Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
how much gap between brake disk and pad??? >

how much gap between brake disk and pad???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how much gap between brake disk and pad???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default how much gap between brake disk and pad???

this part is hard for me to get right because for good braking it seems i have to have the pads so close it almost brakes while the car is idoling and when i throtle the brakes let off??? it i put them to lose they dont brake at all. but i am concerned if this is right. I have them close but does that create drag on the engine??? I honestly don''t know if i am doing it right and want to get it right. How much separation is ok on pad/disk??? i have mine as close as possible. Is this right.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Just an easy way to do it is push the pad towards the diff and make shure that there is no more than 1mm of screw showing. Really you want alittle less than that, you dont want to tune your brakes from there you want to tune them from the linkage. Just make shure they spin freely and are even and not too loose like I said.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
this part is hard for me to get right because for good braking it seems i have to have the pads so close it almost brakes while the car is idoling and when i throtle the brakes let off??? it i put them to lose they dont brake at all. but i am concerned if this is right. I have them close but does that create drag on the engine??? I honestly don''t know if i am doing it right and want to get it right. How much separation is ok on pad/disk??? i have mine as close as possible. Is this right.
on a losi its the thickness of a washer, like .005" or somthing. if your not used to it and racing you might have more control w/more drag
Old 04-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

thanx. will do. if i get the pads right it will be much eisier with the linkage.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8&stuff
on a losi its the thickness of a washer, like .005" or somthing. if your not used to it and racing you might have more control w/more drag
its a washer but not .005", its .020".

Losi has 2 washers, the gold ball stud and then a wide gray one used for adjusting anti squat on their electric cars, the golds are .030" and the grays are .020". I use these as a starting point and go from there if necessary.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

I use the back side of an xacto blade, it's easier than trying to stick a washer in there.