Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I would play with rear toe in instead.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default a

Originally Posted by Walt
Every 8ight I've ever seen where off-power steering was a problem (not enough off power steering), it turned out to be something wrong with the front brakes where they were grabbing WAY too hard under the very slightest of application pressure.

Just a suggestion: check that the front brakes aren't doing anything strange before you go chasing a setup problem. If the brakes are working fine (front one not grabbing in a strange, non-linear way), then start looking for setup options.
what kind of brake discs your using? I use carbon fiber from matrix and it does pretty well.. it lets them slide til it gets warm. kinda like abs system.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRFXXXT
Yes, you do have to dremel the one piece engine mount to get the GRP to fit. I figured I was going to dremel a 30 dollar mount vs. a 330 dollar motor... The way the GRP case is designed it would not fit in the one piece mount (the bottom of the case has fins on it), however it fit the stock Losi 8 mounts PERFECT, matched the contour of them exactly.

I did not have a problem with the diff mount, however I did find a "new" rub mark on my fuel tank from the clutch bell... I am hoping once I get the one piece engine mount in I can use the holes that shift the engine back and it will take care of that.

Dave
What about grind these fins down a little?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
I'm gonna try something "unconventional" for a Losi this weekend. I put in 5-5-5 to see if I can come out of the corners a little harder. I've been running 5-5-3 and like it, but the rear washes out just a little easier than I like. (I'm still learning, hope this will calm it down just a hair.) It's a 10 minute change to go back if I don't like it...
Going up in the rear will make you lose rear traction while cornering, but it should give you a tad more onpower exit speed when straightening out.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
Going up in the rear will make you lose rear traction while cornering, but it should give you a tad more onpower exit speed when straightening out.
I agree with this guy, more oil in front with less in rear will give better steering because then the front wheels would pull your car into the direction you want. if the rear wheels spin hard it would give more chance to do drift and lose control. I always run 5/7/2 in mine and it corners out pretty fast. I tried it in 7/7/2 once, front was pulling too much. and i tried 5/7/5 once, it throws the rear around too much.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default but

it also is depends on type of dirt your local track uses. my area always is hard packed.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

try 5000/4000/10000
locks the rear in....
Old 05-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
Right... on power exit speed is what I'm looking for. I don't have a problem with traction mid corner, just entry (that's just me over driving the corner- i.e. braking too late... and I've learned to "catch" it when it happens) and exit (trigger happy!!!!)

I want more rear bite coming out of the corner. Like I said, this is an experiment. I'll see how it behaves. I'm not unhappy with 5-5-3, just playing with it to see what it will do.

5-7-3 or 5-7-2 is too aggressive for me.

And Mike Battaile used to run 3-3-3 in his... that might be interesting to try also...

5-4-10 huh? One of my buds keeps saying "put 10 in the rear." We'll see if I like THIS change and want more or less... Have 2-3-5-7-10 in the box... so plenty of opportunity to play with it this weekend.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DirtyDezPirate
what kind of brake discs your using? I use carbon fiber from matrix and it does pretty well.. it lets them slide til it gets warm. kinda like abs system.
The original 'green' disks that came with my car worked well for a long time, then I started to chase an off-power (light braking) push. I eventually realized it was the front brake causing the problem. I then changed EVERYTHING that has anything to do with the front brakes, but I could not get the problem to go away.

Eventually, out of desparation, I started to change everything again, one part at a time, and this time when I changed out the new brake disk with another new brake disk, the problem went away.

I recently switched over to the Losi 'heavy duty' brake disks (losa3542), and those have worked fine for me so far.

Since discovering this problem I have helped two drivers at my local track who had the same front brake problem, and I think I've identified at least one former Losi owner who probably gave up on the car because of this problem when he couldn't figure it out.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Right... on power exit speed is what I'm looking for. I don't have a problem with traction mid corner, just entry (that's just me over driving the corner- i.e. braking too late... and I've learned to "catch" it when it happens) and exit (trigger happy!!!!)

I want more rear bite coming out of the corner. Like I said, this is an experiment. I'll see how it behaves. I'm not unhappy with 5-5-3, just playing with it to see what it will do.

And Mike Battaile used to run 3-3-3 in his... that might be interesting to try also...

5-4-10 huh? One of my buds keeps saying "put 10 in the rear." We'll see if I like THIS change and want more or less... Have 2-3-5-7-10 in the box... so plenty of opportunity to play with it this weekend.
Some one told me 3-5-3 or 3-5-2 helps balance the 8ight out better. I have been meaning to try it. One of the hot setups for a local bluegroove around here is 3-5-1. Something else to try.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

has anyone tried the 808 shock spring retainers on the 8ight. the 808 retainers seem to be a lot taller to keep the spring from falling off.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

opps
Old 05-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

I have found driving the car the way you described to be very inconsistant. THe smoothest and fast way to drive the car is like and electric 2wd. Come into the carner hard break a little and turn, then start to role on the throtal. Dont blip like you see with most drivers do. My lap times droped a good second and became way more consistant when I started to drive like this.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

The local pro Losi driver runs 3-3-3 in his diffs. so I tried it and it works great. This is on a small, very tight, compact clay track where taper pins and switches are it. A lot of people would say this is too light, but it sure does work good on our track.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BRETTMASTERJ
has anyone tried the 808 shock spring retainers on the 8ight. the 808 retainers seem to be a lot taller to keep the spring from falling off.
vp pro are making taller retainers for the 8ight checkout

http://vp-racing.com/products_parts_teamlosi_en.htm

adrian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.