Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 04:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

JBracing, I just put the fiaroni clutch on mine and it works great.... I used ofna clutch bells because the losi is way to tall and also you will have to shim the flywheel or the clutch bell forward just a hair...
Old 10-05-2006, 04:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hmmmmmm it worked huh Steve???

I didn't even think of looking at it in the car with a standard clutch bell on it. I kept trying to put the Losi Bell on the slider thinking that would be the only way it would reach the spur gear. I'll have to look at it again tonight. Good to know I have a few options till Losi get the new material shoes to the public.

I have my Jammin setup on it now but I still need to get by the hobby shop for some of those 3x5mm shims to make the Jammin clutch work with the losi bell.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SCUBA STEVE
JBracing, I just put the fiaroni clutch on mine and it works great.... I used ofna clutch bells because the losi is way to tall and also you will have to shim the flywheel or the clutch bell forward just a hair...
So which shoes should I replace? all 4?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking Wow.....

Aaron those are some cool colors! Our local club had a lot of eights in the Expert main on Tuesday. We were all solid colors. LOL!

The cars are very consistant and there is not too much that upsets them. If you are out of line the car seems to come out of it unscathed. There is one guy here that runs for Losi and he is smoking fast every time he puts the car down. The sick thing is he gets faster every time he goes back.

Very impressive suspension!

The shocks seem to come loose on guys where the screw goes in. Pay attention if you are building the kit for the first time. You might build the shocks first and let the Loctite dry real good before you fill them with oil.

On our slick track the heavy diff oils work real well in keeping the rear end planted. I ended up racing with 3K-5K-4K front to rear. The car was very easy to drive. In a 15 minute main both myself and the leader had 1.8 sec consistancy from beginning to end. That is very good when you consider pit stops as well. I think the Losi guy is even running heavier oils in his diffs.

Nothing came loose on any of the cars and and every one finished with a smile on their face.

Losi you guys did a great job!

I'm running a regular clutch setup with Mugen flywheel, 3 carbon shoes with 1.0 springs and a 13T clutch bell. I had to shim it forward quite a bit to reach the spur gear. I didn't like the gear ratio with the 14T bell on the stock setup. I haven't tried the shoes to know how they wear for myself. The Losi guys are seeing about a gallon of fuel before they are no good. I understand new shoes may be comming. I only made this decision because our track is real tight and twisty.

Scotty your car looked real good! Almost time to move you up!!!

Good stuff!
TEX
<------ Not done yet!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

Rdeppen, Yes the fioroni works great it actually lifted my front end off the ground about a 1/2 inch when I was just testing it in the parking lot... that's pretty cool considering I am running alot of droop....I am running all three springs so I can tone it down if I want but I like it!!..The ofna clutch bell works really well as long as it is shimmed correctly If you need me to I can take it apart and tell you excactly what size the shims are I can, but it's pretty easy to figure out...

JBracing, If you use the fioroni clutch you will use the fioroni turbo slider shoes...and they last a long time!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

The Losi clutch doesn't wear out fast. The reason people are thinking that it does or having "issues" with the clutch is that none of the cars are geared right until the 13t clutch bell is available and most people may not have tweaked the clutch set up to make it not slip from the gearing being too tall. So if you let your clutch slip no matter which brand/type it is....it will have more than normal wear. So when the 13t bell is available the stock clutch setup will be the bomb, and assuming the clutch will fit on other cars I think the Losi clutch will replace the Kyosho clutch most people put on their cars.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Silly question: how does one go about tweaking the clutch setup to prevent said premature wear?
Old 10-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

captain you would use a softer spring. I don't know the rates of the stock springs match up but they are by color. A softer clutch spring will engage sooner and won't slip as much
Old 10-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Makes sense. This would be my first nitro vehicle, so I'm still in the learning process.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just a thought
but I say 13T bell is bigger geared than 14T
so it will slip even more....
Old 10-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedy2
just a thought
but I say 13T bell is bigger geared than 14T
so it will slip even more....

Sorry there Speedy but your gearing thoughs are azzbackwards.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The 8ight comes with a 14/48 bell and spur. Most other buggies come with a 13/46 and offer 44t spurs as an option. I don't know if the 8ight has the same internal ratios in the gearboxes as other buggies but I don't think that the gearing is far off at all. It think that mixing aluminum and carbon shoes in the same clutch is always going to wear faster. The aluminum coats the bell in a rough surface and eats the soft carbons. I rhink I will run a Mugen clutch until I can get my hands on 2 more carbon shoes. That should be a good setup that lasts.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey slobba, I have a 13 t clutch bell, nanny nanny boo boo
Old 10-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Tech Rookie

13T for Losi 8ight . its on backorder at horizon hobby.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Davidka hit it on the head. The 8ight has very slightly lower geared with the kit 14T / 48T combo (3.42) vs the 13T / 46T (3.53) common to other buggies. The closest you can get to the 3.53 would be with the optional Losi 47T spur and 13T clutch, which would put you at 3.61, but you would be undergeared slightly. The 8ight is geared higher than the 14T / 46T (3.28) equivelant.

I think it would be very heard to tell, if not impossible, between a Losi 13 T/47T and other 13T/46T. I've often swapped between 13T / 14T (with 46T spur) on other buggies, and I just felt more comfortable with the pull of a 13T clutch. I think the Losi 14 / 48 gives me that top end advantage, and still offering the pull of a 13T clutch bell.

My X1-CR FT and 777 Sp-2 have 13T / 43T diff gears, as the 8ight does, so internal gearing on them are the same.

I remember Drake saying something about the choice that Losi made in kit gearing that it has something to do with modern .21 power bands. The 13T / 36T choice has been that way for years - and is a little dated, and newer, more powerful motors are more common. And I believe this subtle gear ratio change and clutch design are some big keys to the sucess of the 8ight - Sure everything else plays a part, you do have to be able to lay that power down.

Mixing alum and carbon shoes will definately increase wear on the carbon shoes. I've also noticed that the alum shoes don't grip as well due to the carbon residue on other clutches. I haven't noticed any problems with my Losi clutch with either 13T or 14T bells.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.