Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I might have met you not sure. You cant miss me im 6'8'' 330 lbs I kinda stand out.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face

Originally Posted by draggindrew
hey freefallmarine and tex1 where do yall race at? I have just started getting into racing and ive been going to Indy rc world anA friend d am gonna try and go to jcg this weekend just to watch.

But the main ?'s i have are:

1. I have an 8ight rtr that ive done some upgrading to. A friend recently got out of the hobby and gave me tons of stuff including a brand new ofna chrome top starter box. I know this is in this thread somewhere but dont have the time and patience to look ot up. It seems as though the starter wheel is not reaching the flywheel. Do i need tto modify the starter box or is there engine mounts that lower the engine on the chasis? Or do i need to get a larger flywheel?

You need to lower the engine by getting motor mounts made for bump starting. You should not need to modify the box. You will also need the SW backplate to get rid of the pull start.

2. I am looking into buying a modified engine. Which engine in yalls opinion is the best bang for the buck no expenses spared. im looking into a hot mod ws7 III or an OS 21VZ-B V Spec Comp.

If you are planning to race at Indy part time, I would suggest not getting a mod engine. Get you a good RB and later you can get a local guy to mod it. Check out T&T RC Cars in Plano. Joe does some killer mods. We are running RTR motors in our 8ight Ts and getting 11 - 12 mins and not giving any horsepower up. BTW - You should really take a look at the SW engines and the ones branded by Dynamite. They are proving to be very worthy and you can get two for the cost of 1 Italian motor. Joe's is on 8 - 9 gallons. Feel it if you go in the store.

3. Where can I find new better orings for my shocks? I just disassembled them and one shock had only a few drops left in it.
We carry them. Get the white ones. Indy and JCG also carrys them.

Hope this helps,
TEX
Old 06-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FlyByWire
This is probably the wrong place to ask this... but maybe some of you guys have owned both.

Wondering how the MBX5R drives in comparrison to the 8ight. I am getting back into the hobby and was driving an 8ight when I got out.. Have heard good things about the Mugen, but have never driven one.

I do not own both but I ran pro-specs for a while. I've run the Losi for a while and my pit partner got the 5R & I have driven it alot. I would say the Mugen is smoother & more forgiving that the Losi but the Losi is a little more agresive. They are both very good. The R is a big improvement over the regular pro-spec for sure.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RBMike
I do not own both but I ran pro-specs for a while. I've run the Losi for a while and my pit partner got the 5R & I have driven it alot. I would say the Mugen is smoother & more forgiving that the Losi but the Losi is a little more agresive. They are both very good. The R is a big improvement over the regular pro-spec for sure.
Good deal, Mike.. thanks for your time.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Those of you running 3 port motor's, are you using 13 or 14 tooth clutch bell's?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Carl,
I figured you would have gone to Nats. How's the racing going? I have been having problems with belts and gears stripping in my starter box. Plus working a bad shift, and I don't get to race much these days. I get to race this weekend but everyone around here went to St. Louis.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Was planning on going to St Louis, but my house is underwater!!! its been raing like 3 weeks straight. i wrapped a pool noodle around my 8, so now its classified as a amphious vehicle. Im planning a enduro race in Tulsa around October. Cheak it out at tulsaracing.net hope you guy's can make it. 3 man team's(1 expert and 2 sportsmen) 30min qual's. And maybe 2 hour main's. Im going to kidnap Trebor for this one....give me a call if you get the chance...

Last edited by freefallmarine; 06-28-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:41 AM
Tech Champion

lol. that sounds bad. Sorry to hear about that. I'm gonna need more racing so I can get this 8th scale racing habit taken care of.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:46 AM
Tech Elite

Me too..I havent drivin since OKC. Got a new RB Mods os vg im dying to try out. So enduro, whatta ya think??
Old 06-28-2007, 04:09 AM
Tech Champion

that enduro sounds pretty cool. I'll talk to the guys and see what they think. Ya, I have a new engine also and I'm frustrated that my one month old starter box crapped out and I can't find replacement belts and pullies. So I'm going to buy a different box just so I can race, and wait for manufacturers to give me any updates. What boxes are most people using these days?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:28 AM
Tech Adept

Default Help

Hi guys,

I am putting an 8ight pro kit together and have a couple of questions:

1) The central differential is way to tight, I have taken it appart several times, think I followed the instructions pretty good but still no right. suggestions, ideas,etc.

2) Also when installing that differential into the chasis, the differential mounts don't fit into the holes, they are more like an "A" (close on top open in the bottom), obviously is because the bearings are not set in all the way, but I literally hammer those baby down and can get them to move in anymore. Also suggestions, ideas, etc.

By the way mi kit came missing the central differential seal.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 06-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freefallmarine
Those of you running 3 port motor's, are you using 13 or 14 tooth clutch bell's?
I've been running an OS RG with the 14t. That engine has strong bottom end and not much top and it's working out great. Sound's different (lower revs)but it accelerates very well.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

Default Previous Post

Sorry guys,

I took it a part this morning nth try, and got it solved.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

Default Missing differential seal

Hi guys,

Mi buggy kit came with a missing diff. seal (A3505).

Does any other seal fit?

Besides ordering the part, what other options do I have?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cota348
Hi guys,

Mi buggy kit came with a missing diff. seal (A3505).

Does any other seal fit?

Besides ordering the part, what other options do I have?

Thanks in advance
I would honestly contact the manufacturer. Im sure they will have no problem sending one for free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.