Search
Like Tree7772Likes

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 03:26 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If memory serves me correct, it is a 94mm body and will not be compatible with your 98mm GLA.

I have used the previous TRP Megane body a lot, and it is a nice car to drive. At the old Cruizin track, we ran a hot hatch class, which started as a spec Megane class and eventually opened up to all hatch bodies made for the Mini-Z. We used the Atomic 60t USA motor as a spec motor and it was a great combination. I gave you the last 60t motor that I had, I think it would go great on your track.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by EMU
It might not be more power, but there is better response so the power comes sooner when throttle is applied.

VE by default was programmed conservative. It was programmed for new racers to keep out of trouble with the fast motors that were equipped with the VE. EVO, by default is programmed aggressive, to showcase the increase in response by the CPU in the EVO circuit board. Where the VE had the setting for drag brake at 4 be default, EVO has more drag brake at 3 than VE has at 5. EVO also has much ore responsive steering. I do not have an EVO, but have tested my friends, and have long consultation with him. He has identical setup EVO, VE and brushed cars (3500kv and 70t).

For me, response is something that you can adjust to as a driver, and can still be very fast with a car that has slower response. However, switching between two cars of different response in a race day is difficult.

I have EVO electronics on a PNR2.5W chassis and have run with a NiMH/3500kV setup, previously used a VE-PRO board. Completely agree with EMU's comments.

To elaborate a little more, throttle response is very smooth and linear especially at lower speeds, almost no "cogging" on startup which would happen with the VE-Pro board sometimes. Reverse after a crash also feels more reliable probably for the same reason. Kind of feels like a sensored motor on larger scales. Drag brake is higher than VE Pro board, I have mine set at "4" which feels closer to a brushed motor drag brake and is good for tighter tracks. Steering does feel much more responsive and connected with less delay.

Again this is all somewhat subjective. With the same chassis/setup and a EVO board compared to a VE-Pro board my lap times are basically the same or just a hair faster with EVO electronics, but the EVO does feels better to drive.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:13 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EMU
If memory serves me correct, it is a 94mm body and will not be compatible with your 98mm GLA.

I have used the previous TRP Megane body a lot, and it is a nice car to drive. At the old Cruizin track, we ran a hot hatch class, which started as a spec Megane class and eventually opened up to all hatch bodies made for the Mini-Z. We used the Atomic 60t USA motor as a spec motor and it was a great combination. I gave you the last 60t motor that I had, I think it would go great on your track.

EMU,
The 2004 was a 94mm body, the 2010 is a 98mm body. Supposedly they worked on the aero quite a bit on the 2010 version. It is pretty wide taking 3MM ET in the back and 2MM ET in the front. I think I am going to go for it.....I have been lusting after one for awhile so what the heck.....I think it is pretty bad ass looking.

I will have to check out the 60T motor. Right now I am running the 48T motor you sent me in my 94MM chassis. The little man had baseball practice and the wife is working late in the city so I just ran some laps with the 94mm car. I cleaned the motor and put a drop of the Bachman lube on the motor and charged my better set of Amazon Basic 750mah (black label) at .8ah so the cells came of fairly warm......Wow,.....that motor has some giddy up but also very tractable. I was a bit rusty after not running any laps for two weeks but the car was fast......me, not so much so.

Cheers,
Jim
AlvBo likes this.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:42 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Yes, that motor has quite a bit of power, but it doesnt get out of hand. This is my favorite motor for Mini-Z, I have used it in many modified class events for technical layouts. It has enough power to get the job done, but not too much power to be a complete handful. It is also VERY efficient when geared correctly, I have clocked 40+ minute stints with it when we ran some endurance races back in the day.

Thanks for the details of the Megane. I had confused the 2010 with the 2004. I have a couple 2004, but no 2010. It looks like it would be a really good handling body. especially for your smaller track.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:02 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EMU
Yes, that motor has quite a bit of power, but it doesnt get out of hand. This is my favorite motor for Mini-Z, I have used it in many modified class events for technical layouts. It has enough power to get the job done, but not too much power to be a complete handful. It is also VERY efficient when geared correctly, I have clocked 40+ minute stints with it when we ran some endurance races back in the day.

Thanks for the details of the Megane. I had confused the 2010 with the 2004. I have a couple 2004, but no 2010. It looks like it would be a really good handling body. especially for your smaller track.
i am running it with a 7T pinion and I was surprised how miserly it is.....pretty simular to the PN70 on a 9T.

Speaking of pinion I I got a pack of the PN Delrin pinions and installed the 7T on my 94MM car with the Atomic 48T motor and the thing is eeriely quiet now. I hope I can get the same results on my SWB chassis, that thing sounds like a bag of rocks when running.

Cheers,
Jim
EMU and AlvBo like this.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think I remember that it had a lot of steering. But I ran it without a wing.
The original wing is mounted in the rear window. Guess that it's ok with the original window, but I used the Lexan one.
It popped quite easily because of the loose fit in the rear clips.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:46 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LJH

i am running it with a 7T pinion and I was surprised how miserly it is.....pretty simular to the PN70 on a 9T.

Speaking of pinion I I got a pack of the PN Delrin pinions and installed the 7T on my 94MM car with the Atomic 48T motor and the thing is eeriely quiet now. I hope I can get the same results on my SWB chassis, that thing sounds like a bag of rocks when running.

Cheers,
Jim
the pn pro match pinion have a finer tooth than the kyosho molded pinions. The resistance drop in the same tooth of pinion feels like half a tooth gained in speed. It is also much quieter...
AlvBo likes this.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:23 AM
EMU
Tech Master

I found a little time to work on an adapter for RM DPS. It is designed for compatibility with LM damper height, which means that a standard PN damper will need some shim under the post. It is targeted towards 90 and 86mm wheelbases, I should be able to get a prototype bench tested soon. (for 86mm it would need to be rotated 180d for the adapter to clear the chassis).
LJH, 2112troy, lmlindbo and 2 others like this.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool.
Looking good.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:03 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Prep for super stock... 2S 3500kv. Cheap amazon lipo fit with r246 LiFe battery clips and weight set. I am lucky that I found my old LiFe conversion parts, since I was unable to source more online.

lmlindbo, MTseo and AlvBo like this.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:55 AM
LJH
Tech Master

While my SWB car was narrow and at 89MM I figured I would run some laps on the 935. Itvis a bunch more tippy then the Stratos but darn does it look good on the track and also super fun to drive.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:55 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LJH
While my SWB car was narrow and at 89MM I figured I would run some laps on the 935. Itvis a bunch more tippy then the Stratos but darn does it look good on the track and also super fun to drive.
simple, EMU and AlvBo like this.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:12 AM
LJH
Tech Master

I have a question.

Putting my SWB car back to 90MM, is there a preference to go narrow in the front and run more offset or wide with less offset. I am guessing wide with less offset because of the scrub radius?

cheers,
Jim.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:35 PM
EMU
Tech Master

My 90mm Mini-Z stays with a narrow front end, mostly to be able to swap between bodies of wide and narrow width easily. It also increases scrub, which slows the car entering and through the corner when using wide offsets. The biggest concern is wheel clearance, the larger the offset, the larger the sweep and increase in clearance needed.

If you have both front ends for the chassis, I would recommend testing both out and seeing what gives you a better feel and laptime/consistency. It should only take about 10 minutes to swap front end configurations.
LJH and AlvBo like this.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:14 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

AlvBo likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.