Search
Like Tree1Likes

NEW AGAMA A8 BUGGGY

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
Agreed, i havent used 6 bottle of oil since I've ran this car

I just re-used my shock oil when I was testing setups, I'd try something different, run a tank, then change again and just pour the oil back into the bottle. I tried pretty much everything from 1.2-1.5 pistons and from 20-50 wt oils. Now I know what works and what doesn't. The best I could find so far is what I'm running now, 1.3x 8 hole front and rear, 32 1/2-40 wt in the front, 27 1/2- 35 wt rear, depending on temperature and track conditions.

I am going to test some different spring combo's this weekend as well as some different pistons. It could always be better!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

yup, pretty much the same here, run it for a tank and try another... 8x1.3 30AE front 25AE rear, blue rear springs and red fronts.... I've tried a few other combinations but always come back to this setup, shocks on my car are pretty much dialed. Diffs i still mess with depending on the surface, but thats about it.

Try those front kickup changes this weekend, I think you'll like them as much as the rear link
Old 09-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Levi_Jackson
I just re-used my shock oil when I was testing setups, I'd try something different, run a tank, then change again and just pour the oil back into the bottle. I tried pretty much everything from 1.2-1.5 pistons and from 20-50 wt oils. Now I know what works and what doesn't. The best I could find so far is what I'm running now, 1.3x 8 hole front and rear, 32 1/2-40 wt in the front, 27 1/2- 35 wt rear, depending on temperature and track conditions.

I am going to test some different spring combo's this weekend as well as some different pistons. It could always be better!
Me too, just poured the oil back in the bottle. I could tell if it was too light or thick on the bench. Then even on the track I poured it back in the bottle because it was still clear after several tanks on the track.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Levi_Jackson

Qando but the track is full of holes six softer or harder than oil?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

whats the best diff shock setup to start with will be running on large dirt track?
Thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jimbo-t
whats the best diff shock setup to start with will be running on large dirt track?
Thanks
1.3mm x 8 all around. 35-40w oil up front, 20-27.5 oil in the rear.
Diff 7,7,4 or 5,5,5

I'm running the stock springs up front and ofna yellow in the rear for now.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Tech Adept

Also can someone post a photo of a drilled 8x1.3 piston...I haven't done it so far, and it should be good to see the final result....

thanks

And only closed cell foam work in the shock caps?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jimbo-t
Thanks
8x1.3 is pretty much std now.... F oil 30-40, R oil 25-35 depending on your temps... lately its been in the 70s here so I've been running 30F/25R stock greys or Agama red up front and Agama blue in the rear. I think kyosho blues are close for the rear until the Agama springs come out in a couple weeks.

Diffs - I usually run 5/7/3 or 7/7/4 depending on how much steering I need.

Originally Posted by vagnik
Also can someone post a photo of a drilled 8x1.3 piston...I haven't done it so far, and it should be good to see the final result....

thanks

I cut up some old school tire foams (I think they were panther greys), the foam is there to support the bladder, so harder foam = more rebound, you can experiment
Old 09-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vagnik

thanks

You can also use Odonnel ODOC2703 pistons, they are 17mm 8x1.3 and about $1.79/pr.

if you cant find them let me know, I have a bunch
Old 09-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I started building my 'Gama last nite, been 12 months since I've worked on a car, and wow - the diffs we pretty easy to build. I love the way the ring gear sits nice and snug over the diff case, no sliding around etc, so the gaskets all line up nice, and don't move around.

I've gone 5 5 3 for now, will test that out.

Tonight I will move on the shocks - but I have just two questions :

1) are the standard 6 hole pistons ok, or should I order something different?
I know my LHS stocks Hyper 9 parts, so they should have some 17mm jobs.

2) Will the standard included oil and springs be ok, or should I change them out too? I usually run 1/2 rebound in my shocks, so I will stick to that.

All in , very nice
Old 09-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Marz
I started building my 'Gama last nite, been 12 months since I've worked on a car, and wow - the diffs we pretty easy to build. I love the way the ring gear sits nice and snug over the diff case, no sliding around etc, so the gaskets all line up nice, and don't move around.

I've gone 5 5 3 for now, will test that out.

Tonight I will move on the shocks - but I have just two questions :

1) are the standard 6 hole pistons ok, or should I order something different?
I know my LHS stocks Hyper 9 parts, so they should have some 17mm jobs.

2) Will the standard included oil and springs be ok, or should I change them out too? I usually run 1/2 rebound in my shocks, so I will stick to that.

All in , very nice
Hey Marz good to hear you have started the build it's getting lonley on the track being the only agama, as for shock pistons i belive on grass the 6 hole is the best i found that with the hobao and the agama shocks to me feel very much the same but on clay the 8 holes will be the way to go i feel... 5/5/3 to me is a good all round way to started i've gone 5/7/3 for the next grass meet as i want to get a bit more drive on the rear.... Was just wondering Gene if you could put a pic up of the shock cap mod so i can get a better idea of it thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Tech Champion

I'm not Gene but the mod is very easy to do...

drill the cap with 1-2mm bit (I used 3mm because thats the smallest I had) but it doesnt really matter as long as a small amount of air can move in and out. And I use pieces of foam from spare tire inserts lying around.

pics attached:
Attached Thumbnails NEW AGAMA A8 BUGGGY-p1010119.jpg   NEW AGAMA A8 BUGGGY-p1010121.jpg  
Old 09-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

By closed cell - is that like the PL inserts, or are they too firm?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

.5 installed up in the antisquat.... breeze to drive in the rough stuff

I'll post a sheet when I unload everything
Hey Tony, your latest setup sheet shows 0 and .5 out in the rear as opposed to what you mentioned above, which would be the correct one to copy your setup?

thanks for your input!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Tech Addict

I'm not Gene but the mod is very easy to do...

drill the cap with 1-2mm bit (I used 3mm because thats the smallest I had) but it doesnt really matter as long as a small amount of air can move in and out. And I use pieces of foam from spare tire inserts lying around.

pics attached:
Thanks Tony was just wondering if thwe losi compensators would work in stead of the foam?????? (as i can get my hands on sum and not the best at cutting things out lol)

So should be fine if i use a 1.5mm drill bit????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.