Which fuel is best and why??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which fuel is best and why??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:55 PM
AE

Katjim, VP gets their nitro from a US distributor that also supplies the pharacuetical companies. If you actually do your research you could pin it down to one of two major US manufactures of Nitro. VP has alotted enough nitro for the NHRA so why do you still think that there is no nitro available for model car use? Who is this "big" name motor company that told you this, or was it just hearsay? I'm sure they are also qualified to determine an oil package's merit? I'd double check your facts before you jump to conclusions.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Alan, just running the mbx6 now, good ride. Little quirks here and there from what I read but none on mine so far. Knock on wood. How is the wife and kids?

Most all the fuels are decent, find what you like and run it.

Who are the 2 major manufactures. I work in one of the largest refineries in the US and have talked with people from other refineries. They all said the nitro was not loger made here, but I guess your distributor must be right.

I am sure since you swing on nitrotane nutz it must have offened you, oh well, just realaying what I heard. I am sure you have done elaborate testing to see how said oil packages effect the components. Or are you just assuming that the info Losi got from vp was sufficient after all the R&D I am sure they put into it.

no need to start a pissing war dude, just throwing out some info regaurdless if how inaccurate you may think it is.

Last edited by katjim00; 11-16-2008 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Old 11-16-2008, 08:57 AM
AE

Actually I did the oil package testing. Infact I tested very low percentages of the said oil package with very good results. Usually "relaying" 3rd hand info results in pissing matches. "DA" manufactures the nitro here in the US. I'm sure you can figure that one out w/ a little bit of research.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Regular

No research time to waste, you talking about dow/angus. I thought they quit making nitro here in the states 1 or 2 years ago. Oh well I am sure you are right, the VP nitrotane stuff is the best, no other opinion is valid. Cool.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Maxy Pro Racing Fuel best I have ran! Holds awesome tune through rapid temp drops, Engine runs super cool. And did I mention the best customer service in the business.
http://www.maxysfuel.com/
Old 11-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

you trying to get some free fuel LOL....i met a guy a while back that ran it, prob 5 years ago and it smelled cool. the problem with fuel most of the time is if the LHS carries it, if not you about to pay about $40 for shipping and hazmat
Old 11-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I did a little bit of research and it appears that Angus does still manufacture Nitro. If you read a bit they did stop making Nitro for racing purposes (real car racing) but they specifically stated that they would continue to make it for other purposes. One of the purposes they specifically stated was fuel powered radio controlled vehicles. The other evidence I found supporting the idea they still make nitro is the following:

In Mid Nov 2006 they made the announcement they would stop making the racing fuels but would continue making nitro for other markets.

In Nov 2007 they announced on Jan 1 2008 there would be a 10% price increase on Nitro. Now I would guess if they were raising the price on a product it would be a product they actually sell.

None of this tells us where VP gets there Nitro as I believe they get it from China, but maybe they use Chinese nitro for their dragster fuel and Angus nitro for Losi Nitrotane.

There are a few things I can say about Nitrotane. It burns cleaner than any nitro fuel I have ever seen. Your engine will look new inside. The other thing (kind of unimportant) is that it was not scarce during the summer when others were. They always had fuel. The hobby shop that told that guy it was not available was full of crap.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

i run sidewinders 30%. the tune is pretty consistent. Im happy with it. i run it in my buggy and truggy and my pops runs it in his buggy.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

r1harper
the price on there site includes shipping. I dont see where that is any farther then any of the rest of the guys. The maxy fuel is not made until its ordered so u dont ha e to worry about getting a bad batch. And did i mention that the gal is filled all the way to the top of the container! Not a third of the way down like most. Granted i dont know if there is more then a gal in there but its a mind game i guess. U feel like ur getting ur mo eys worth anyway.If u want ur hobby shop to carry it all they have to do is make the call.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by coldfusionfuel1
WE ship gals and qts!!!!!!!!!!!

Give Cold Fusion a try you wont be disappoinred!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cold Fusion = cooler temps
I am going to give it a try. I have been running byrons Gen 2 and I love it but Vernon (Cold fusion) is a great guy and I can tell has AWESOME customer service and is local to me. Cannot wait to run Cold Fusion.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Scott,when i made the statement earlier about it comeing from china that is what vp had said. i emailed them because i was thinking on trying it knowing that there race gas was chemical and not petroleum based i was thinking they might have an advantage. that is when they told me it was mixed at there main place in texas but they got the nitro from china. that was about a month ago.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

That is very interesting on the email to you from VP. That makes sense though since Dow/Angus said they will not supply nitro for racing.

Scott I did some research and found that too. Thought it was weird myself and I came to the same conclusion on where they get their nitro from. I guess the above posts answers that question though.

The Maxy is supposed to be good stuff, they had it in our area several years ago but the one place that sold it closed down so it went bye bye. I never tried it, but the people that ran it seemed to like it.

Try a fuel and see if you like it and it does what you want. If so stick with it, makes tuning easier when you know a fuels characteristics.