Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Smart Diff

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

Bump,

Yup, I think the Fioroni's are Torsens to. They have the same worm gear seup.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

No worm gears. Ramp plates that cause lock on the Fioronis.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Bump,

Yup, I think the Fioroni's are Torsens to. They have the same worm gear seup.
The old Fioroni's were true torsens with worm gears but Fioroni does make locking diff similar to the smart diff & the BBF's. As you can see in the above post.

BBF's: http://www.bbfmodels.com/Tactyl/Light2.jpg
Old 02-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Champion

Right, thats similar to active/smart/tactyl diffs.

How hard do these diffs lock? There isn't any teeth locking the diff. Just looks like two surfaces getting squeezed together slowing diff action with friction. More of a LSD than a true locker. (Lockers generally have teeth on the plates so as long as they're powered they have no diff action)

If its like light grease to being like 10,000wt silicone in reg diff. That would be pretty impressive.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Adept

That diff does look just like the Losi. Didnt know they made that one.

The Losi one doesnt "Lock" but acts like a limited slip. It will eventually slip.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The old Fioroni's mentioned a few posts ago were called Storm Traction, and had worm gears. These diffs are actually still available, although not for the new crop of cars. Before that were the Hyper Traction and before that the Japan traction, dating back to over 10 years ago.

The current Tractive IV diffs also mentioned a few posts ago, were first prototyped and began testing several years ago (I posted this info on another thread a few weeks ago) by such drivers as Mark Pavidis, Jeremy Kortz (when he ran Kyosho), and Chad Bradley (when he ran Mugen). For several reasons which I won't get into now, Fioroni did not begin production of these diffs until a little over a year ago. The BBF diffs are made by Fioroni. Much like the opinions being posted on this thread, racers who use the Fioroni diffs report that the car has increased steering response and improved punch. A side effect is also improved tire wear.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Garen- Fioroni told me x2 diffs will be available late March. Do you really have to take those apart every race weekend? What happens if you did them every gallon?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but to answer your question...how often do you clean and maintain your car? How often do you change the shock oil or the shock bladders? I suppose you could run them 2 weekend or 3 weekends, but if you take the time to maintain your car anyway, a couple of more screws and some grease is good preventative measure. I used one in my DM1S (OFNA rally car, uses Jammin diffs) and it went untouched for 2 weekends of racing, each one a 3 day event, which I estimate at least 3 or 4 hours of actual running.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Actually for off road you don't want the diff to completely lock. That was the problem with the Torsen diffs and to a lesser degree the Kyosho LCD diff. They locked up too much and adversely impacted the handling (causing inconsistant handling). The beauty of the new generation of diffs (XRAY, Fioroni Traction and the Smart diffs) is that they have a much smoother action and don't completely lock up. Like having 2K and 7K diff fluid and being able to select between the two depending on what you need, very cool. Diffs that lock up are ok for on road and crawling but not so good for off road.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:06 AM
am
Tech Master

There is some wrong info on the Fioroni and BBf diffs here.

Fioroni do not make the BBF limited slip diffs. BBf do that. They have been aroaund for many years.

Fioroni did not produce the Tracktive before now because they did not get the nessesary length between when you had to take it appart to regrease it.

Fioroni is moast known for the Japan and Hyper traction Torsen diffs with worm gears. They were also adjustable, you could change out the wormgears if you bought different gearsets.

Nuova Faor from Italy also made torsen diffs.

BBF is the sole maker of the BBF, they are adjustable but only with different ramps. Thay are VERY GOOD, i have been using them in the CRONO since 2005. You need to regrease them evry other race. They hold up even longer but they actually have hold up for three racing seassons. Evry 4th race i have changed the pin in the outdrive to be shure.

I have very high expectations from the smart diff. You can adjust both of power nad on power traction.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Questions?? Re-grease

How long should you go between re-greasing the Losi smart diff??
Old 02-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
How long should you go between re-greasing the Losi smart diff??
every gallon of fuel regrease the diff. other than that, run the snot out of them!
Old 02-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i just ran my buggy 2.0 with only the center smart diff. It just accelerates like crazy. it's even more punchy!! i asked one of the team drivers they recommended to take out 2 springs out of the four in the diff. but you have to take the springs that are diagonal from each other. this will make it drive easier. so ill try it tommorrow and see the difference.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Initiate

I just ran my 1.0 with both smart diffs in it. Did not actually believe it would help much.WOW! Car makes me look a lot better. Hard for me to break traction with front end now. Now i am having to learn not to run over the pipes on insides of turns. Best $100 I have ever spent
Old 02-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roughrider
I just ran my 1.0 with both smart diffs in it. Did not actually believe it would help much.WOW! Car makes me look a lot better. Hard for me to break traction with front end now. Now i am having to learn not to run over the pipes on insides of turns. Best $100 I have ever spent
Where did you find them for 100 bucks for both?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.