Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$600+ Buggys perform poorly

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jmcn r
The people are discussing the vehicle in question, the "kit" not all of its running gear, which by the way is moot as everybody has their own options as to what they run.

Would you like to factor in the cost of those nifty shorts and Hara primo haircut as well into the equation to take away from the low cost of the buggy itself? Heck, lets just throw in the price of the ticket from Japan, then we have the most expensive buggy out there!
Yeah, but nobody else was ridiculously proposing they were running a box-stock 380-buck buggy.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

He did every thing he could and every thing he should and in the end.....

He did every thing he had to to win.
He was able to make a perfect circle more round.

Congrats to Hara.
Bottom line we will always try to improve any thing we race.

The competition is your wisdom.
We will always strive for an edge no mater what the cost.
Embrace it.

GO FAST AND TRY NOT TO CRASH!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCabcs
Yeah, but nobody else was ridiculously proposing they were running a box-stock 380-buck buggy.
Thats good because neither was I, this and I also did not actually read any commentary from Hara to know what he actually said.

To be honest I guess the attachment to the word "stock" depends on what story argument you are trying to push (and we know most forums like this will always be full of all knowing unknowing people ready to argue ). However, if you are already from a racing background the word stock can be stretched quite far , so this is where alot of the disagreement people are having comes in, they just don't want to be rational with those opinions after .

I know looking at Haras build, that would fall under minor tweakage to me. Options he took to have the machine setup more to his liking for the track, the only thing to me out of those bounds is having a marginally lighter weight chassis. Then you can look at Tessmans car which was reportedly "box stock" to the definition till the final where he changed one piece on the car (not remembering what it was now).

But blah, that is just my reasoning...lol definately not something to slow down the next all wise poster.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmcn r
Would you like to factor in the cost of those nifty shorts and Hara primo haircut as well into the equation to take away from the low cost of the buggy itself? Heck, lets just throw in the price of the ticket from Japan, then we have the most expensive buggy out there!

Fact is, if Ryan Maifield had sported a Hara haircut he wouldn't have flamed out.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:38 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

After closely reviewing the results from the Worlds 2008 race, its quite obvious a couple of the fastest drivers and cars at that race never made the main. This mostly due to certain issues not pertaining to the buggy or driver.

Xray's Josh Wheeler qualified 3rd overall, his tires falling off kept his "over priced buggy" from making the show. I'm sorry the 808 cant be included in this threads negative title "$600.00 buggy performing badly" even if they didn't make the main, as there was only two others faster.

The "cheaper buggy" (you all know what I mean), had to bump up from lower mains. While doing so they picked up more drive time on the track, over and above their competitors helping to better their chances each time. I think thats how the "cheaper buggy" did so well. I do understand it was a team effort, and I don't mean to take away anything from them, they did a great job! But...

I also believe Its the IFMAR format that is flawed. Come on,.. tell me that after 6 rounds of qualifying they cant seat an A-main. They still have to race another main where things like glow plugs and tire malfunctions can take top qualified drivers and manufacturers out. Whats the point of qualifying? It just doesn't make any sense.

...and yes I've driven the D8, it doesn't even compare to the Xray in any way except price, it is $200.00 cheaper.

bla bla bla... I know.

Now about that Kyosho....
Old 09-24-2008, 02:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
After closely reviewing the results from the Worlds 2008 race, its quite obvious a couple of the fastest drivers and cars at that race never made the main. This mostly due to certain issues not pertaining to the buggy or driver.

Xray's Josh Wheeler qualified 3rd overall, his tires falling off kept his "over priced buggy" from making the show. I'm sorry the 808 cant be included in this threads negative title "$600.00 buggy performing badly" even if they didn't make the main, as there was only two others faster.

The "cheaper buggy" (you all know what I mean), had to bump up from lower mains. While doing so they picked up more drive time on the track, over and above their competitors helping to better their chances each time. I think thats how the "cheaper buggy" did so well. I do understand it was a team effort, and I don't mean to take away anything from them, they did a great job! But...

I also believe Its the IFMAR format that is flawed. Come on,.. tell me that after 6 rounds of qualifying they cant seat an A-main. They still have to race another main where things like glow plugs and tire malfunctions can take top qualified drivers and manufacturers out. Whats the point of qualifying? It just doesn't make any sense.

...and yes I've driven the D8, it doesn't even compare to the Xray in any way except price, it is $200.00 cheaper.

bla bla bla... I know.

Now about that Kyosho....
Sounds like a bitter Xray owner
Old 09-24-2008, 04:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarCrazy

:
This statement reminds of an old saying. "Close only counts in horshoes and handgrenades."

I guess if you stats are better than everyone elses i.e. Labraun, Jim kelley, Karl Malone & John Stockton, Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Patrick Ewing, Dominique Wilkins, 07 Patriots and many others who performed better than everyone else stat wise doin the season or the playoffs. You win by default because your stats or times are better. And announcing the New World Champion of stats Xray give them a round of applause everyone.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

I kinda agree with carcrazy in his last paragraph. what is it with IFMAR rules they make you qualify then when you make the top 8/10 you must then go out and race a semifinal.
I guess it proves your worth.

as for the $600 question, Im still gunna crack half a mongrel over my new MBX6 before i do a D8, but thats just me
I definately check it out (D8) when RCSTUNT101 gets one
Old 09-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Tech Addict

IFMAR used to seat the TQ into the A-main and everyone else had to bump in. However this allowed all the bump-in's to have much more track time than the TQ. Hence in this format the TQ never won the event. The year they started making everyone bump into the A-main (2006) Mark Pavidis had TQ and eventually Won the Event.

It's to allow the most equal amount of track time for those in the A-main so that the playing field is a level as possible.

Just look and see that 50% (4 of 8) of the people that bumped to the Semi's from the 1/4's ended up bumping to the A-main. If you reckon that the people who qualified directly into the Semi's should have been a tidge faster than the people in the 1/4's then I would think this number would have been lower. Thus I think the extra track time can and did come in handy for some.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some good points. I have been known to joke when i am in a B final that it's 15 minutes practice for the A. Fact is track time is key.

Whatever way you look at it you can't detract from the guys win... it's all about the end result. In his moment, he shined...
Old 09-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by IanWright
Some good points. I have been known to joke when i am in a B final that it's 15 minutes practice for the A. Fact is track time is key, and Hollywood haircuts is even more key.

Whatever way you look at it you can't detract from the guys win... it's all about the end result. In his moment, he shined...
I fixed it for you since you forgot! LOL
Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

Guys, it wasn't the car.. it was his haircut! Can you imagine the zero-drag his haircut made in a wind tunnel test?! Up on the dirver's stand, I'm sure it made a helluva difference! J/K

Congrats to "Maximum Best" Hara!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by IanWright
Fact is, if Ryan Maifield had sported a Hara haircut he wouldn't have flamed out.

Haha. I really wasn't sure what to think of Hara's haircut.

It makes me feel distant from my own emotions.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by wingracer
To me, Hara winning does not mean 600+ cars are junk, it only means that the D8 is a good car.

The prices of buggies are generally in line with the prices of 1/8th onroad cars despite the fact that buggies have far more machined parts.

One thing to keep in mind about cheaper kits (and I am NOT saying this is the case with the D8, I haven't run one so I wouldn't know), but they are usually cheaper for very good reasons. They have cheaper stamped aluminum parts, cheap bearings, use as many "off the shelf" parts from previous cars as possible and often the steel drivetrain parts are not as hard and wear more quickly. The buggy may still be capable of winning but what you saved on initial cost ends up being spent on upgrades and maintenance.

I often hear people gripe about a new kit not coming with certain types of parts. Go read the MBX6 thread and you will see right after the photo of a team driver's car loaded with titanium turnbuckles, screws and aluminum shock towers are a bunch of complaints about the kit not coming with those parts. If it did the kit would cost 900 bux and those same people would be griping about the price.
That is why the mp9 cost so much because it come with every hop up..
Old 09-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eric_T
That is why the mp9 cost so much because it come with every hop up..
What is "every" hopup? Plastic toe blocks and plastic chassis braces?

If "every" hopup means hex headed screws, big bore shocks, fiber brakes, then most buggies come "fully hopped up" as well.

In fact, the D8 comes with aluminum toe plates, would that mean that is more fully equipped than the Kyosho?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.