Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Smart Diff

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc-mike
What all did you have to replace to rebuild it? I am new to cars so I am still learning on the maintenance thing.
After one gal everything looked fine so I just cleaned the gears and repacked with smart diff grease. I was told to look at the point where the gears ride on the round collar and look for grooves or wear marks, then its time to replace the plates if they are wore and the spider gears is they are wore on the collars. Mine looked like brand new after a gallon and I just performed diff maintenance just as I would if they were filled with silicone.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Adept

Ah, okay good. I was hoping I didn't have to replace the internals every gallon.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:34 AM
Tech Lord

Default Maintence

I pulled the center smart diff out last night at about a 1/2 gal and it looked fine after repacking it with grease. I went with the pack it full method and the extra grease seems to have oozed out very slowly around the drive cups. But the grease inside looked perfect. Next time I will put a little bit less grease in the diff, just fill up the center like this thread says. Otherwise very happy with the smart diffs.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
I pulled the center smart diff out last night at about a 1/2 gal and it looked fine after repacking it with grease. I went with the pack it full method and the extra grease seems to have oozed out very slowly around the drive cups. But the grease inside looked perfect. Next time I will put a little bit less grease in the diff, just fill up the center like this thread says. Otherwise very happy with the smart diffs.
what set-up you running ? 2 .15's ? or 4 ?
Old 04-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Integra
what set-up you running ? 2 .15's ? or 4 ?
In the center 2 .15 and 2 .20. In the front 4 .15
Old 04-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

aaron buran: where are u racing at in akron. i'll be in akron this weekend and looking for a place to race. if anyone else would know please chime in.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is it possible to shim the ramp plate closer so when i use example:4 20's/25's the on power will still be aggressive? (Ramp plate shimmed closer together = still having quicker contact (aggressive on power)) Anyone tried this?
Old 04-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liquidsky
Is it possible to shim the ramp plate closer so when i use example:4 20's/25's the on power will still be aggressive? (Ramp plate shimmed closer together = still having quicker contact (aggressive on power)) Anyone tried this?
That is a great point! I have been wondering why some people have bad luck with the smart diff and I figured it may have to do with the shimming inside the diff. Mine did not have any inside the diff and some people's diffs do. One guy said his was notchy and drove horrible and I asked if he had shims behind the sun gears and he said yes. So, it makes me wonder if they work better with no shims because mine is very nice to drive. So, as far as shimming the ramp plate I would imagine that would be a great tuning aid.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wvrcracer
aaron buran: where are u racing at in akron. i'll be in akron this weekend and looking for a place to race. if anyone else would know please chime in.
I was in Medina the last 2 weekends.

The first weekend I ran the standard diffs and had decent results. Went back to the track and A/B'd the smart diffs again in practice prior to last Saturday. I went with both the center and the front, and I thought that it improved the car. I stuck with the smart diffs all day last Saturday and the car progressively got harder to drive even after the sun went down and the moisture held in the track for the final. The car was just too loose on and off the power, it was just way too tail happy. I found myself driving the rear of the car around the track, watching in yaw back and forth in all the low speed sections, while at the same time losing forward bite.

I went back today, and ran the car as it was on Saturday, tested some tires and put the diffs back in. While the standard diffs definatley took steering away the car was way more consistent amd driveable. I think I can find other ways to make the car turn better without the smart diffs. It's as if the smart diffs start off good, and then get worse. It really feels like the lube is breaking down? I had less than half a gallon on them.

I might try the center only again, but I hesitate because these things are like a bad drug or something. You put them in your car they feel dialed, you run, your car starts to get inconcistent, you put the standard diffs in again, and you tell yourself never again.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i really liked just the center smart diff in mine, with 2 .15 springs.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Lord

I use the center and front smart diff in my 8T 2.0 and I would not go back to the old style if they paid me. They require a little more meticulous maintenance but its all worth it when I get on the track. I am using 4 .14 in the front and 2 .15 and 2 .20 in the center. Great job Losi.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I thought they worked pretty well although they were in the truck since new. I found the truck getting progressively harder to drive. Tore them apart to grease again and pulled 2 springs out of each diff. This didn't help much as it still balloons the hell out of the inside front tire. Took the front out but it still ballooned the fronts. Then tried it with both stock diffs. Much better on our tracks. My cen. smart diff developed alot of in and out play with the outdrives. I believe it ran pretty hot. Maybe the cen. would be better with the 120 deg. ramps installed. It never would act any better than say 8000 weight in a stock diff. Getting ready to try 15,000 in the stock cen diff. Fits my driving style better. Just wish it had better turn in like its older brother 8t.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Adept

+1
I experienced the same 3 times. When I put the SD in (fresh rebuilt) it was faster but after a little time the car was difficult to drive. Back to the standard diff and it was on rails again... Frustrating because for sure there is a key for consistency.

Originally Posted by aaron_buran
I might try the center only again, but I hesitate because these things are like a bad drug or something. You put them in your car they feel dialed, you run, your car starts to get inconcistent, you put the standard diffs in again, and you tell yourself never again.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

Hey losi guys does anyone know if the parts of the smartdiff will fit in a ofna/jammin diff case?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Lord

I am finding that as long as I maintain my smart diffs every gallon or so they treat me will. My truck is very consistent and I have been doing better at the races. Last year I was good for 5-8th in the A-main and this year seem to be consistently in the top 4. I even had a win and TQ recently. I dont know if it is the truck, diffs or some combo but whatever it it I am not changing it. If it aint broke dont fix it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.