Wiki Posts
Search

How much servo 1/8 buggy???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by windellmc
The outdrives do come from the Mayhem. I'm not sure which others parts. I have never seen any of the Losi guys claim the car is made in the US. I guarantee the race rollers are not US assembled and the guys I know who run the Losi have told me of getting parts made in several countries. I believe the car was designed and tested in the US.
Actually the out drives are not from the Turmoil . They look similar but the Losi out drives are made from a different metal than the Turmoil ones .

"I guarantee the race rollers are not US assembled"

You better do your homework to back up a statement like that . Getting parts made in several countries is B.S. Do your friends work for Losi/Horizon ? Sure they heard that from someone and think it`s true . Anyway flap your jaw all you want , I really don`t care what you think .
Old 11-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy
Actually the out drives are not from the Turmoil . They look similar but the Losi out drives are made from a different metal than the Turmoil ones .

"I guarantee the race rollers are not US assembled"

You better do your homework to back up a statement like that . Getting parts made in several countries is B.S. Do your friends work for Losi/Horizon ? Sure they heard that from someone and think it`s true . Anyway flap your jaw all you want , I really don`t care what you think .
take it easy guys, there is no need to make it personal, but on another note you are right briguy...
Old 11-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Champion

Sorry Jason , I hate it when people make statements like that and don`t do their homework before hand to back it up .
Old 11-03-2007, 11:36 PM

That is if it actually is 300 ounces, i am pretty sure certain companies over-rate their servo's and others under-rate them.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson
150 is a lil on the weak side...175 to 200 is good, but around 300 is even better, and the price isnt any more for a good servo...
For a buggy 100oz/in or more is desirable for steering. Many people use the JR 9000S for steering which is rated at 128oz/in with a transit speed of .06/60º Even this servo holds its position great during high speed turns. 150+ is not needed for steering, but may be for throttle. Realize that 128oz/in is 8 POUNDS of torque. The buggies weight about that or more, however they do not have to fight that much torque with the directions the load is placed on them. Think of a full size car with no servo assisted or hydraulic assistance for steering. Yes its hard to turn the wheels, but at moving speed it is much easier, AND you aren't applying as much torque as the vehicles weigh to turn the steering wheel.

DR ZAIRUS: The reason for the switch to digital AND HRS with my 3pks w/FASST is I wanted to have a digital servo BECAUSE I can then set fail-safe quite easier with the radio remembering it. As for the HRS mode, I dont think one would be able to tell a difference in offroad. In onroad yes because there should be less play in the linkage and one typically is moving much faster with much more grip to better "feel" slight changes. If one states they notice a difference, its cause of the hype and what they want to feel (in offroad that is) I have noticed that most fast onroad guys still use FM because there will actually be less latency (no analog to digital converters and back) HOWEVER; the purely digital systems like the Nomadio React and Sensor my be different.

Last edited by rezenclowd3; 11-07-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
For a buggy you 100oz/in or more is desirable for steering. Many people use the JR 9000S for steering which is rated at 128oz/in with a transit speed of .06/60º Even this servo holds its position great during high speed turns. 150+ is not needed for steering, but may be for throttle. Realize that 128oz/in is 8 POUNDS of torque. The buggies weight about that or more, however they do not have to fight that much torque with the directions the load is placed on them. Think of a full size car with no servo assisted or hydraulic assistance for steering. Yes its hard to turn the wheels, but at moving speed it is much easier, AND you aren't applying as much torque as the vehicles weigh to turn the steering wheel.
rezenclowd3, everybody has there preference, and over kill is mine, and many others preference also, low torque is yours, thats cool with me, hope my perfernce is cool with you...

Last edited by Jason Halvorson; 11-04-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:16 AM
Tech Champion

My Hyper8 buggy and XT8 truck received 333oz and 410oz of torque respectively for steering department.

Overkill is my another hobby
Old 11-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

rezenclowd3, everybody has there preference, and over kill is mine, and many others preference also, low torque is yours, thats cool with me, hope my perfernce is cool with you...
I never said its a preference. However its the idea that you need an insane amount of torque that is not true. Any more torque than low 120s is not going to hold your line any better than say 300oz/in of torque IN A BUGGY. In a truggy it can be good because there is quite a bit more rotating mass to move. As for preference, I just desire any high dollar servo with torque of 120oz/in or more and a transit speed of .10 seconds/60º or more. Like I said before, I just wanted to try something new, and honestly, the Futaba BL451s are working better than my Airtronics 358s, but I can not say if it is because of age, the fact that they are digital or the fact that they are brushless. Next I am going to try the JR 9100s, but I KNOW that is overkill, and a super fast transit speed of .06 seconds will probably hurt me personally as a driver. I know in onroad any faster than .10 seconds does hurt my driving skills.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

I never said its a preference. However its the idea that you need an insane amount of torque that is not true. Any more torque than low 120s is not going to hold your line any better than say 300oz/in of torque IN A BUGGY. In a truggy it can be good because there is quite a bit more rotating mass to move. As for preference, I just desire any high dollar servo with torque of 120oz/in or more and a transit speed of .10 seconds/60º or more. Like I said before, I just wanted to try something new, and honestly, the Futaba BL451s are working better than my Airtronics 358s, but I can not say if it is because of age, the fact that they are digital or the fact that they are brushless. Next I am going to try the JR 9100s, but I KNOW that is overkill, and a super fast transit speed of .06 seconds will probably hurt me personally as a driver. I know in onroad any faster than .10 seconds does hurt my driving skills.
hey buddy im not trying to argue with you...im just saying that lots of torque is what i like, and works well for me, and i understand that lower torque works well for you...different strokes for different folks...
Old 11-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

hey buddy im not trying to argue with you...im just saying that lots of torque is what i like, and works well for me, and i understand that lower torque works well for you...different strokes for different folks...
+1
Old 11-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not arguing, just trying to state the facts of what is needed and what is not needed. With the current trend in servos, and hype, soon people will be stating as fact that one needs a 400oz/in servo for a buggy If you pick a servo, it IS more important to have enough torque rather than top transit speed. Without the proper amount of torque, a servo is useless. Its not that higher torque works well for you and lower torque works well for me like you stated. 120oz/in in recent buggies will work for everyone.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

okay lets drop it, cuz this is bound to turn into an argument. your preference depends on what servo you buy. if you like overkill get overkill, even if you dont need it.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

I'm not arguing, just trying to state the facts of what is needed and what is not needed. With the current trend in servos, and hype, soon people will be stating as fact that one needs a 400oz/in servo for a buggy If you pick a servo, it IS more important to have enough torque rather than top transit speed. Without the proper amount of torque, a servo is useless. Its not that higher torque works well for you and lower torque works well for me like you stated. 120oz/in in recent buggies will work for everyone.
+1
Old 11-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

OH BOY!!!! your not arguing, but your arging...this is stupid , and ill say this one more time...YOUR FINDINGS IS BEST FOR YOU (and the rest of the world as you say) AND I LIKE MY WAY!!!!!!!! so lets get the heck over it, cause this could go on forever...

so your right and the rest of the others and i that like more torque are wrong...
Old 11-04-2007, 04:53 PM

I would say 13 kg is more than enough torque for buggy steering... obviously more if u like.

I would also say 10kg is more than enough torque for throttle/brake... again more if u like.

speed I would look at, at least .13 or quicker...

My opinion, works fine for me and most of the fast guys at my club...

Use these specs and u wont be dissapointed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.