Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

all the parts in the racer roller are the same as the kit.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
all the parts in the racer roller are the same as the kit.
Thanks, thats just what I wanted to hear, for $100 cheaper than the kit it looks like the roller will be the way to go even if I do have to take it apart before I build it!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brad996
some of this stuff is confusing to me to I just try to break it down to weight transfer like this

Less travel = less weight transfer(turn droop screw IN)

More travel = more weight transfer (turn droop screw out )

so think of you droop screws as travel limiter just like putting washers inside the shocks

for example (less travel droop screw IN) the front will keep more weight on the front tires and should give it more on power steering and less rear traction because the front will not allow as much weight to transfer to the rear tires

(more travel droop screw OUT) in the rear will give the car more off power steering
I went back a few pages to pull this quote, but I'm just now looking at the (new?) Losi setup guide that I think they include with the 'race roller'. It still seems that Losi is 'trying' to confuse me with their wording/logic when it comes to droop.

It makes sense to me that limiting the front travel (turning the droop screws in from the top) will increase on-power steering because not as much weight can transfer to the rear. But then Losi says this in their setup guide, page 5:

"More droop (travel) in the front will have more on-power steering and allow the truck to roll more on the rear when on throttle."

They're kill'n me. They have clarified that 'more droop' = 'more travel', but then say this increases on-power steering (which I've found to be the opposite of what really happens) and say that it allows the truck to roll onto the rear, which makes sense but contradicts the very same sentence.

Is Losi just not proof-reading this stuff very well, or am I totally missing something here?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

You are right more front droop will increase rear traction because of more weight transfer to the rear. It will not increase on power steering. Less droop in the front does that at the expense of rear traction. It is a tradeoff. More droop in the rear increases intial turn in and less decreases it and makes the buggy push on corner entry. Max rear droop works well on tight tracks because it makes the car turn-in sharper.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Walt
I went back a few pages to pull this quote, but I'm just now looking at the (new?) Losi setup guide that I think they include with the 'race roller'. It still seems that Losi is 'trying' to confuse me with their wording/logic when it comes to droop.

It makes sense to me that limiting the front travel (turning the droop screws in from the top) will increase on-power steering because not as much weight can transfer to the rear. But then Losi says this in their setup guide, page 5:

"More droop (travel) in the front will have more on-power steering and allow the truck to roll more on the rear when on throttle."

They're kill'n me. They have clarified that 'more droop' = 'more travel', but then say this increases on-power steering (which I've found to be the opposite of what really happens) and say that it allows the truck to roll onto the rear, which makes sense but contradicts the very same sentence.

Is Losi just not proof-reading this stuff very well, or am I totally missing something here?
OK heres the deal
you need to read the whole explanation under the droop headingas the first 2 lines explain the rest

when they say droop they are talking about droop height (the amount or screw protruding throught the bottom of the arm or distance between the arm and chassis) not droop travel ( the overall arm down travel)

so when they say less droop it means that you loosen the droop screws IE more droop travel

hope this helps

Adrian
Old 12-18-2007, 11:39 PM
Tech Adept

hi im getting a losi soon and i was wondering what parts i should have for it
Old 12-19-2007, 04:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RETRO RC
OK heres the deal
you need to read the whole explanation under the droop headingas the first 2 lines explain the rest

when they say droop they are talking about droop height (the amount or screw protruding throught the bottom of the arm or distance between the arm and chassis) not droop travel ( the overall arm down travel)

so when they say less droop it means that you loosen the droop screws IE more droop travel

hope this helps

Adrian
I think you are talking about the tuning tips at the back of the 8ight Kit manual. I'm talking about the new 'tuning guide' that Losi put together in response to the criticism that the car is 'too' responsive. I think it is included with the 8ight race roller. You can also find it on their web site, as I did.

The quote I gave is a direct quote, where they define droop as 'travel' by putting the word 'travel' in parenthesis. The first sentence in that section under droop just says: "Droop is the amount of suspension downward travel from ride height." Second sentence just says to measure droop with the shocks on.

I think it's just a misprint on Losi's part, and maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion, but I think they need to proof read this stuff a little better. This is a guide to help people who can't figure the car out. If they say something backwards, they're really gonna screw some people up.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

no, droop is the amount of travel over ride height....

so, i will use a sedan as my example.....

my ride ieght is 5 mm, i want 2.5 mm of droop, my wheels will leave teh ground at 7.5mm .....

it is slightly diggerent with the 8, in that you set your rh ar 27 front and 29 rear, and then measure the shock length, but in essence you are doing teh same thing, longer shock = more droop.....shorther = less droop.....

i know i look like Mr. Obvious here, also, i have not seen the guide for which you speek...
Old 12-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default 8 race roller

I just got a new race roller yesterday and the rear gear mesh is really tight and notchy.

Will that go away after a tank or so? I loosened the 4 diff case screws a little bit to not make it so tight.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

it will loosen itself up.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by buckeye-mac
I just got a new race roller yesterday and the rear gear mesh is really tight and notchy.

Will that go away after a tank or so? I loosened the 4 diff case screws a little bit to not make it so tight.
I would take it part and check it out before taking it to the track.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cota348
I would take it part and check it out before taking it to the track.

I did take it apart, the gears looked fine. I have been told they just need to break in a little for the first few tanks
Old 12-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just got my Losi 8ight race roller today. It says on the box, MADE IN TAIWAN. Is that a typo or is that true? I thought 8ight's were made in USA....Anything I should check before running this roller?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

lol..nothing is made in the USA anymore..even the things that claim to be made in the USA.

Also, the 8ight is designed by Jukka Steenari and he's from Finland..damn, all your dreams crushed..j/k
Old 12-21-2007, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

+1

There are NO R/C cars/trucks made in the U.S.A. any longer! At least since Thunder Tigers aquisition of A/E. Even some of the items on Japanese R/C cars are made in Taiwan or China nowadays, since it's all about the profit in business. If the market value for an item is $500 and you can make it in the U.S. for $430 or make it in China for $81 it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what will happen.

Of course we don't hold China/Taiwan/India and similar countries to the same standards we empose on our own manufacturers.

Labor Laws
Human Rights
Enviornmental regulation
Taxation
Property values
Unions
Annual cost of living raises

Kind of tips the scales....Yet, some want to impose more rules and regs in our own borders, while they shop at Wal-Mart for overseas merchandise.

ODD, unless damaging our long term soverinty was the goal?

Sorry for the long post, got rolling, .

...Jim
W.E.D.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.