Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree521Likes

TLR 8ightX

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-15-2019, 09:43 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 8ightX
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: 1/8 IC Fan
TLR Eight X

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Matt Piva
Does anyone use after market shock caps and also shock pistons on their X?

I'm planning to get fast race caps and the bladders that come with them. They are said to 'stiffen the top stroke' so I'm interested but also don't think mip will work well with these.
has anyone found a good balance inside with aftermarket pistons for a set up that's soft and then a set up for stiff?
I use to run MIP pistons. After trying the TLR 5 hole taper piston, I wont be going back to MIP. As far as the bladders, TLR has reinforced bladders. Im not looking for anymore stiffness in my car....
Old 07-29-2020, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
I use to run MIP pistons. After trying the TLR 5 hole taper piston, I wont be going back to MIP. As far as the bladders, TLR has reinforced bladders. Im not looking for anymore stiffness in my car....
that's very interesting because I got an x from the sale threads couple months ago and it had the 5 holes front and rear, only thing was the REAR pistons had a single tiny extra hole in the pistons maybe .8mm, is this the newest package? The elite shocks I believe came with 8 holes stock tapered rear and 8 hole piston flat front so that would mean you like the original x shock package 5 hole pistons with 1 hole bored out or a tiny extra hole correct with 3.5mm shock shafts? I have a set built with stock 5 hole with 4mm shafts no extra hole, I can switch the rear pistons to the extra hole, what weight oils? What's the feel difference between 8 hole and 5?

also have a bearing issue if you know of a tool that can get bearing out of the rear hub, the aluminum rear hubs bearing clearance was so tight I had to take a dremel with a metal brush tip and get the anodization off for the bearing to fit, so it was pushed in with some heat ideally like an engine bearing is put in, however now even with a torch I can't get the inner bearing out. I'm not sure a bearing puller for our engines will fit but it is on the inner bearing and I'm using deep yolk so that inner bearing is like the 4.0 it has a bigger diameter bearing inner side. If I can make a ideal bearing puller I will go to home depot if anyone has any ideas what I can get that would fit. Or if they make a bearing puller that fits in rite spots I will get it cause it's going to take a lot of force. I spent a hole day trying to remove 1 and nothing even got it to move so I had to go buy another set of hubs to get threw the race weekend. But now i have 2 sets of hubs with permanent bearings stuck in them and that bearing doesn't last long in the back hubs so I gotta find a solution to get these bearings out.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

that's very interesting because I got an x from the sale threads couple months ago and it had the 5 holes front and rear, only thing was the REAR pistons had a single tiny extra hole in the pistons maybe .8mm, is this the newest package? The elite shocks I believe came with 8 holes stock tapered rear and 8 hole piston flat front so that would mean you like the original x shock package 5 hole pistons with 1 hole bored out or a tiny extra hole correct with 3.5mm shock shafts? I have a set built with stock 5 hole with 4mm shafts no extra hole, I can switch the rear pistons to the extra hole, what weight oils? What's the feel difference between 8 hole and 5?

also have a bearing issue if you know of a tool that can get bearing out of the rear hub, the aluminum rear hubs bearing clearance was so tight I had to take a dremel with a metal brush tip and get the anodization off for the bearing to fit, so it was pushed in with some heat ideally like an engine bearing is put in, however now even with a torch I can't get the inner bearing out. I'm not sure a bearing puller for our engines will fit but it is on the inner bearing and I'm using deep yolk so that inner bearing is like the 4.0 it has a bigger diameter bearing inner side. If I can make a ideal bearing puller I will go to home depot if anyone has any ideas what I can get that would fit. Or if they make a bearing puller that fits in rite spots I will get it cause it's going to take a lot of force. I spent a hole day trying to remove 1 and nothing even got it to move so I had to go buy another set of hubs to get threw the race weekend. But now i have 2 sets of hubs with permanent bearings stuck in them and that bearing doesn't last long in the back hubs so I gotta find a solution to get these bearings out.
No.... 5 hole TAPERED pistons.... PN: TLR243030 Rear has one 1.9mm hole I think.... Gotta check the setup sheet I posted.

Bearing: ME, I just get a screwdriver and a hammer... Now, when I run the deep yoke, I just use the plastic hub. Never ever broke one..

Old 07-29-2020, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

No.... 5 hole TAPERED pistons.... PN: TLR243030 Rear has one 1.9mm hole I think.... Gotta check the setup sheet I posted.

Bearing: ME, I just get a screwdriver and a hammer... Now, when I run the deep yoke, I just use the plastic hub. Never ever broke one..
I've tried using force with a torch without success. I really need a bearing puller for this I imagine. I wonder if I cut the inner race of the bearing out maybe that will relieve it enough for it to come out. If not I'm really screwed then.

so tapered all 4 shocks, that means one side of the piston has a rounded shape correct? I think I only saw the 8 hole tapered and not the 5 hole, is this a new piston? I have 5 hole pistons but all are flat
Old 07-30-2020, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

I've tried using force with a torch without success. I really need a bearing puller for this I imagine. I wonder if I cut the inner race of the bearing out maybe that will relieve it enough for it to come out. If not I'm really screwed then.

so tapered all 4 shocks, that means one side of the piston has a rounded shape correct? I think I only saw the 8 hole tapered and not the 5 hole, is this a new piston? I have 5 hole pistons but all are flat
Pistons been out since January 17, 2014
Old 07-30-2020, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Pistons been out since January 17, 2014
I should have a set then, I was going to say I remember those being in the 3.0 or 4.0 a while back. 42.5 front and 37.5 rear pools right?
Old 08-02-2020, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey guys, is the X the current 8? Is it being replaced any time soon? Cheers
Old 08-02-2020, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jtrmx250
Hey guys, is the X the current 8? Is it being replaced any time soon? Cheers
8X Elite is the current version, I can't answer the replacement question exactly but I doubt it - it's a great platform.

In Australia the support for the 8X and 8X Elite is absolutely phenomenal, if your LHS doesn't have the part you need, you can order from Model Flight online and get the part in a couple of days typically.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by v0rtex
8X Elite is the current version, I can't answer the replacement question exactly but I doubt it - it's a great platform.

In Australia the support for the 8X and 8X Elite is absolutely phenomenal, if your LHS doesn't have the part you need, you can order from Model Flight online and get the part in a couple of days typically.
Thanks
Old 08-03-2020, 02:25 AM
Tech Master

Does anyone find it neccessary to change from the losi clutch to aftermarket brand clutch system? Or does the losi aluminum and steel flywheel with the optional aluminum and composite shoes provide equal performance compared to these other clutches on the market that might be from a clutch based company say like a buku? I've personally never tried any other clutches then what came stock with the cars or from what's in my losi clutch box which I've even used the silver long wear shoes and personally loved them. I've also always liked a clutch that bites so I usually run an aggressive set up with either aluminum and green springs mixed with gold or I will run a composite aluminum mix with all golds. I'm pretty aggressive like I said so it gets me thinking if maybe I would in fact like an alternative clutch from the market. Let me know your thoughts. I'm also running a very slimmed up drivetrain.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

No need to run anything different for performance... TLR has the original 4 show clutch. All others are just copies.....
RandyJones likes this.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Does anyone find it neccessary to change from the losi clutch to aftermarket brand clutch system? Or does the losi aluminum and steel flywheel with the optional aluminum and composite shoes provide equal performance compared to these other clutches on the market that might be from a clutch based company say like a buku? I've personally never tried any other clutches then what came stock with the cars or from what's in my losi clutch box which I've even used the silver long wear shoes and personally loved them. I've also always liked a clutch that bites so I usually run an aggressive set up with either aluminum and green springs mixed with gold or I will run a composite aluminum mix with all golds. I'm pretty aggressive like I said so it gets me thinking if maybe I would in fact like an alternative clutch from the market. Let me know your thoughts. I'm also running a very slimmed up drivetrain.
i find myself trying to put the tlr clutch on other vehicles.
token likes this.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pballer2777
i find myself trying to put the tlr clutch on other vehicles.
my Tekno Truggy is running a TLR clutch. Ha ha ha!
Old 08-11-2020, 02:27 AM
Tech Regular

what is "deep yolk cvd" ?
how is affect the handling of the car ?
Old 08-11-2020, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Marco926
what is "deep yolk cvd" ?
how is affect the handling of the car ?
You can skip to 23:00 for the Driveshafts...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.