Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro vs Electric

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grimlock212
To build a E-buggy starts off far more expensive. I recently priced a Losi out and we were looking at probably close to $1800 when said and done. Definitely more than a nitro buggy.

According to the guys at my local track which has a VERY large 1/8 electric class (Nitro was banned for a while due to neighbor complaints), the batteries cost around $250 (for a good one) and can go bad as quickly as in 3 months. Not to mention speed controls failing, etc.

I think I might build one eventually, but I just can't see going all electric with all my vehicles. The run time thing is a killer to me. And it isn't like I could afford to buy 3 $250 batteries and keep swapping them to keep running while one charges.
Batteries cost $60 a piece. They used to cost a lot but not anymore. NO ONE pays that much any more unless you are a sucker for MaxAmps.

www.hobbycity.com
Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Batteries cost $60 a piece. They used to cost a lot but not anymore. NO ONE pays that much any more unless you are a sucker for MaxAmps.

www.hobbycity.com
Hey I am just telling you what the competitive racers at my local track told me. You could be totally right. They told me a "racer pack" was around $250.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Hey I am just telling you what the competitive racers at my local track told me. You could be totally right. They told me a "racer pack" was around $250.

That's because they bought into the whole ROAR 4cell rule. Roar approved 4 cell packs are artifically inflated in price. There are many cheaper ways to go that actually work better anyway (5S & 6S packs with lower mAh and lower RPM motors).
Old 02-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Oh geez. Another one of these threads.

I'm nitro all the way. Electric makes the hobby boring from my point of view. When we run electric mains the sidelines are mostly vacant. Boring!!!! All except Slash.

There are MANY reason to run electric over nitro but nitro still accounts for %95 or more of the hobby. Why is that? Something manufacturs know that we don't? Nope.

Someone will take this comment the wrong way but I feel that nitro is for the older crowd. I'm sure the hobby started off with a bunch of old guys but now you see 14 year olds with nitro trucks. I'm not going to give the trigger to my 6T an 8 year old. I drove a buddies E buggy(AE) at the track one day and it brought back memories of when I got my first radio control car for Christmas. My parents even bought batteries so I could drive it right away.

That thing was a rocket down the straight!!!!

Anyway.

If I'm going to spend large amounts of money I want something that doesn't appear, at first look, to be bought from walmart or radioshack.

Who would buy a Ferrari if it looked and sounded like a Honda Civic?

Electric has come a long way but it won't take over nitro anytime soon. I don't care how much runtime they have.
It's preference. That's it.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RBMike
That's because they bought into the whole ROAR 4cell rule. Roar approved 4 cell packs are artifically inflated in price. There are many cheaper ways to go that actually work better anyway (5S & 6S packs with lower mAh and lower RPM motors).
You would know better than I would. I don't understand any of that battery speak. BTW, where do you race locally? You only live a few miles from me.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Franchise

You mean a Prius.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Nor-cal Hobbies is about to start racing nitro again and there is an indoor track in Antioch that has indoor nitro.

What tracks have closed around here recently?
Hobby world had 2 tracks closed due to noise (one @ Miller & Bolanger and one in Gilroy). Andys RC-Unlimited track never really got off the ground for racing (I think we raced 2 times) but we practiced at that track for 2 summers before the neibors complained & the city (or county) came out & made him take down the best drivers stand ever (no permit). I go to Delta alot in the winter for the indoor but even with only a roof it can get real smoky in there with nitros. Some times you have to walk out into the fair grounds to get some O2 in your lungs. Norcal will have a limited number of nitro offroad races (until the neibors start complain). I race there regularly (electric).
Old 02-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
"Real racers..." good lord. I bet you think you have a shot at the trophy girls too.
Nominated for Quote of the year..

I run both Nitro & Electric Losi 8's
Both have pros & cons on total cost.
What I love is that I can race all year.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Franchise
Oh geez. Another one of these threads.

I'm nitro all the way. Electric makes the hobby boring from my point of view. When we run electric mains the sidelines are mostly vacant. Boring!!!! All except Slash.

There are MANY reason to run electric over nitro but nitro still accounts for %95 or more of the hobby. Why is that? Something manufacturs know that we don't? Nope.

Someone will take this comment the wrong way but I feel that nitro is for the older crowd. I'm sure the hobby started off with a bunch of old guys but now you see 14 year olds with nitro trucks. I'm not going to give the trigger to my 6T an 8 year old. I drove a buddies E buggy(AE) at the track one day and it brought back memories of when I got my first radio control car for Christmas. My parents even bought batteries so I could drive it right away.

well im 25 and race nitro now and i did do ,nothing but electric offroad. but once i got a nitro dont want to do go back ,but i do race slash also though too.

That thing was a rocket down the straight!!!!

Anyway.

If I'm going to spend large amounts of money I want something that doesn't appear, at first look, to be bought from walmart or radioshack.

Electric has come a long way but it won't take over nitro anytime soon. I don't care how much runtime they have.
It's preference. That's it.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by RBMike
Hobby world had 2 tracks closed due to noise (one @ Miller & Bolanger and one in Gilroy). Andys RC-Unlimited track never really got off the ground for racing (I think we raced 2 times) but we practiced at that track for 2 summers before the neibors complained & the city (or county) came out & made him take down the best drivers stand ever (no permit). I go to Delta alot in the winter for the indoor but even with only a roof it can get real smoky in there with nitros. Some times you have to walk out into the fair grounds to get some O2 in your lungs. Norcal will have a limited number of nitro offroad races (until the neibors start complain). I race there regularly (electric).

yea im guessing the people in the neighborhood that are complaining are the old geezers . they act like a nitro engine is as loud, as a dam dirt bike or something or a 1/5 scale lol. its just stupid let people have fun .
Old 02-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tc5 man
yea im guessing the people in the neighborhood that are complaining are the old geezers . they act like a nitro engine is as loud, as a dam dirt bike or something or a 1/5 scale lol. its just stupid let people have fun .
Damn kids, stay off my lawn! <shakes fists>

Actually I think the reason is in this are people spend a ton of money to buy a home and want it quiet. A cheap home around the Bay Area is probably a quarter of a million dollars. It is crazy expensive out here. And most of these tracks are pretty close to homes.

I know the Nor-Cal Hobbies track is a few blocks from a school and homes.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Damn kids, stay off my lawn! <shakes fists>

Actually I think the reason is in this are people spend a ton of money to buy a home and want it quiet. A cheap home around the Bay Area is probably a quarter of a million dollars. It is crazy expensive out here. And most of these tracks are pretty close to homes.

I know the Nor-Cal Hobbies track is a few blocks from a school and homes.

yea i can understand that point but i, mean its not like theres racing the whole week outside right? just during the weekend ,and most people are partying or whatever lol. the tracks i been to in pa and nj ,are out on a land with no neighboorhoods so im lucky. and the tracks, arent that far ethier.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

Wow owow wow i just hrd ohh i dont like electric becouse it looks like it is fromm radio shack and has a battery radio shack my asss i got my slash hauling at 50. I love nitro as much as the next guy buy face it stop living in the past electric is better then nitro i know its not going to overrun nitro but it is so much easir i am not lazy but tuning clutch springs gas ect. I am going to switch my nitro buggy to electic but i will get a gas truggy becouse hay u have to love that nitro exhoust scent. And wen people were saying the non rc cars guys think ntro is coooler but i know i would be more appresd to see a electric car haulalot fster then nitro
Old 02-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I like both but when it comes to 1/8, I'm nitro all the way. Only thing that will get me doing 1/8 electric is if the tracks close to home close and I'm forced to go indoors.

I think the relative newness and ability to run them anywhere is making them popular at the moment. Long term costs on electric is much cheaper if you take care of your equipment.

All boils down to personal preference I think.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by slasher man
Wow owow wow i just hrd ohh i dont like electric becouse it looks like it is fromm radio shack and has a battery radio shack my asss i got my slash hauling at 50. I love nitro as much as the next guy buy face it stop living in the past electric is better then nitro i know its not going to overrun nitro but it is so much easir i am not lazy but tuning clutch springs gas ect. I am going to switch my nitro buggy to electic but i will get a gas truggy becouse hay u have to love that nitro exhoust scent. And wen people were saying the non rc cars guys think ntro is coooler but i know i would be more appresd to see a electric car haulalot fster then nitro

a electric might be faster thats if you, can drive it on the track though . with the instant torque which i hate . i have a brushless motor on ,my rc18 and to be honest i dont like the, feel of it but thats just me.

the loudest electric i race is a slash lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.