Wiki Posts
Search

How much servo 1/8 buggy???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson
OH BOY!!!! your not arguing, but your arging...this is stupid , and ill say this one more time...YOUR FINDINGS IS BEST FOR YOU (and the rest of the world as you say) AND I LIKE MY WAY!!!!!!!! so lets get the heck over it, cause this could go on forever...

so your right and the rest of the others and i that like more torque are wrong...
Your not getting the point . He is trying to tell you the minimum amount of torque that is needed . Not that he is right and you are wrong and vise versa for you . 120 oz is plenty for todays buggies and if you have more and think you need more then more power to you and whoever else . I`ve used 300-400 oz servos and 130 oz servos in my buggies . I actually do better with a 130 oz servo , but to each his own . There is no right or wrong here , he was just explaining the amount that is needed to turn a buggy not that more is wrong . Long as it works for you who cares .
Old 11-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Briguy
Your not getting the point . He is trying to tell you the minimum amount of torque that is needed . Not that he is right and you are wrong and vise versa for you . 120 oz is plenty for todays buggies and if you have more and think you need more then more power to you and whoever else . I`ve used 300-400 oz servos and 130 oz servos in my buggies . I actually do better with a 130 oz servo , but to each his own . There is no right or wrong here , he was just explaining the amount that is needed to turn a buggy not that more is wrong . Long as it works for you who cares .
Here is what I have observed in my Losi LST truck ( I already sold it ). With single 13kg servo, the steering movement is super way too slow and it doesn't reach maximum steering. With double 13kg servo, the steering movement is still slow, but it can reach maximum steering. However, it doesn't reach my satisfaction level. With double 24kg servo, then suddenly the steering become quick and acceptable to my taste.

I test the steering movement on the floor.

Btw, even in my buggy, more torque means more holding power while turning on rough terrain. My home track is too rough for buggy, but thanks to 24kg servo, my buggy can turn very well while other sometimes said understeering on their car.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
Here is what I have observed in my Losi LST truck ( I already sold it ). With single 13kg servo, the steering movement is super way too slow and it doesn't reach maximum steering. With double 13kg servo, the steering movement is still slow, but it can reach maximum steering. However, it doesn't reach my satisfaction level. With double 24kg servo, then suddenly the steering become quick and acceptable to my taste.

I test the steering movement on the floor.

Btw, even in my buggy, more torque means more holding power while turning on rough terrain. My home track is too rough for buggy, but thanks to 24kg servo, my buggy can turn very well while other sometimes said understeering on their car.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy
+1 It should not have been that hard to understand...

Jason, BTW, I never spelled arguing "arging" Either way, I would not be the first or last person to spell something wrong in an informal post. No "personal" attack necessary. Please, if you have a problem with something, PM me.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
+1 It should not have been that hard to understand...

Jason, BTW, I never spelled arguing "arging" Either way, I would not be the first or last person to spell something wrong in an informal post. No "personal" attack necessary. Please, if you have a problem with something, PM me.
pmed cleared up a stupid misunderstanding...sorry to all the guys that had to read this drawn out ordeal...im not and never will say rez doent know his stuff, cause he does, and has helped me out at times with some of my problem i could not solve...it was just a debate and not a argument...
Old 11-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Group hug... ;-) (actually Id prefer a "Cheers" and a Newcastle instead...hugs creep me out...mebbe its just the Californian in me.)
Old 11-05-2007, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ron_J
Like the title says. I don't want to know how cheap a servo I need. I just want to know, at what point it gets overkill. How much torque and speed is necessary, and do you run different servos in the throttle over the steering.

Thanks
See what u started
imagine if you asked which brand of servo was best
prolly would have got a lot of
and some
and maybe even some

Old 11-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

Default ACE SERVO

BTW: while we're at it, another question about servos: I got an ACE brand servo and when I conected it to my Futaba Fasst receiver, it just jammed all the way to one side and would do nothing else. I turned the power off. As soon as I turned it back on, the servo went all the way to one side and stayed there, straining.

Does this mean I have to change the wires on the servo plug?? Or is there some kind of incompatibility and I can't use this servo with this receiver??
Old 11-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

First reset all trims and EPAs when installing a new servo. If it still has this odd behavior, contact ACE, as it should not be a RX issue.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Loop&Roll
See what u started
imagine if you asked which brand of servo was best
prolly would have got a lot of
and some
and maybe even some

LOL WELL now with that said...i like Hi Tech for T/B and JR for steering LOL, but its not a big deal what you use these days there is so many good digi servos out on the market...
Old 11-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DR ZAIRUS
BTW: while we're at it, another question about servos: I got an ACE brand servo and when I conected it to my Futaba Fasst receiver, it just jammed all the way to one side and would do nothing else. I turned the power off. As soon as I turned it back on, the servo went all the way to one side and stayed there, straining.

Does this mean I have to change the wires on the servo plug?? Or is there some kind of incompatibility and I can't use this servo with this receiver??

I have heard of something similar to this with spektrum systems when changing from an analog to digital servo... this might be a similar problem. re-marry the rx to the tx. See if that helps. Note that I have not personally seen that problem, but have been told about it more than once.

Brad
Old 11-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Tech Adept

Already tried that. I'll have to check out the polarity....hmmmmm