Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree188Likes

It needs to be said!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 03:53 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by nitrous36
I think he meant theyre one of the few sports you can "walk in" to from off the streets, through playing at your local parks or clubs and entering tournaments. The avenue to most other pro sports is through college. Until recently it was possible to go straight to the NBA from highschool, but I think they've since tightened the requirements. Bowling and pool(billiards) are the only other exceptions.
True. With many open places for even the worlds any new person can pay all the fee and drive the worlds. On one side it is awesome that it is possible, on the other side it can create wrong expectations.
With a coached training program and starting with cub and maybe regional racing people will get a better idea of how difficult it is to reach the top and that only good (and matbe sponsored) equipment is a waste if you can not handle it.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

OK...
Both sides are correct, to some point. However, RC racing is considered a sport, by pure definition of the word "sport," which means any form of physical or mental skill used in a competitive manor. RC racing would fall under this. You might argue that a sport is a physically strenuous competitive activity and not activity where you are mostly minimally moving. Well, would you then call golf a sport? That doesn't require any strenuous movement. You stand there, swing at a ball, jump in your cart, and chase it. Heck, you don't even have to carry your own clubs. How about chess, billiards, darts, playing poker, or trap shooting? These are all known as sports.

RC is a sport, it just might not be considered an athletic sport or a manly sport. Most people may consider it as just a hobby. Well, if loved to play soccer on any level, you would say soccer was one of your hobbies. Therefore, RC racing is a sport that you would call your hobby.
nitrous36 likes this.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:07 PM
Tech Prophet

I think he meant theyre one of the few sports you can "walk in" to from off the streets, through playing at your local parks or clubs and entering tournaments. The avenue to most other pro sports is through college. Until recently it was possible to go straight to the NBA from highschool, but I think they've since tightened the requirements. Bowling and pool(billiards) are the only other exceptions.
The last true “walk on” I the NFL was back in the 70s. Only a few jumped from the XFL( original). In golf i know it’s possible for amateur to qualify for US Open, but can’t for the Masters. There’s the NBA D-League, but those are not just guys on the street. I actually forgot about bowling or billiards

I was think more of the major sports since Rugby was mentioned. Not that that’s a major sport in the States.

Back in 90s, I worked with a guy that spent 3 years in the Arena Football league because he was convinced it could get him to NFL. But he never saw a teammate move on beyond the league.
nitrous36 likes this.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:13 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
OK...
Both sides are correct, to some point. However, RC racing is considered a sport, by pure definition of the word "sport," which means any form of physical or mental skill used in a competitive manor. RC racing would fall under this. You might argue that a sport is a physically strenuous competitive activity and not activity where you are mostly minimally moving. Well, would you then call golf a sport? That doesn't require any strenuous movement. You stand there, swing at a ball, jump in your cart, and chase it. Heck, you don't even have to carry your own clubs. How about chess, billiards, darts, playing poker, or trap shooting? These are all known as sports.

RC is a sport, it just might not be considered an athletic sport or a manly sport. Most people may consider it as just a hobby. Well, if loved to play soccer on any level, you would say soccer was one of your hobbies. Therefore, RC racing is a sport that you would call your hobby.
You're right. Its a bit of a line drawing fallacy. And we start down a slippery slope. Its like that with harassment and what is and isnt offensive now.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:14 PM
Tech Prophet

OK...

I believe the original definition of “sport” required the actual risk of death. Everything else was considering a game. Bull fighting, boxing, Motorsports.

Look at how well E-Sports are being received, depending on age. Now that’s actually lead a few into actual racing. But I’ve not heard how successful any have been.

Old 06-30-2021, 04:37 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
The last true “walk on” I the NFL was back in the 70s. Only a few jumped from the XFL( original). In golf i know it’s possible for amateur to qualify for US Open, but can’t for the Masters. There’s the NBA D-League, but those are not just guys on the street. I actually forgot about bowling or billiards

I was think more of the major sports since Rugby was mentioned. Not that that’s a major sport in the States.

Back in 90s, I worked with a guy that spent 3 years in the Arena Football league because he was convinced it could get him to NFL. But he never saw a teammate move on beyond the league.
Honestly I think the requirement from sports that you go to college stems from the stereotype that athletes are dumb or more brawns than brains. So they started requiring college to counter that image. Of course the colleges don't mind because it brings in money. And then they undermind it by passing good players along despite poor or failing grades. Which furthers the image of players being dumb. The very image they tried to counter initially.

RC racing is a sport, like golf, chess and... gaming. The thing is, because its "toy" cars and planes and not real cars or planes, its hard for people outside of RC to take it seriously. If they can make an argument for videogames, then yeah why not RC too. People who take their fantasy leagues(and playing Madden) seriously, have no room to laugh at RC.
OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would have to say that I have had a lot of rc cars and mostly bashed them around, but had an oval where I grew up so did race to some degree just not circuit. Obviously the rc’s that I had setup for bashing was different than a track runner. The last several years I prefer to race if I can or just send it on a week day..
Only been in 1/8 for a handful of years but never bash around my 1/8 rigs unless I need to test something, prior to this been mostly 1/10 on and off road.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:46 PM
Tech Prophet

Honestly I think the requirement from sports that you go to college stems from the stereotype that athletes are dumb or more brawns than brains. So they started requiring college to counter that image. Of course the colleges don't mind because it brings in money. And then they undermind it by passing good players along despite poor or failing grades. Which furthers the image of players being dumb. The very image they tried to counter initially.

RC racing is a sport, like golf, chess and... gaming. The thing is, because its "toy" cars and planes and not real cars or planes, its hard for people outside of RC to take it seriously. If they can make an argument for videogames, then yeah why not RC too. People who take their fantasy leagues(and playing Madden) seriously, have no room to laugh at RC.
Think of all the money NBA/NFL teams saved by having a free minor league in college sports. Where MLB owners were forced to fund minor leagues. Even most college baseball player go to minors first.

I’m not opposed to a pro league. Just can’t see how it would work. Takes money. With spectators not a part of RC racing. That money has to come from somewhere else. Drone racing got a kickstart because a couple very rich guys put up money. Our side hasn’t found that billionaire yet.

There’s big money in video game leagues. One of my nephews classmates dad few years ago made his living playing in tournaments. Gamers will stop playing to watch or even attend in person. I don’t know any I race with that would skip a raceday to watch on tv.

nitrous36 likes this.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

I’m not opposed to a pro league. Just can’t see how it would work. Takes money. With spectators not a part of RC racing. That money has to come from somewhere else. Drone racing got a kickstart because a couple very rich guys put up money. Our side hasn’t found that billionaire yet.
They take a look at hows it run now and the attitude's of grown men around Rc cars and say hell no im not touching that.
nitrous36 likes this.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by MonsterJuice
They take a look at hows it run now and the attitude's of grown men around Rc cars and say hell no im not touching that.
Fortunately, I’ve not been around any with attitudes. Even when the pro teams where in for a race in February I know it was once a big thing at a previous track before I started racing.

Horizon Hobby is currently in a 4 race deal as main sponsor on a NASCAR. Far wider exposure for the company. Now they could have used that money to put on a big money invitation only pro race. Maybe showcase that new company they just added(AKA). But an event like that would get what kind of exposure beyond those that already are involved
Old 06-30-2021, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think tennis is probably the best comparison when it comes to competing at the highest levels in the sport of RC cars. In tennis there is nothing stopping anyone from reaching the top levels of the game, except your natural ability and dedication. To earn a living in tennis you need to roughly have a world ranking of around 150. You won't be super rich but you can support yourself as long as you are not traveling with a full time coach, physio etc. You either win or lose a match. There are not any coaches, colleges or governing bodies that can prevent you from winning or participating. You definitely do not need college. Most professional tennis players do not go to college.

Rc cars is very much the same. You either win or lose the race. No one person or organization can prevent you from participating in a race. You pay your entry fee and let your hard work and talent do the rest. In other sports coaches and institutions can make it a lot tougher to succeed if they do not want to help you. Of course in both RC and tennis you need money and good training. This is true in any endeavor but again nobody can prevent you from achieving your potential, whatever that may be. Of course tennis is a lot more expensive than RC cars if you are trying to compete at the highest levels even as a junior.

Jared Tebo is an excellent example of this. He entered Silver State when he was 13 years old and TQ'd gas truck.

It is not correct to say you can pick up tennis as a teenager or young adult and compete at the highest levels. There are hundreds of thousands of young kids training tennis 6 days a week trying to become a touring professional. 80% of them will never achieve a level to even play D1 college tennis, let alone playing at the professional level.
OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:40 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Payton 34
It is not correct to say you can pick up tennis as a teenager or young adult and compete at the highest levels. There are hundreds of thousands of young kids training tennis 6 days a week trying to become a touring professional. 80% of them will never achieve a level to even play D1 college tennis, let alone playing at the professional level.
You're right. I was saying in comparison to other sports, its possible(in theory) that you could play tennis or golf and work your way in. Because as you said, there is no college or the politics of coaches and teams to stall you. Motorsports is kind of similar. Kids start training at 5 years old racing kart to become professional. You must start early and most don't make it. There have been a few exceptions of people who started racing late in their teens/early 20s and still made it pro. But unlike tennis or golf, racing has a ton of governing bodies and politics to stop you, but with deep enough pockets you can still buy your way in.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

RC will neve be a huger sport because there isn't enough excitement in it. Their too small and there's no danger in it, except for the marshals.

It is true that RC is just a some people playing with their toy car. However, what is golf? Technically it's just a tiny ball that you hit with a club then go chase it. Therefore, it's just a game of smacking a tiny ball around a field to get it in a hole. This became a huge sport because it was a game for rich people. Driving around a toy car doesn't sound as silly as smacking a tiny ball around a field to make it into a hole.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:55 PM
Tech Lord

RC will neve be a huger sport because there isn't enough excitement in it. Their too small and there's no danger in it, except for the marshals.
I do not agree with you. The reason it does not get the right attention to grow is that there is no large sum of money involved. I believe that Raywood have shown that a good report with more camera positions is possible. It may go quick but with the right speake it will be good to follow by everyone which is important to bring over the excitement. Getting a whole competition season on TV takes a lot of money, money most organisations do not have so it will not happen than only some articles about these super toys as most people do see it, not as a real sports.

A few years ago there was a guy that put some milions into covering drone racing and there it was on Eurosport. That is just what you need, getting people interested into the competition and sports through the better TV stations as a true motorsport.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
I do not agree with you. The reason it does not get the right attention to grow is that there is no large sum of money involved. I believe that Raywood have shown that a good report with more camera positions is possible. It may go quick but with the right speake it will be good to follow by everyone which is important to bring over the excitement. Getting a whole competition season on TV takes a lot of money, money most organisations do not have so it will not happen than only some articles about these super toys as most people do see it, not as a real sports.

A few years ago there was a guy that put some milions into covering drone racing and there it was on Eurosport. That is just what you need, getting people interested into the competition and sports through the better TV stations as a true motorsport.

I totally agree. That is what I meant by golf making it because it is a rich man's sport. There's endless money in it. With drone racing, there was a lot of money put up for it, but it didn't draw enough attention from rich people or the media to keep it growing. Out here in the U.S., drone racing is more dead than RC submarine racing. But ya, if there were big payouts, then there would be a flock of support and coverage.

Back in 1985 or 1986, there was a track in San Luis Obispo that was paying a news crew to come out and document the bigger races. It took off for a second, but that was it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.