Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Smart Diff

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by damo666
Well i think i am going to sell both mine as they just dont work how i want them too. I put the center in and all i get is the front tires ballooning. A friend of mine was at the NEO this weekend and asked the losi drivers about the problem im having and guess what they said "throw them in the trash as they are C**p".I race in the UK on high grip tracks and i dont know whether thats the problem or not but surely front tyres balloning to the point of them coming off the rims is not what it should be doing.
sounds like you have something going on. In the states most of the top guys use them in the center only with only 2 .15 springs and packed full of the grease with good luck. How is yours setup? have you tried to tune them or simply just installed them? I think if you are on astro turf or traction that high you would want a regular diff.

I am a fairly new racer but I hate to hear when a so called driver speaks of a product in that manner. However, if they said that I would question everything about them. That's not very proffesional so how would they expect anyone to validate what they say.

I highly doubt our guys in the USA would say things like that.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just got mine and took it apart and repacked it. I had to pull everything apart and made sure to put grease into all of the open spots and put the diff back together. Funny thing was when I put the diff back together the top plate was pushing its way up, unlike taking it apart. Hopefully everything is right and I can fire up my new 21-5k tomorrow and break it in.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jammin_Xtream49
I just got mine and took it apart and repacked it. I had to pull everything apart and made sure to put grease into all of the open spots and put the diff back together. Funny thing was when I put the diff back together the top plate was pushing its way up, unlike taking it apart. Hopefully everything is right and I can fire up my new 21-5k tomorrow and break it in.

Yeah, it's finicky about that. I'm worried you put it together and it's not lined up. I always have to mess with my springs to get it to drop down.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:58 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by warpig
Yeah, it's finicky about that. I'm worried you put it together and it's not lined up. I always have to mess with my springs to get it to drop down.

X2...the first time i played with one...Oh my... those spring's are a pain in the you know what.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

pain in the wahoozy!
Old 04-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Tech Adept

I just took the cover off to check the grease and my springs got out of wack. I used a small pick to line them back up.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc-mike
I just took the cover off to check the grease and my springs got out of wack. I used a small pick to line them back up.
+1 what I do
Old 04-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jammin_Xtream49

Better be carefull if it is not put together right the top plate will push up and the diff will not seal and all the grease will sling out. Double check and make sure your ramp plates are correct.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

Well I just took it outside and broke in new bearings and pinch on my 21-5k and got to test out this smart diff on pavement. I went back through rebuilding it and built the center section out of the diff and eased it into the case with two L picks so the springs are in there right. Then packed it full of grease and put 3k in the rear. On pavement it seems to be working the way it should, you punch it the car plants the power and squats right down and off it goes. As soon as you let off the throttle and turn, thing turns a 180 like it was nothing. I can see how it plants the power so hard that it does squat quite a bit. It does look like the front is diffing out, but it is planting the power to the ground. I think this setup is the .... well you know.

David

Last edited by Jammin_Xtream49; 04-18-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

so i just tried out the SD's (front & rear) in my 8 1.0 in the driveway today they were prety good but i noticed a few things it tended to push alittle into the corners and the rear tended to slide out as i accelerated out of the corner. so if im correct i should take out 2 .15 springs in the center and put 3k in the rear diff? i also saw a very slight amout of front tire ballooning
Old 04-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by dodgeboy93
so i just tried out the SD's (front & rear) in my 8 1.0 in the driveway today they were prety good but i noticed a few things it tended to push alittle into the corners and the rear tended to slide out as i accelerated out of the corner. so if im correct i should take out 2 .15 springs in the center and put 3k in the rear diff? i also saw a very slight amout of front tire ballooning

you need to test in track conditions imo....on the pavement will tell you Nothing.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

it was a dirt driveway dry and very dusty (loose gravel) simular to a loose track but i'll be running on a grey clay track near blue groove conditions what might you guys suggest!??
Old 04-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by dodgeboy93
it was a dirt driveway dry and very dusty (loose gravel) simular to a loose track but i'll be running on a grey clay track near blue groove conditions what might you guys suggest!??

No clue....im a new SD owner myself....but i would defiantly think that testing on the racing surface would be the only to really test and tune to see if the diff is doing what you want it to.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Adept

What I can see on the smart diff is that the car works great with the stock setup after rebuilding it, but you need to drive it like a electric 4wd car. I drove the XXX4 in the off season and the key to get it hooked up is to let off earlier and get people out of the corners. The advantage of this diff is that it completely locks the diff in a straight line. The one thing that will kill this setup is to punch the power at the wrong time in the corner, forcing it to lock up. To me this is one of the best setups for my car, but probably not for everyone.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

I have a problem with my 2.0. When innstalling SD in center, it was very loose in the rear, coming out of corners. I had to be extremly gentle with the throttle.

Will 3k oil in rear diff give me more tracktion coming out of turn on power?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.