It needs to be said! >

It needs to be said!

Like Tree89Likes

It needs to be said!

Old 02-18-2021, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default It needs to be said!

Watching the current racing im thinking why have I lost interest not to be at the race a few years ago I would miss the big stuff in my industry to go to, when itís just down the street from me. I have to say these tracks are no fun. One lined, wait for the guy in front of you to make a mistake kind of tracks with nowhere to pass and so fast you almost have to be lucky not to have an issue to get the win. If this is what the pros want then cool, be good at what you do but for me having no options and a track so one lined you have to send it deep off a jump into a corner to put pressure on someone to make that mistake to get by is not racing. Thatís just sending it and hoping your car will stick and not fly off. What happened to bumps, slow sections that challenged you to be a good driver to get threw? Itís becoming something off-road isnít. Iím really beyond trying to understand this hobby, i would rather go back to building a few tracks in my backyard that are fun, you know the kind you can actually pass on because thereís option lines...
Old 02-18-2021, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

agreed.. west coast and southern tracks seem to be wide open big fast tracks in my opinion. being from the midwest we generally have smaller tighter tracks that are looser for traction unless they put down a bunch of calcium.. then they are like running on concrete.
Whitey_Wangster likes this.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:04 PM
Tech Adept

the sportsman and intermediate stuff is far more entertaining than watching the pro's.
But what you mentioned is exactly why nobody wants to put this shit on tv.

I honestly miss what made the racing great, rougher tracks and buggies that could handle it.

i would also like to throw this out there: why do no companies concentrate on making an engine actually easy to tune? as in for the new people who come into the hobby after finding us hidden on youtube, but they flame out 15 times everytime and then quit after a week as its just too hard?
Based on experience our club days would be ATLEAST 5 times bigger if those same guys didnt have engine issues.

J.Whiting and RCDaddy2105 like this.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Piva View Post
Watching the current racing im thinking why have I lost interest not to be at the race a few years ago I would miss the big stuff in my industry to go to, when it’s just down the street from me. I have to say these tracks are no fun. One lined, wait for the guy in front of you to make a mistake kind of tracks with nowhere to pass and so fast you almost have to be lucky not to have an issue to get the win. If this is what the pros want then cool, be good at what you do but for me having no options and a track so one lined you have to send it deep off a jump into a corner to put pressure on someone to make that mistake to get by is not racing. That’s just sending it and hoping your car will stick and not fly off. What happened to bumps, slow sections that challenged you to be a good driver to get threw? It’s becoming something off-road isn’t. I’m really beyond trying to understand this hobby, i would rather go back to building a few tracks in my backyard that are fun, you know the kind you can actually pass on because there’s option lines...
Seems like the tracks design or layouts haven't changed much from when I left several years ago. They seem very similar to any form of racing I've ever watched. Any of it requires consistency and speed to win.

Originally Posted by MonsterJuice View Post
the sportsman and intermediate stuff is far more entertaining than watching the pro's.
But what you mentioned is exactly why nobody wants to put this shit on tv.

I honestly miss what made the racing great, rougher tracks and buggies that could handle it.

i would also like to throw this out there: why do no companies concentrate on making an engine actually easy to tune? as in for the new people who come into the hobby after finding us hidden on youtube, but they flame out 15 times everytime and then quit after a week as its just too hard?
Based on experience our club days would be ATLEAST 5 times bigger if those same guys didnt have engine issues.
First let me say I've been out of the hobby for quite some time and have the itch again. Are there no longer mentors at the track? Local hobby shops aren't around to help with initial tuning and setup? Nitro definitely takes some time to figure out but its not rocket surgery by any means.
ceh329 likes this.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm in my twenties and have tried to get into RC racing a few times when I was younger - nitro and electric on separate occasions - but I couldn't make it to the track on my own and sold my stuff. I just got started again and finally made it to the track and I've been dedicating a few hours a day to my buggy. It's difficult, yes. I love it though and I appreciate learning curves as I feel that's what makes the hobby fun. However It's sometimes frustrating and if it wasn't for the fact that an experienced guy heard my engine running terribly and came up to help me - I probably wouldn't have made it a lap. Let alone had a practice day. He gave me the confidence to know that I can at least have a practice day since worse comes to worse he can just get my motor up to speed again. Mentors are extremely important and I hope to learn as much as I can to try and be a "mentor" myself by the time I'm that experienced. But I feel like there's less and less people willing to go through those trials and revelations to have fun. After all they can just pop in a battery and have instant go.

I love nitro but I wouldn't be lying if I didn't say I wasn't jealous of those guys that just run battery after battery with zero downtime or tuning headaches. And I've only gone the to track 3 times. I'm giving it my best shot to learn but I don't think many others would do the same.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J.Whiting View Post
agreed.. west coast and southern tracks seem to be wide open big fast tracks in my opinion. being from the midwest we generally have smaller tighter tracks that are looser for traction unless they put down a bunch of calcium.. then they are like running on concrete.

This might be true for outdoor tracks, but indoor tracks are another story.
J.Whiting likes this.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Pin2Win View Post
First let me say I've been out of the hobby for quite some time and have the itch again. Are there no longer mentors at the track? Local hobby shops aren't around to help with initial tuning and setup? Nitro definitely takes some time to figure out but its not rocket surgery by any means.
Yes there is, but what happens when they are by themself? I sure love helping people but sometimes I just want to have fun myself and chill.

But thats not the point, Look at Motocross - you buy a bike and the gear, in general they run without touching the engines if you want to - you turn up to the tracks and there is 15 different lines into a corner which makes the tracks fun, you run it over and over weekend after weekend, engine eventually feels low on power - take to shop - needs a rebuild $500 do-it-yourself and then you get anther heap of hours out of it. MX is huge compared to RC.

Theres no doubt people like Drake are helpful but they are very busy - but JQ is on target with when making videos to explain those little important details and the big thing everyone new doesnt know and never gets told, the idle gap. - just shame the car is old an sh1t.

I still have my Nitro buggy and truggy but our electric clubs have so many people now - good reliable brushless systems like HW(that actually let you run all day without a meltdown) the high charge rates of lipos and chargers now means i can turn up with several batteries and pretty much run all day... and best of all - i can be the only person there an still enjoy myself. running nitro is basically a 2 person job.

Pin2Win, Goof, Solico and 2 others like this.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I guess for me it seems that no purchase necessary sweepstakes have fallen to the track side and have to be there half way across the country for a chance to win nice products. Most manufacturers no longer accept coupons or discounts. Medium size cities local shops seem to no longer support the local racing or track scene, a large machine implement dealer sponsors some events L0L and a hobby shop about 2 hours away has ten times more than both lhs

I won stuff before back in the late 90’s but all that disappeared.
Sad to say that but richard can enter and only the richard wins\o/ yay what used to be a sweepstakes now is a salt rub on a poster flyer.
Solico likes this.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ive always wondered matt piva i know the screename is fake and youve kinda hinted. are you one of the alessi bros?
1/8 IC Fan and Goof like this.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MonsterJuice View Post
Yes there is, but what happens when they are by themself? I sure love helping people but sometimes I just want to have fun myself and chill.

But thats not the point, Look at Motocross - you buy a bike and the gear, in general they run without touching the engines if you want to - you turn up to the tracks and there is 15 different lines into a corner which makes the tracks fun, you run it over and over weekend after weekend, engine eventually feels low on power - take to shop - needs a rebuild $500 do-it-yourself and then you get anther heap of hours out of it. MX is huge compared to RC.

Theres no doubt people like Drake are helpful but they are very busy - but JQ is on target with when making videos to explain those little important details and the big thing everyone new doesnt know and never gets told, the idle gap. - just shame the car is old an sh1t.

I still have my Nitro buggy and truggy but our electric clubs have so many people now - good reliable brushless systems like HW(that actually let you run all day without a meltdown) the high charge rates of lipos and chargers now means i can turn up with several batteries and pretty much run all day... and best of all - i can be the only person there an still enjoy myself. running nitro is basically a 2 person job.
No argument from me about nitro being more difficult to run. But honestly anyone has access to some of the very best information from the top level pros at your finger tips.(smartphone/youtube) I can say when I started I was lucky enough to have good people around me to help along with years of mechanic knowledge. I think most people get intimidated with nitro because there is much more going on. Electric is awesome to get new people into the hobby. I think after they get the "bug" transitioning to nitro is easier because you have support from your local racers.
RCDaddy2105 likes this.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

This hobby is flat out awesome. DNC have been awesome. The track, the battles, just awesome. My only complaint is, I couldn't be there. Well and the freakin track cutting...

Nitro 1/8 is NOT for everyone and there will always be tuning involved unless its computerized. If our real cars didn't have computers, you will need to adjust stuff all the time when the weather changed, altitude, or if you add a performance exhaust. I don't care what anyone say, this is a hobby, and the best are just marketing employees. When RC drivers are making SX riders money, then we can talk. One line racing, tell that to F1.... ijs
Solico likes this.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Are yall watchin this? 3 wide racing......
phattracker likes this.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

went to sleep at the end sorry, as we just seen the track was the decider in positions, anther track that was very hard to pass on and it was the track that caused a pass.
the coverage and event could never be on TV to the masses. if you didnt know who they were youd have no idea what was going on.
Still need to remove this whole million different tyres and for nitro add in tyre changes for these big races, really spice it up

Also why we still racing the clock and not each other?
Solico and phattracker like this.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Some of the best racing I’ve seen at the DNC in all classes and division.. this definitely wasn’t a line track...
Old 02-24-2021, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

How should a multi-lap race be determined? Either Over all time, or total laps. I guess you can do stages like Nascar, but alot of people don't like that. Either by laps or time, racers will be spread out and lapped. Happens at almost every level of racing. There's alot that goes into racing, including battling the track and not making mistakes. The DNC is made to be hard and challenging for everyone. People pay alot of money for this challenge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.