Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

The Dynamite shoes are lighter that their Losi counterparts. Try them with gold springs to get the same effect. I liked them with 2 black and 2 gold then the clutch would engage at lower rpms and still had hit all the way to the top. They last forever.
TEX
Old 07-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tex1
The Dynamite shoes are lighter that their Losi counterparts. Try them with gold springs to get the same effect. I liked them with 2 black and 2 gold then the clutch would engage at lower rpms and still had hit all the way to the top. They last forever.
TEX
you must know more about the clutch than all the guys i have seen run them.....(2 70 off losi drivers).....the stock shoes last forever, i see no reason to change.....but i also have no reason to change my gearing or move my front arms......
Old 07-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

KingHeadz or Losi shoes for me too. The Max-lifes didn't last more than two weekends for me. I started with all silvers and found out quickly they wouldn't fully engage. But I wasn't using a high horsepower engine either. I put the black/green springs on and gold/black for the truggy. So on my 8T, 8, and dirt oval car the Max's were finished (22.9mm across) after two weekends.

This is only my experience though. Another friend at the track really likes the Max-Life shoes.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Hey Tex,

Did you ever post pic's of the front of your buggy with the change you've made to the arms ??

I did ask a while back, but haven't seen you on here much lately.

As for the dynamite shoe's, Over here in the UK I know quiet a few people that only use them !! Our tracks are pretty high grip and a std. losi set-up might last me 2 or 3 meeting, dynamite's work great and last age's so were very happy with them

Mr losi , would i be right in assuming you only run the stock losi set-up for the entire buggy ? As I'd imagine they know what there doing there too !! Or do you think that making track specific changes could help in some circustances ?? As I believe both the clutch shoes and springs used are a useful tuning aid making the buggy easier to drive on different surfaces. I can also believe that changing the geometery (wishbone positioning etc.) could make the buggy easier/better on some tracks although maybe not all ....... who know's. But I wouldn't out of hand disregard these set-up options as being of no use because Losi knows best as you seem to.

Rod
Old 07-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr. losi
you must know more about the clutch than all the guys i have seen run them.....(2 70 off losi drivers).....the stock shoes last forever, i see no reason to change.....but i also have no reason to change my gearing or move my front arms......
It`s not about knowing more , but experience . Many people run different setups , just because it`s not your way doesn`t make it wrong .

Most of the guys I race with run K.H. or Losi shoes and is all I ever used , but I`m gonna give the Dynamite ones a shot and see if I like them .
Old 07-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up No problem.....

Originally Posted by mr. losi
I never said I knew more than them. The fact is the Dynamite shoes are lighter and they do not last as long as the Losi long wears. Being lighter and a less dense material, they can use a lighter spring to hit at the same RPM. Just trying to help a guy out.

You see no reason to change because you have not seen a car work in a manner that you thought was superior to yours and then wonder why. I am always looking for what makes these cars tick. Several new cars have come out that up the mark in certain performance areas. After investigating why, I have an informed reason as to why I think the Losi has areas of improvment that can be acheived. Its all for the better.

I have not gotten those pictures in low-res yet. A guy showed me how to do it this week.

TEX
Old 07-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Merciless
Hey Tex,

Did you ever post pic's of the front of your buggy with the change you've made to the arms ??

I did ask a while back, but haven't seen you on here much lately.

As for the dynamite shoe's, Over here in the UK I know quiet a few people that only use them !! Our tracks are pretty high grip and a std. losi set-up might last me 2 or 3 meeting, dynamite's work great and last age's so were very happy with them

Mr losi , would i be right in assuming you only run the stock losi set-up for the entire buggy ? As I'd imagine they know what there doing there too !! Or do you think that making track specific changes could help in some circustances ?? As I believe both the clutch shoes and springs used are a useful tuning aid making the buggy easier to drive on different surfaces. I can also believe that changing the geometery (wishbone positioning etc.) could make the buggy easier/better on some tracks although maybe not all ....... who know's. But I wouldn't out of hand disregard these set-up options as being of no use because Losi knows best as you seem to.

Rod
i never said i knew everything, i know from my experience that the stock losi(or kh alum) shoes last for a long time......

i run the losi standard setup everywhere, i do not change it, other than droop, and toe in, or out.....

i run the same gold and green springs, and alum losi or king heads, and losi carbons everywhere....

my car works well everywhere i go....it is certainly better than i can drive it...
Old 07-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tex1
I never said I knew more than them. The fact is the Dynamite shoes are lighter and they do not last as long as the Losi long wears. Being lighter and a less dense material, they can use a lighter spring to hit at the same RPM. Just trying to help a guy out.

You see no reason to change because you have not seen a car work in a manner that you thought was superior to yours and then wonder why. I am always looking for what makes these cars tick. Several new cars have come out that up the mark in certain performance areas. After investigating why, I have an informed reason as to why I think the Losi has areas of improvment that can be acheived. Its all for the better.

I have not gotten those pictures in low-res yet. A guy showed me how to do it this week.

TEX
i guess time will tell, but i dont see losi changeing the car.....i heard that the gearing was tried a year ago, and it was decided it was not worth the hassle....

as for yor front mod, i would need to see it to be able to judge, i do not see a problem with any of the losi cars i have seen....
Old 07-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'll bet the current national champion likes his car without any special mods. Sorry, I couldn't resist!!
Old 07-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well, getting back in after a 2 year break, I will be putting together my buggy with all of the Matrix Concepts parts. Enjoy the pics.

I hope to shave close to a pound once I am done with it.

More pics of the build to come soon.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

the uni ends with the boots are something i need/want. tried going to your website and it wouldnt pull up the products.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

micros,

It is NOT my site. I do not work for Matrix Concepts. I am simply a club racer who is lucky enough to know the good people at Matrix Concepts.

PLEASE, contact [email protected] for any inquiries.

I stopped by the shop last thursday and Robert tells me that the website will be up and running in a few weeks.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Anybody know the diameter of the 8ight swaybars? I think the 2.3 mm is the thin silver? What are the other two?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

About the clutch shoes...

My stock race roller shoes did not last at all! I will admit that I used the same set for the break-in of my engine as well... I got 1 additional club race out of them before I tossed them... Past experiance tells me I should have gotten at least 2 or 3 w/ the break in process...

The Max-Life shoes I have in it now are fantastic! I am running all 4 aluminum w/ silver springs. Its a bit snappy engaging, but nothing too serious. My engine is a moded Nova 821B so I needed a lil more giddy-up...

So far I have about 2 gallons through the maxx shoes and there is still more life left... I have NEVER seen a set of aluminm shoes last this long.

Just my 2 cents
Old 07-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
the uni ends with the boots are something i need/want. tried going to your website and it wouldnt pull up the products.
+1, those ends are nice...

Any links where we may be able to purchase them?

That chassis looks sexy... Duno if I would put one on a 1/8 buggy though... Looks very rigid?

And the Akerman arm (or drag link) looks like it could use a bushing or bearing to avoid excessive slop over time..

Dam those parts look good though! I like how they made the chassis. looks like it was milled in two layers then laminated together, then a final milling.. Very nice!

how about a radio tray brace for the 8ight? or even a replacement tray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.