Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MBX5R

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

Hi guys

Just got hold of the 5R arms shocks, towers, servo saver assembly roll bars etc basically keeping the chassis and fr rr gearbox and diffs, cvds, i found the front arms were binding like crazy on the front gearbox and also the chassis, i dremelled some chassis away and just got the craft knife on the gearbox, anyone else have this problem or was it just me?? any other parts which might be considered necessary to fully convert??

Cheers Jason
Old 10-02-2007, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Slow coach, I'd assume the R chassis would be different to whatever model chassis you have hence the required modifications. On my R, I have had to, on occasion, remove a small amount of material from the arm to properly clear the gearbox. Normally it was just the remenants of the moulding gate but sometimes, it seems as if the arm around the hingepin area has too much material.

Just wondering what people think of the stock mugen filters. I've been running them and they seem to work well. But I want to run a pre filter as it can get dusty here and so far, the only one I've found to fit is a hot bodies blue pre filter that doesn't seem to stop much at all.

Just wondering what people's setups are? Especially if you've found a pre-filter that fits the stock filter nicely.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Hello everyone.

I picked up a converted Mugen MBX5 Electric buggy.

Mugen sent me a spreadsheet that has the conversion info I believe on it (they had a column headed by MBX5R and had X'd each row that was applicable I am assuming). (I attached it as word format)

SO, going from the MBX5 to the MBX5R, what are you guys noticing?

What parts should I stock up on (don't need nitro specific ones, but thinking suspension components, have Racers Edge Towers).

What seems to be the popular starting setup for a semi loose smooth track with big jumps?

On the sheet Mugen sent, what are the ones you recommend to get that are important for the MBX5R conversion?

Thanks for all the info, looking forward to getting more time on the buggy.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
MBX5R Parts.doc (192.5 KB, 398 views)
Old 10-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

More suspension in the downtravel area and a few more adjustments for wheelbase both front and rear. Arms are different than the old Prospec. They allow for all the downtravel and smoothing of those deep bumps. You'll like this car better than the old on a blown out track...
Old 10-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

I run about the same droop as the Prospec. The car seems faster this way. The Mugen is really not meant to drop into every hole on the track like a Kyosho. It is meant to skip over the bumps.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

i had both the prospec and mbx5r at the same time and ran them both one right after the other on the same rough track. the R is better through the rough and doesnt require as much throttle control to get to turn as sharp as the older car. lap times can be consistant with eachother but imo in the rough i felt like i could squeeze the throttle more with the r and not worry about it going bazzerk. in most qualifiers i was faster with the r because it would not roll over as easy in the rough. ran them both for 2-3 months and i can honestly say when you go from a pro spec to an R you will be loving it and if you have both cars you will wonder why you run the pro spec.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Yeah the R shocks are far superior to the Prospec. The coating and new design oring pack with screw on cap are just a lot better than the old ones.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by windellmc
Yeah the R shocks are far superior to the Prospec. The coating and new design oring pack with screw on cap are just a lot better than the old ones.
yup steering is a tad better too. im not saying a prospec isnt still able to do well just saying you can drive an R like a prospec but you cant really drive a prospec like an R lol doesnt really make sense until you drive them together though and drive the R on its own merit
Old 10-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info guys. My initial impressions were that the front suspension parts were different, maybe its more than that.

Of what they listed on that document I posted, can one of you in the know post what you feel is necessary for the conversion?

Also, are the chassis holes the same between the MBX5 and MBX5R?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbine_au
Slow coach, I'd assume the R chassis would be different to whatever model chassis you have hence the required modifications. On my R, I have had to, on occasion, remove a small amount of material from the arm to properly clear the gearbox. Normally it was just the remenants of the moulding gate but sometimes, it seems as if the arm around the hingepin area has too much material.

Just wondering what people think of the stock mugen filters. I've been running them and they seem to work well. But I want to run a pre filter as it can get dusty here and so far, the only one I've found to fit is a hot bodies blue pre filter that doesn't seem to stop much at all.

Just wondering what people's setups are? Especially if you've found a pre-filter that fits the stock filter nicely.
This is what i run and it never gets past the first layer use mugen airfilter oil best on the market
Mugen Air Filter oil

Power save Racing airfilter
Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I assume you oil both the filter and the pre-filter?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

yeah its realy dusty at our track u got to
Old 10-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cain
Thanks for the info guys. My initial impressions were that the front suspension parts were different, maybe its more than that.

Of what they listed on that document I posted, can one of you in the know post what you feel is necessary for the conversion?

Also, are the chassis holes the same between the MBX5 and MBX5R?
Personally i have kept the Prospec chassis and just modded it for the downtravel (bit of dremeling) gearbox, diffs and cvd's all prospec.

I got hold of shocks, towers, centre diff mount, servo saver assembly complete, roll bars 2.4/2.9 and all the arms sorted

there are claims the 5R chassi has changed somehow with location of center diff but i have asked and it seems holes are in exact same places !
Old 10-03-2007, 07:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

If I went with this conversion kit, will I have ALL the benefits of the 5R? If not, what benefits will I be missing?

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=2803

Thanks!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Tech Legend

Curious, on that link you listed it has all the part number listed, but doesn't appear the chassis is one of them. Here is a quick list of the items:

Contained in this Bundle :

1 x Mugen Front Long Shock Set MBX5T MBX5R (MUGE0513)
Complete Updated Big-Bore Mugen Front Shocks for MBX-5T and MBX-5R

1 x Mugen Rear Long Shock Set MBX5T MBX5R (MUGE0514)
Complete Updated Big-Bore Mugen Rear Shocks for MBX-5T and MBX-5R

1 x Mugen 5mm Front Shock Tower - MBX-5R (MUGE0526)
5mm Front Shock Tower for MBX5R

1 x Mugen 5mm Rear Shock Tower - MBX-5R (MUGE0527)
5mm Rear Shock Tower for MBX5R

1 x Front Upper Arms MBX-5R (MUGE0106-B)
Front Upper Arms for the MBX5R and MBX5

1 x Front Lower Arms MBX-5R (MUGE0107-B)
Latest version of Front Arms for MBX5 MBX5R

1 x Rear Lower Arms MBX-5R (MUGE0108-B)
Rear Lower Arms for the MBX-5 and MBX-5R

1 x Front Uprights - MBX-5R MBX5T MBX5 (MUGE0109-B)
Front Uprights - MBX5R - Newly updated Front Uprights for the Mugen MBX5R, MBX5T and MBX-5

1 x Front Lower Arm Support 4mm -1 - MBX-5R (MUGE0141)
4mm Aluminum Front Lower Arm Support -1deg for Mugen MBX5R

I have the Racers Edge Towers, so I don't think I will get the R style towers unless someone recommends them. My shocks may be upgrades too, will need to check.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.