Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MBX5R

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the 1.0 mm sevo shims can also be used to space the servo out t let the arm clear the tray.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FrankBlack
Has anyone found that you cant get the full steering throw by using the tie rod end on the inside of the servo horn? If i use the inside of the servo horn the rod end hits the carbon fibre plate for the radio tray when its not quite at full throw, i tried using the top hole on my servo horn and same happens and if i use a lower hole the rod end actually hits the servo casing and still not gettin full throw, the only way i could get full steering throw was by using the outer side of the servo horn.
What servo are you using? The steering servo has spacers and blocks to position the servo correctly. If you use the wrong ones, it puts the servo in too far and makes the servo horn hit. Check the manual and use the spacers it says for the manufacturer of your servo.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Has anyone found that you cant get the full steering throw by using the tie rod end on the inside of the servo horn? If i use the inside of the servo horn the rod end hits the carbon fibre plate for the radio tray when its not quite at full throw, i tried using the top hole on my servo horn and same happens and if i use a lower hole the rod end actually hits the servo casing and still not gettin full throw, the only way i could get full steering throw was by using the outer side of the servo horn.
When I ran the Airtronics 358/359 servos mine hit too. I just marked it with a sharpie and about 2 seconds with the small sanding drum on my dremel it was no longer an issue
Old 12-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by topcat-lll
Hey Race Fans

I'm kinda like Rezenclowd. I'm also looking for a new 8th scale buggy to race
next season. I've been racing 2wd 1/10th nitro stadium truck for many years,
but for some reason this class is starting to fade away. I was looking at the
new AE rc8, but Associated tends to cater to the rtr and basher crowd lately.
I know that Mugen Seiki has been an "dyed in the wool" racers only company
for years, on-road and off,with many championships to prove it. Their 1/8 scale buggies have been a big part of their success and been around for more than
a decade. So naturally I have to give the mbx5r a very close look. I know that
as far as quality is concerned the mbx5r has the competition beat. My only
question is handling being that I'm hearing that some of the newer buggies
maybe lighter and more agile?
The Losi 8ight and new AE RC8 are definitely lighter and that will definitely help them accelerate a pinch faster but the Mugen has no issue keeping up with them on the track. Its all about the driver, motor, tuning, clutch, tires, etc. The Mugen's extra weight is in the drive line. Personally I like it there because it is extremely durable and lasts forever. You will definitely replace your drive line on the lightened cars several times before you do on the Mugen. But you should buy what you like, what you feel drives well and what you can get parts/help for. Get out to the track and see if you can take some of these cars for a spin. See what everyone else is running and what your LHS stocks in parts. Then go from there. You can't go wrong with any of the top level machines out there now.

Best of luck!
Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Thx for the info guys, i totally forgot about the spacers Im using futaba 9451 servo, i cant remember what spacer i used, ill have a play around with it, im sure i can fix this with the ideas you guys have come up with.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Thx for the info guys, i totally forgot about the spacers Im using futaba 9451 servo, i cant remember what spacer i used, ill have a play around with it, im sure i can fix this with the ideas you guys have come up with.
Look at the attached page from the manual & off to the left side note area. It states on the Futaba servo S9451 & S9350 (mine is a S9351) to use 2.5mm spacers and you have to stack the locking blocks offset, one with a thin edge and the other with a thick edge. Mine sets in perfectly and I know a lot of people who are missing this step.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MBX5 Futaba Servo install.pdf (360.5 KB, 229 views)
Old 12-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys had my first race with the MBX5R on friday night. All i can say is i had a ball. Im so happy with my mugen.

Here is a pic and link to results.

http://www.ocrraceway.com/2007%20Results/TDDFC2.html

Cheers

Tim
Old 12-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OBMIT
Hey guys had my first race with the MBX5R on friday night. All i can say is i had a ball. Im so happy with my mugen.

Here is a pic and link to results.

Tim
looks dirty!!!!!!! just how i like it...
Old 12-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Nice looking dirt though
Old 12-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

Yes the Dirt at OCR is very nice. No rocks just plenty of clay. We had a massive down poor the day of the race so it was a bit boggy. By the A main there was a nice dry hard packed line so it was all good. I have some footage to put up so when i host it ill give you guys the link. Just dont look to close to my driving style. Buggy needs some setup adjustments.

Anyone run the Option Springs and found them Bouncey with 400 Oil?

Cheers

Tim
Old 12-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OBMIT
Anyone run the Option Springs and found them Bouncey with 400 Oil?

Cheers

Tim
Actually, I'll find out later this week. I had truggy 1.4 pistons in mine with 400 oil, option long grey springs and shocks mounted all the way in, out on the arms. Car suspension was dead and unresponsive, almost no spring to the shocks. Move them to middle hole in the shock towers, still dead. Just put the 1.5 pistons in tonight with 400 oil and middle shock tower settings and outer hole on arms. Using 7mm spacers rear and 6mm front.
What is your settings on your shocks at now?
I may throw my progressive hard springs from my MBX5 shocks back on if these springs don't work out.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Tech Adept

standard set up except long grey springs, spacers to level arms (2mm). Im going to try no spacers if that doesnt work I'm back to standard springs.

Tim
Old 12-09-2007, 09:25 PM
vr6
Tech Fanatic

hey guys, this is my 1st post on this thread. i recently got a mbx5r loaded with all king stuff except from and rear shock towers.

i did not get a clutch for the guy. can some of you suggest what clutch to use for this car. not sure to buy the mugen setup, or an aftermarket version
Old 12-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

run the mugen Al shoes, but steer clear of the mugen springs for a bit...sounds like there was a bad batch with breaking problems...as far as spring size and clutch bell that depends on the engine your running...

oh and congrats on the 5R your goon love it!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hey guys just wondering what the differences are between the "R" spec car and the old MBX5.

i have an MBX5 which i am thinking about up grading to an "R" spec but yeh not sure on which parts i need.

i think that if i get all the things in the following links it should be enough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MUGEN-MBX5R-PROS...QQcmdZViewItem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.