Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Truggy Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

it's really funny how all these people doing all the arguing are the one's driving these $2k+ machine's! trying to justify your purchase's a lil'?

i would rather spend my change on NITRO and practice lap's and take the satisfaction of passing you with my lowly CEN or TT that i picked up used for cheap! and have a few vehicle's instead of one to beat you with! and still have change left over

i bought 2 FRE's and 2 st-1's for less than $1k total! i think that's pretty good? keep in mind i'm no mike truhe or jamminkrazy but i still have my fun!

MAXIMO the FRE come's with all the hop-up' so what are you talkin' about? must be reffering to the RTR? why would you buy the RTR when you can get the FRE's for so cheap now?
Old 04-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

the CEN Matrix TR Factory Team truck does NOT come with the machined steering knuckles. Thats a $70 upgrade last time I checked.

As for durability, on my RC8T conversion using the RC Monster setup, I had issues with breaking the plastic ends on the chassis braces. I had to upgrade to Kings headz braces. My RC8T also came already with the king Headz steering knuckles. Other than that, its been great. I haven't had any other breakage issues but have seen some.

very curious about the zcars. remember they were selling for like $199 a few times. if the truggies do that, I could be very interested i doing 2 of them.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by madmaxx
it's really funny how all these people doing all the arguing are the one's driving these $2k+ machine's! trying to justify your purchase's a lil'?

i would rather spend my change on NITRO and practice lap's and take the satisfaction of passing you with my lowly CEN or TT that i picked up used for cheap! and have a few vehicle's instead of one to beat you with! and still have change left over

i bought 2 FRE's and 2 st-1's for less than $1k total! i think that's pretty good? keep in mind i'm no mike truhe or jamminkrazy but i still have my fun!

MAXIMO the FRE come's with all the hop-up' so what are you talkin' about? must be reffering to the RTR? why would you buy the RTR when you can get the FRE's for so cheap now?
Well some people are competitive and some do it for fun... and if your doing it for fun then go ahead and buy cheap equipment
Old 04-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ok so you have 4 truggies. How is that helpful? You can only drive one at a time. I guess I can understand having 2 truggies that are the same brand for parts, but why do you need 4? I personally would much rather have 1 awesome truck than 4 crappy trucks.

As for spending 2 grand on my truggy, you are sadly mistaken. The kit cost me $650. I probably have about $200 in upgrades on it. That is $850, well under 1 grand, not even close to 2 grand. I don't really think you can consider running gear and tires to be part of the truck's cost, because you need that stuff for any truck, including your POS cen.

Point is technology has come a LOOOONG way since those CEN's and TTR's came out. Even at the time they came out they weren't top of the line. Now they are nowhere near the newer technology. They are nowhere near the last generation of technology either. If you can be competitive with one of them, more power to you, but you simply can't compete in serious racing with one of those trucks. I know they can't compete at my local track, where everyone runs 8T 2.0's and STRR's and 8T 1.0's and MBX5T's, not to even mention at big events like proseries races, etc...
Old 04-30-2009, 08:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

First off, this is NOT an argument, I dont know wh you would even say that, it's a debate you are trying to justify the fact that buying a CEN is saving you $. If you want to run CEN, awesome...have a ball. But dont go stirring drama with others because they dont agree with your suggestions. I would rather dump 2k into something that's current and works for me as opposed to trying to beat a dead horse every time I went to the track, dragging all my issues with me of course.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
no, but you are trying to justify the fact that buying a CEN is saving you $. If you want to run CEN, awesome...have a ball. But dont go throwing stonesa at others because they dont agree with your suggestions. I would rather dump 2k into something that's current and works for me as opposed to trying to beat a dead horse every time I went to the track, dragging all my issues with me of course.
thats what i've been trying to say, but ppl have some thick ass heads that they cant get it through
Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The biggest lesson learned in this hobby is buy it right the first time. Trying to do it on the cheap never ever works out.

Cheap, Fast, and Durable. You can pick two...
Old 04-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Edumakated
The biggest lesson learned in this hobby is buy it right the first time. Trying to do it on the cheap never ever works out.

Cheap, Fast, and Durable. You can pick two...
Absolutely agree. I learned the hard way.... will NEVER do that again.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Absolutely agree. I learned the hard way.... will NEVER do that again.
I think a lot of us learned the hard way thats why we are trying to help people learn from or mistakes
Old 04-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by race raider
I think a lot of us learned the hard way thats why we are trying to help people learn from or mistakes
EXACTLY!!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Well in that case you better get the losi 2.0.
Ok what I posted earlier was posted out of expereince. I have either owned or beat the crap out em.............. these are opinions guys.

now Im a Losi Man, I have had the 8t 1.0 and 2.0 - I went through one servo and NEVER broken a part since the 1.0 came out....... I have replace worn parts, I do have the RC8T and have broken a many of parts, hell one of you prob brought of of ebay for 150 bucks when i sold it.........

Some one mentioned AE truggys on the podium lately - yes your right, but if you give them a truck from any manufactor - those guys have a good shot a the podium.

Hot Bodies - I stand by my word - novice truck

Now you have to remember when buying a truck - driving style plays a big part of the trucks duriblity and strength.

Now my offical recommendation - there is nothing better on the market right now than - - - - - - LOSI 2.0 Truggy - thing is dialed!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

RC8T- Team Associated made a good truggy, their problem is tha they entered the game late. While Losi, Mugen, Hot Bodies, Xray, Jammin were working on making a new truggy Associated just made one to begin with. It handles good and the steering feel takes some getting used to. It's Associated they have their unique feel. Is it weak? If you drive full throttle into pipes and solid objects it will break, but I do feel that other truggys can take a bigger hit than the AE and not break.

Hyper ST- It was made just so Hobao could have a truggy. It's heavy and would be difficult to race with. Maybe they will come out with a new truggy based of the Hyper 9. Should be good.

Xray XT8 2009- I will dare to say it's a Losi done Xray style. Haven't driven so no real comment.

Hot Bodies D8T- It looks fast and if it is set up right should be able to be easy to drive and fast around corners. Big bores and the long (112mm) rear shocks will make it go threw bumps well and its light wheight will allow it to jump well. Parts quality could be better. The solid arms makes it look cheap.

Team Losi 8ight T 2.0- It's a truggy that turns and flies like a buggy, but goes through the rough like a truggy. Need I say more?

Mugen MBX6T- Doesn't even exist yet. I It's like the buggy I will be the truggy to give the losi a run for its money.

Jammin X2CRT- Jammin did improve on their original, but it's not the best through the rough. I turns well and jumps well, just seems to get tripped up in the rough sections of track where you would expect a truggy to do really well.

Do you see any biased information?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
hype?
dude, I owned a rc8t, it had the battery mod and steering mod..I did'nt like it, it's that simple.....it didnt fit my driving style.............the Losi is dialed, I dont care what anyone else runs or likes or says......it's all about what I like and what feels better to me and what im faster/more consistent with.......the Losi won hands down for ME
My original post was just to do what I feel I suceeded to do, Start A more heated debate than read through a thread full of nothing but Losi.Me and my buddy laughed our a$$es off as I typed the post. IMHO the Losi's are awsome machines. I dont think anything looks as poised on the track, I tell my racing buddy that everytime we race. I own a RC8T, but I honestly feel it doesn't fit my driving style either. Seriously I think I am going to try the new Mugen MBX6T. Drove one of the fast guys in my area 5T and loved it.Best advice I would give anyone wanting to jump into the truggy arena is try and find someone at your track with a particular truck and ask to take it for a spin. U can usually find several diffrent trucks at any given track, and racers tend to be very generous especially when they have a possible band-wagoner LOL. If anyone is looking for a nice fully equiped RC8t give me a shout...

Last edited by trimble; 04-30-2009 at 01:38 PM.