Like Tree7772Likes

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 06:38 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
First 5 40 lap runs have been completed with the 70T. It’s better on smooth side then it was on rough side. But overall my opinion remains. I do not like this motor. Still got a lot more running to go with it.
The Better Half and Wee man headed to VT last night and I elected to stay home this weekend....First round of the WRC is this weekend in Monte Carlo and Men's World Cup Downhill is at Kitzbuhel so lots of good sporting events to keep me occupied. BTW, Monte Carlo was off to a crazy start today with the 2019 WRC World Champion Ott Tanak crashing out hard on SS4 at over 100mph...... Amazing how strong these cars are as well as a bunch of luck that no one was hurt, that was a scary crash.

On the 70T motor, I was running both my Stock Cars, which have PN70's in them, last night and was thinking about Billy's post on the drag brake. I did some testing coming off the throttle about 2/3rds down the main straight on this months M96WC track and both my Stock Cars coasted a good 10 tiles which includes a 90* turn. This makes me think that Billy has some binding somewhere. How is your gear lash? Can you get a little rock of the spur gear without the pinion moving? Is your left hand wheel nut too tight. do your front wheels have hair wrapped around the axle? Are tires rubbing on the body at all?

I just find it weird that you are experiencing this with two motors and that the results are SO different from what I, and many others, are seeing.

Cheers,
Jim
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:09 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LJH
The Better Half and Wee man headed to VT last night and I elected to stay home this weekend....First round of the WRC is this weekend in Monte Carlo and Men's World Cup Downhill is at Kitzbuhel so lots of good sporting events to keep me occupied. BTW, Monte Carlo was off to a crazy start today with the 2019 WRC World Champion Ott Tanak crashing out hard on SS4 at over 100mph...... Amazing how strong these cars are as well as a bunch of luck that no one was hurt, that was a scary crash. Here is video of the crash.

On the 70T motor, I was running both my Stock Cars, which have PN70's in them, last night and was thinking about Billy's post on the drag brake. I did some testing coming off the throttle about 2/3rds down the main straight on this months M96WC track and both my Stock Cars coasted a good 10 tiles which includes a 90* turn. This makes me think that Billy has some binding somewhere. How is your gear lash? Can you get a little rock of the spur gear without the pinion moving? Is your left hand wheel nut too tight. do your front wheels have hair wrapped around the axle? Are tires rubbing on the body at all?

I just find it weird that you are experiencing this with two motors and that the results are SO different from what I, and many others, are seeing.

Cheers,
Jim
I’ve become good about checking for debris getting wrapped around front/rear.

Motor went into the bracket tight. But never felt forced. I did remember EMU mentioned that last year. The first motor was very tight. Could not turn the brackets once on the motor. This one I can turn, and unlike the stock motor, the bracket isn’t going to fall off. Probably the quickest I’ve ever had a motor back into the housing.

This is just the start. Unlike last time where fustration took over, not seeing any other options. Knowing that brushless is for races. This is just testing.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

Billy I don't know which transmitter you are using, but try some forward throttle trim if you can. I usually trim it until my car starts rolling then back it off until it stops again. This helps the car roll through the corners better and I have found it helps prevent traction rolling due to the rear tires dragging/sliding into the corners.
The stock 531 transmitter is hard to use forward trim because you will lose reverse when you move the knob to the forward position.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:27 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by MTseo
Billy I don't know which transmitter you are using, but try some forward throttle trim if you can. I usually trim it until my car starts rolling then back it off until it stops again. This helps the car roll through the corners better and I have found it helps prevent traction rolling due to the rear tires dragging/sliding into the corners.
The stock 531 transmitter is hard to use forward trim because you will lose reverse when you move the knob to the forward position.
Yup. Was suggested that on Facebook. Made no improvement, actually almost worse because of the delay it created for reverse.

I kinda what to eventually try it in the RM. But I know the next time the motor housing cover comes off the RM, it’s going to break. And I don’t want to buy another, Ive had 4 RM covers break in last 15 months. 1 from a impact. 3 from just removing/installing it. And can’t find the aluminum replacement anywhere
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:55 AM
Tech Rookie

I had one Kyosho Mini-Z back in the days. Monster Truck model. Very fun, wish I had kept it.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
I kinda what to eventually try it in the RM. But I know the next time the motor housing cover comes off the RM, it’s going to break. And I don’t want to buy another, Ive had 4 RM covers break in last 15 months. 1 from a impact. 3 from just removing/installing it. And can’t find the aluminum replacement anywhere
Xpower makes (made?) a very nice aluminum adjustable rear mount. My friend has it and it is a very well finished part with nice features. It can be used with motors with screw holes or without. Unfortunately I have read that some people are having trouble with orders from Xpower lately. I have ordered from them twice and never had any trouble, but it has been awhile since I did. Maybe someone that has more recent experience could chime in on that.
Xpower RM
Kenon has one RM mount in stock as well, but I know nothing about it. It almost looks incomplete from the picture. It is for the MR02, so it is an older design, but it should fit.
PN racing
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by TPDazzle
Xpower makes (made?) a very nice aluminum adjustable rear mount. My friend has it and it is a very well finished part with nice features. It can be used with motors with screw holes or without. Unfortunately I have read that some people are having trouble with orders from Xpower lately. I have ordered from them twice and never had any trouble, but it has been awhile since I did. Maybe someone that has more recent experience could chime in on that.
Xpower RM
Kenon has one RM mount in stock as well, but I know nothing about it. It almost looks incomplete from the picture. It is for the MR02, so it is an older design, but it should fit.
PN racing
I know there’s a full mount available. But don’t really want to spend that money on something for home use only. It’s just the cover that breaks on the RM.

I’ve read more then enuff complaints about XPOWER orders to not even consider them.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I am wondering if this is a problem. My right front and left rear tires are getting warmer than the other 2 on a mostly left hand turn run. Seems like my right front and rear would be warmer than the left side. Am I wrong about this? 6 left hand turn and 2 right.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:36 AM
Tech Adept

Default Bushings not Bearings.

A friend of mine is just getting into mini-z after running on my home track. I gave him the link to the mclaren f1 gtr $130 rtr from kyosho's website and told him that was the best bang for his buck. He came over yesterday with his new car and as I was showing him how to tape his tries on I noticed that the car had bushings in it and not bearings. So I put some new avid bearings in it for him.

I have read many times now that those cars were coming with bearings, but my 2 experiences with them say otherwise. My father in law bought one about a year ago and it also came with bushing. So it must depend on who is doing the assembly at the factory whether you get bearings or not.
Billy Kelly and AlvBo like this.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:30 AM
Tech Rookie

The $130 MR-03 RTR cars come with bushings, the $175 ones come with bearings and nicer shell.

Originally Posted by MTseo
A friend of mine is just getting into mini-z after running on my home track. I gave him the link to the mclaren f1 gtr $130 rtr from kyosho's website and told him that was the best bang for his buck. He came over yesterday with his new car and as I was showing him how to tape his tries on I noticed that the car had bushings in it and not bearings. So I put some new avid bearings in it for him.

I have read many times now that those cars were coming with bearings, but my 2 experiences with them say otherwise. My father in law bought one about a year ago and it also came with bushing. So it must depend on who is doing the assembly at the factory whether you get bearings or not.
​​​​​​​
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:07 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by norlin
The $130 MR-03 RTR cars come with bushings, the $175 ones come with bearings and nicer shell.

There definitely seems to be quite a number that came with bearings. Mine also did. I bought a set of bearings after reading that it came with bushings. But when I went to check found bearings.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:18 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by norlin

I have bought two long Tail McLaren Ready Sets ($129) and both have had bearings. One was at the very end of August and the other the very end of October.

Cheers,
​​​​​​​Jim

AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:58 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by LJH
I have bought two long Tail McLaren Ready Sets ($129) and both have had bearings. One was at the very end of August and the other the very end of October.

Cheers,
Jim
I bought mine in October 2019.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:00 AM
Tech Prophet

I’ll get videos up from the weekends race. Not my best. The 4100 cracked a steering bloc in first round. Managed to run the full day. But wasn’t competitive. I’m looking at the 1 degree aluminum blocs.

Good side, the reverse issue is fixed. It was set on 3, causing the long reverse delay.

5600 struggled all day. There’s something binding in the motor pod. It’s been off since changed TPlate. Thought it was a missing spring on disk damper, or loose screws on the TPlate. But nope.

I think this month with be a turning point since crossing into the race side of hobby. Between small scale and 1/10 scale. Raced 8 classes this month. Could/should have been 9.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:06 AM
Tech Prophet

AlvBo likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.