Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree7772Likes

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think it is, and I'm wondering if that is the reason CA never seems to hold for long when used to fix a cracked body. Always seems to break along same crack when impacted. Do you know what the white bodies are made of?
AlvBo likes this.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:54 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Traveler2
I think it is, and I'm wondering if that is the reason CA never seems to hold for long when used to fix a cracked body. Always seems to break along same crack when impacted. Do you know what the white bodies are made of?
i haven’t tried it yet. But they group I race with recommend using shoe goo over glue.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I believe it’s ABS, this is why I suggested Plastruct product. You apply it to the seam and it reacts with the ABS creating a bond weld.

You could then place a coat of U6000 if you like. It’s much better than Shoegoo.. it’s basically the same glue but much lighter .. eg not as thick.

To avoid clear plastic from fogging using CA, Apply a swab of shock oil, or Vaseline on clear area.. this way the CA won’t attack and fog it
AlvBo likes this.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:09 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks! I have used Tamiya Extra-Thin Cement to fix cracked bodies, and it does much better than CA. It also doesn't stick to your fingers, like CA. Wonder if it is similar to the Plastruct product.

I'm really into building/tuning/racing Mini-Zs, and love a good looking body, but I'm trying real hard not to get into body painting and assembly, but I'm loosing that fight... I have zero plastic model experience and don't have the time or skill to get into it.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Correct. Tamiya Extra Thin is similar to Plastruct. Tamiya now also has a quick set cement which is even better
AlvBo likes this.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Traveler2
Thanks! I have used Tamiya Extra-Thin Cement to fix cracked bodies, and it does much better than CA. It also doesn't stick to your fingers, like CA. Wonder if it is similar to the Plastruct product.

I'm really into building/tuning/racing Mini-Zs, and love a good looking body, but I'm trying real hard not to get into body painting and assembly, but I'm loosing that fight... I have zero plastic model experience and don't have the time or skill to get into it.
First body will seem like work. After that they go together quick. I’m not picky about fogged windows or lens. They get run and hit.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:37 AM
Tech Champion

Its also different than a model kit as you just have to paint the body.. not all the bits and pieces like engine, suspension, gluing.. so not very hard.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TRAVELER
I think it is, and I'm wondering if that is the reason CA never seems to hold for long when used to fix a cracked body. Always seems to break along same crack when impacted.

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
i haven’t tried it yet. But they group I race with recommend using shoe goo over glue.

I have a theory about this, not even very complicated. Adhesives like Shoe Goo, Goop, etc. remain somewhat soft when cured, and this allows the energy of a blow to be absorbed and dissipated better than a hard, solid adhesive like CA. I often pre-emptively put a squirt of Shoe Goo and spread it thinly in the nose area of my cars to keep them from breaking in the first place. I also like using it for body clips, as there's been more than one time I wanted to reposition them, and Shoe Goo allows for this fairly easily. Plus, I think that little bit of gooey adhesive on the side helps absorb energy.
Traveler2, Billy Kelly and AlvBo like this.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:06 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by superfly05

I also like using it for body clips, as there's been more than one time I wanted to reposition them, and Shoe Goo allows for this fairly easily.
Side clips are one place I will use CA, a tiny drop is enough to hold them for me but they are still easy to remove.

FYI, I do run solo so I do not have to deal with car to car collisions.

Cheers,
Jim
AlvBo likes this.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by LJH
Side clips are one place I will use CA, a tiny drop is enough to hold them for me but they are still easy to remove.

Cheers,
Jim
Someday I hope you get a chance to watch your car get hit repeatedly by every other car on the track. It’s something to watch when we get a new driver. As much as we try to warn them that collisions happen. They are never ready.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by LJH

Cheers,
Jim
This is one of my favorite parts of the M96WC!!! I don't miss the wrecks!
AlvBo likes this.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Someday I hope you get a chance to watch your car get hit repeatedly by every other car on the track. It’s something to watch when we get a new driver. As much as we try to warn them that collisions happen. They are never ready.
It's usually a nice, brand-new Autoscale, too. Kind of doing the cringe-shrug, knowing the bright, shiny new toy will be going home without mirrors, headlight lenses and the spoiler.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks everyone for their tire advice. Now I have a follow up question...
On the M96 track, the rougher side has more grip, but it's slower? I would think, more grip means better traction? What am I missing, or am I misunderstanding..
AlvBo likes this.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by MrTexR
Thanks everyone for their tire advice. Now I have a follow up question...
On the M96 track, the rougher side has more grip, but it's slower? I would think, more grip means better traction? What am I missing, or am I misunderstanding..
You’ll get different opinions here. I was a over half second faster on the rough side then smooth side when I ran the standard mini96 layout.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello guys, I'm kind of new to RC world. Bought xmaxx and e-revo like 5-6 months ago but now i want to make something for indoors. But im lost.

Now i will buy 2 of Mini-Z, so should i go with RTR or chassis kits? if i go with chassis kits which one should i go? I was thinking about 4100 kV, because its cheaper and better suited for me, but i read here it doesn't have ball diff. So 5600 kV is best choice for me i think (sp additions also a good bonus, there are 40$ difference in 4100 kv and 5600 kV). What do you think? Maybe i can get one mr 5600 kV and one ma 8500 kV? Because wife will use one of the cars awd might help her, right?

I'm lost about transmitters too, should i get budged Kyosho KT-18 or go higher and buy 4pm? Biggest problem is whatever i buy, i have to buy 2x. So what is my best option in terms of price and performance. Some people said KT-18 is a toy grade transmitter so i don't know, there is a 100$ difference between them.

Last thing is about track, I have a space of 3x3 meters for track, 3x4 at max. Can i make my own track or should i buy prebuild?

Thats lots of questions i know, but im so happy i found a Mini-Z forum! Thanks!
AlvBo likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.