efficient electric is, the toy car sound just cheapens the whole R/C experience for me.

I can still remember the first time I was trying my first engine 4 years ago. Finally got my buggy out of the garage and outside on the ground and started tuning, so I'm getting on the throttle progressively, and my neighbor comes running out of his place.

Neighbor: "WTF is that sound??"

Me: **points to my buggy**

Neighbor: "wow, that thing runs on gas?"

Me: "no, not gasoline. A special mixture, closer to rocket fuel."

Neighbor:

Neighbor: " how fast can that little thing go?"

Me: "not so fast since it's made for off-road, about 40-45mph."

Neighbor:

Me: "wanna see?"

Neighbor: *nods*

Me: ligns up in the middle of the street, makes sure there are no incoming cars, buries the throttle--buggy SCREAMS by (buggy also has a Vantage pipe, BTW)

Neighbor:

Neighbor: "Christ on a crutch, that thing sounds like a Formula 1 car!"

Me: *grins*
Same reaction I get when I run my truck. I love the smell of the burning fuel and how it sticks to your cloths so when your done running you can still smell the Nitro and lets not forget the High RPM scream of the motor. I like electric but give me fuel any day
Old 02-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
Same reaction I get when I run my truck. I love the smell of the burning fuel and how it sticks to your cloths so when your done running you can still smell the Nitro and lets not forget the High RPM scream of the motor. I like electric but give me fuel any day
Wonder if we bottle up that smell and sell it as cologne....
Old 02-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by wiscnitro

the nitro smell that gets on your shirt from ,racing allday makes you smell like a man lol.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HoboShop
Nitro is for real racers it is not for lazy people. Nitro racing is much more realistic you have more things that have to be tuned and tweaked and that have to be set dead-on at the same time. Watching a nitro race is much more fun than watching a bunch of cars that sound like a xbox 360 go around the track.

Kyosho m3 evo
nt1 ec
tamiya 416we
on the way kyosho mp9 eu
"Real racers..." good lord. I bet you think you have a shot at the trophy girls too. Face it, RC Cars is a bunch of nerds racing toy cars. Just because yours makes a loud engine sound doesn't make you any cooler. Love how some nitro guys pull out the "real racing", "more manly" cards, but then are the first ones to start crying like little girls about fairness when the electrics race with nitros.

Let the lap times do the talking, not the amount of smoke and noise you make...
Old 02-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by portyansky
Wonder if we bottle up that smell and sell it as cologne....
Tried it, just dont use it as aftershave BURNS
Old 02-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Edumakated
"Real racers..." good lord. I bet you think you have a shot at the trophy girls too. Face it, RC Cars is a bunch of nerds racing toy cars. Just because yours makes a loud engine sound doesn't make you any cooler. Love how some nitro guys pull out the "real racing", "more manly" cards, but then are the first ones to start crying like little girls about fairness when the electrics race with nitros.

lmao love it
Old 02-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Tech Addict

i have been playing with nitro for years and i am thinking about converting its just the smartest thing to do
Old 02-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Tech Prophet

il be honest with you though i dont ,think this topic will go away intill every local track has a seprate class of the,,,, 1/8 electic and 1/8 nitro. i have seen a couple of guys with the 1/8 e buggy,,, at my track and they could not drive it it all depends on the driver, if there fast with a 1/8 e....
Old 02-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by HoboShop
Nitro is for real racers it is not for lazy people. Nitro racing is much more realistic you have more things that have to be tuned and tweaked and that have to be set dead-on at the same time. Watching a nitro race is much more fun than watching a bunch of cars that sound like a xbox 360 go around the track.

Kyosho m3 evo
nt1 ec
tamiya 416we
on the way kyosho mp9 eu

Even my cousins try to convince me its also fun to race off road on psp3
they got slash too
Old 02-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

+1 and how many times do the "Real Racers" loose there place to race because the neibors complained about the noise. For me in the 8 or so years I used to be a "Real Racer" I saw at least 3 tracks close due to noise. I would rather race than make so much noise (& smoke) that I have no place to race. In addition most "Real racers" have no place to race in bad weather. I just go inside & race.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by RBMike
+1 and how many times do the "Real Racers" loose there place to race because the neibors complained about the noise. For me in the 8 or so years I used to be a "Real Racer" I saw at least 3 tracks close due to noise. I would rather race than make so much noise that I have no place to race. In addition most "Real racers" have no place to race in bad weather. I just go inside & race.

boy that sucks that three tracks closed cause of the noise, im guessing them 3 tracks where in a resdental area. im lucky that the track, i go to isnt around a neighberhood area. its around a warehouse open land area.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To build a E-buggy starts off far more expensive. I recently priced a Losi out and we were looking at probably close to $1800 when said and done. Definitely more than a nitro buggy.

According to the guys at my local track which has a VERY large 1/8 electric class (Nitro was banned for a while due to neighbor complaints), the batteries cost around $250 (for a good one) and can go bad as quickly as in 3 months. Not to mention speed controls failing, etc.

I think I might build one eventually, but I just can't see going all electric with all my vehicles. The run time thing is a killer to me. And it isn't like I could afford to buy 3 $250 batteries and keep swapping them to keep running while one charges.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The guys I see complain are usually not complaining about the fairness, but of the run time...

Usually at our track when there isn't enough electrics to make a heat they are mixed with the lowest class, cutting their main times. They split the classes up in the points so I don't see why they complain.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RBMike
+1 and how many times do the "Real Racers" loose there place to race because the neibors complained about the noise. For me in the 8 or so years I used to be a "Real Racer" I saw at least 3 tracks close due to noise. I would rather race than make so much noise (& smoke) that I have no place to race. In addition most "Real racers" have no place to race in bad weather. I just go inside & race.
Nor-cal Hobbies is about to start racing nitro again and there is an indoor track in Antioch that has indoor nitro.

What tracks have closed around here recently?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I love Nitro racing because the mains are longer. Most a-mains I have done recently have been 30 min. For me, a long race (30min or longer) and pit stop strategy is the only type of racing that interest me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.