Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

the funny thing though sepirts is on the Losi the Aluminum shoes are wearing faster than the Carbons LOL I could get away with running the carbons a tick longer but the aluminums are SMOKED
Old 10-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Tech Adept

rdeppen, I can't say that I can share your same experiences. I'll have to tear down my clutch double check.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

There is more to the overall gear ratio of a car than the spur and clutch bell. I don't know the overall gearing of the 8IGHT; by driving it, I'd assume it might be a little taller than some of the other cars, but not by much. Taller gearing should equal more fuel mileage and a smoother car. Time will tell if we need to start messing around with it.

Clutch parts, like everything else, have gotta be high on Losi's priority list. I've got about a half-gallon on my car and the shoes have worn pretty quickly but nothing absolutely horrible. As Losi (and the rest of the world) start to get more parts in and get stuff figured out, you guys will all hear about it.

Tex - Fluro yellow and pink have always been my colors, from back in the mid-90's when hot pink was "cool". My cars never fail to stand out from the crowd!

(Shameful plug) www.panthermotorsportsdesign.com and you can change those one-color bodies into something pretty, without much work! HAHAHA
Old 10-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

arron what springs do you reccomend running in the new losi clutch? The kit comes with a couple options...

What will increasing the antisquat do for the car? Right now the car comes with 3 degrees toe in and 2 degrees anti...If I switch to 3 what will I notice? I guess I also want to know what I will notice with the toe change...

Thanks a lot !
Old 10-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

My car right now is really out of the box; my dad set the clutch up with the stock shoes and springs (not using the optional parts that came in that separate bag).

When I switched to the 3-3 block (adding anti-squat versus stock) it helped my car feel like it had more rear traction. It should help the car jump higher, and have more forward bite; this will make the car feel like it squares up better.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
My car right now is really out of the box; my dad set the clutch up with the stock shoes and springs (not using the optional parts that came in that separate bag).

When I switched to the 3-3 block (adding anti-squat versus stock) it helped my car feel like it had more rear traction. It should help the car jump higher, and have more forward bite; this will make the car feel like it squares up better.
Thanks!

So if I am waiting on my 3/3 block to come in can I just put a 1mm washer under the front mount of the diff case to make up for this?
Old 10-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

Uh...I'm not sure. I don't think it'll allow everything else to remain lined up correctly but I don't know for certain.

All of the toe-in and anti-squat changes are done with the rear block when you change the parts.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wonder if that bigger inner clutch bearing
isn't spilling off more oil into the bell breaking in to...
Old 10-06-2006, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

anyone using a mugen starter box? im having trouble with the wheel hitting the flywheel. maybe my wheel is worn down to much and i need another one. but it worked fine with my xray. the starter wheel sits in the chassis fine but it doesnt make contact with the flywheel. its like my starter wheel needs to come up a couple of MM.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:03 AM
Tech Initiate

I have a new Mugen startbox, and it works fine with out any modifications.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ok thanks.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tex1

Scotty your car looked real good! Almost time to move you up!!!

Good stuff!
TEX
<------ Not done yet!
um.... i dont think im that fast, mabey when I can buy a smaller motor to put it in my beast.

P.S. - how did the RG do in the losi?
Old 10-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey Guys,
The new car is awesome! I have run about 1.5 gallons thru it. It handles the bumps like nothing that I have ever driven. Just floats right thru them. As far as people saying its overgeared , I dont agree. I have more acceleration than I have ever had. I had to open the needles to calm it down from what I'm used to. I cant wait to go the Futaba Challenge and Pro Series Finals!

Quincy Hughes
Old 10-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scotty5555
um.... i dont think im that fast, mabey when I can buy a smaller motor to put it in my beast.

P.S. - how did the RG do in the losi?

Scott....You are the fastest!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Actually, most guys that run the SP2 swap out the 46T spur for the 48T spur gear. But most use the 13T clutchbell still so the car is geared very low for quick acceleration and lower top speed. The Mugen is 13/46 and I don't know anyone that runs the 44T spur or a 14/46 combo.

The taller gearing on the Losi with the 14/48 will offer less wheel spin and better top-end, but I'd gather that most guys will want to run the 13T clutchbell for the extra bottom-end snap (unless you're running on a huge high speed track like the World'd in Indonesia). If I recall, Pavidas and the other Kyosho factory team drivers all ran 13/48 in their SP2's at the Nats at the Farm2 this past summer. Even though the track had that huge long front straight, the races were won inside and the extra snap helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.