Like Tree7780Likes

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 01:38 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EMU
the shorter LM mount should have a little more rear traction, but it will be marginal on a smooth track, a bumpy tracki it will make more difference when used with an RM t-plate which will increase vertical compliance.

What rear tires are you using on the car? The LM 20 slicks do take some break in to wear flat, and even then I feel that they can only support power of a stock class car before they spin up under throttle application. PN soft or super soft would be a better option for a pro stock car.

on my 787, for smaller tracks I like the pn firm front tire with soft or super soft f-type rear. If you can grab some 19mm front wheels, it would somewhat keep the LM look with a higher profile on the front tire, and 21mm rears should complete the look, as well as provide the appropriate diameter for the rear. These wheels are extremely hard to come by these days...
Copy that. While I have nothing to judge against I think my track is fairly bumpy because it gets set up and broken down fairly often so the connector fingers are not always terribly smooth.

I may try the shorter mount when I have the track set up next, the one thing I do worry about is body clearance with the spur. In an attempt to get the body low I have maybe 3mm of travel before the spur hits the body and there is some very light marking showing that there has been contact....may have to ask the better half to grab my Dremel from the basement so I an do some grinding and get a touch more room.

I have the LM wheels/tires on there just for show. When I had the 787 body on the chassis I ran the LM tires and wheels for a few thousand laps, enough to get them totally flat across the tread and I just could not make it go as fast as the KS Soft rears and Med fronts I normally run. I ordered a GLR today so I needed some tires and I did get a couple sets of Super Softs. BTW, I have a set of soft F-Types I run on my GT3 and I don't think I can feel a difference between them and the normal KS tires, can you feel a difference?

Thanks for the info, next time I have the track up I will swap the mounts and see. The T-Plate holder I run in this car has an adjustable fulcrum so I will move that forward as well and see if that helps at all.

Cheers,
Jim

AlvBo likes this.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:12 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The adjustable fulcrum, further rearward will provide more longitudinal stiffness, and loss of rear traction but most aggressive steering. On low traction surfaces, I omit the fulcrum altogether. High traction, I play with it sometimes, often in the long position but low preload.
Kremzeek and AlvBo like this.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:34 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EMU
The adjustable fulcrum, further rearward will provide more longitudinal stiffness, and loss of rear traction but most aggressive steering. On low traction surfaces, I omit the fulcrum altogether. High traction, I play with it sometimes, often in the long position but low preload.
That is what I was thinking....I imagine RCP is considered fairly high bite?

Alright, something else for you. I am not sure when it happened or why but I have been running without a top shock/spring on both my LWB and SWB cars for awhile now. When you mentioned "Pre-Load" it got me thinking. I see pictures of cars both with top shock/springs and without. Thoughts on running with and without?

Cheers,
Jim
AlvBo likes this.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LJH
That is what I was thinking....I imagine RCP is considered fairly high bite?

Alright, something else for you. I am not sure when it happened or why but I have been running without a top shock/spring on both my LWB and SWB cars for awhile now. When you mentioned "Pre-Load" it got me thinking. I see pictures of cars both with top shock/springs and without. Thoughts on running with and without?

Cheers,
Jim
when u mean top shock u mean the actual shock or the top disk and spring on a dampner disk
AlvBo likes this.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:20 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scionara05
when u mean top shock u mean the actual shock or the top disk and spring on a dampner disk
The shock/spring, not the disk dampener.

Cheers,
Jim.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:01 AM
EMU
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LJH

The shock/spring, not the disk dampener.

Cheers,
Jim.
Most of my cars use a center shock, it is a tuning preference which I have. I tend to prefer a setup with a stiffer upper disc damper spring to promote squat and aid in hooking up the rear tire, however, to counteract too much squat I use a center shock which I have much more ability to control the droop and preload of the center spring to adjust the ride height of the rear pod.

On rear setups where I don't use a center shock, which is mostly due to clearance issues, i will either use similar weight springs or stiffer on the bottom disc. Generally I always use a center shock in anything above stock power.

The stiffer upper disc spring with conjunction of the center shock tends to make the pod more vertically compliant. I don't think that one method of approach is necessarily better, there are many fast racers with both styles. Since even run only the lower disc and spring with no center shock. I just prefer to have things isolated to be able to adjust as needed. My stock car that I ran at the PN national's had no center shock and green upper and lower springs.
LJH and AlvBo like this.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EbbTide

And this is why we cant have nice things =/
Are there any MiniZ groups in San Diego area? One of the guys I race with is going in few weeks. He was asking on Facebook group.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:34 PM
LJH
Tech Master

As you guys have seen I have a thing for obscure bodies. This had been on eBay for the last few weeks but I just could not swallow his asking price but I did keep making offers. Last week I got a message from the seller and we struck a price of $30 shipped (almost half what he was asking).

Stock it runs narrow wheels in the back, not sure I can make it work but I will try and see if I can get a set of wides to fit with a bit of massaging.

Anyone have any experience running this body?

Cheers,
jim.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:18 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LJH

As you guys have seen I have a thing for obscure bodies. This had been on eBay for the last few weeks but I just could not swallow his asking price but I did keep making offers. Last week I got a message from the seller and we struck a price of $30 shipped (almost half what he was asking).

Stock it runs narrow wheels in the back, not sure I can make it work but I will try and see if I can get a set of wides to fit with a bit of massaging.

Anyone have any experience running this body?

Cheers,
jim.
I ran one for a little while many years ago. I think I had -1mm rear wheels at the time. It drives surprisingly well, however its very unforgiving with the barriers.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:28 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EMU
I ran one for a little while many years ago. I think I had -1mm rear wheels at the time. It drives surprisingly well, however its very unforgiving with the barriers.
Exactly what I was thinking wheel wise..

Does the front get caught or does it end up on it roof if you hit the barriers? Looking at the front I would not think it gets caught but you never know.

Not sure what Way I will go with this car but thinking a modern hill climb car.

Cheers,
Jim

AlvBo likes this.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:45 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LJH

Exactly what I was thinking wheel wise..

Does the front get caught or does it end up on it roof if you hit the barriers? Looking at the front I would not think it gets caught but you never know.

Not sure what Way I will go with this car but thinking a modern hill climb car.

Cheers,
Jim

if I remember correctly, it would roll a bit in contact to a wall, then pull the front tire, and could damage front suspension...
AlvBo likes this.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

Are there any MiniZ groups in San Diego area? One of the guys I race with is going in few weeks. He was asking on Facebook group.
I couldn't say unfortunately. I am located in the SF Bay Area so not very close to San Diego.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:23 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by EbbTide
I couldn't say unfortunately. I am located in the SF Bay Area so not very close to San Diego.
Ok. I’d guess I’d it was big word would probably spread around.
EbbTide and AlvBo like this.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Can somebody point me to the rules? I'd like to start out in Stock, but have no idea how stock is Stock.

Thanks
AlvBo likes this.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:22 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by belewis01
Can somebody point me to the rules? I'd like to start out in Stock, but have no idea how stock is Stock.

Thanks
https://docs.google.com/viewerng/vie...-2019-v2-3.pdf
AlvBo likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.