Search
Like Tree7777Likes

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 07:36 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

While I don't have an EX-6, I use many of the advanced settings on my helios. Throttle curves, throttle punch are very useful to dial in the throttle response of the car. For me, throttle feel is more important than steering. With slower motors I use punch and positive throttle curves (pinch sets the minimum throttle as the trigger is activated). Since i drive a lot of modified motors, i look to have the throttle feel when i drive stock similar to how my modified cars feel. This also gives me a finer resolution of throttle when the car is up to speed since the is greater throttle response on the bottom of the trigger.

in modified I often use zero punch and curve, occasionally a negative curve when traction is low.

steering I almost always use 0 curve. Occasionally I will use slower steering speed when turning when traction is high, but centering speed is always 100%. This reduction in steering speed is not good for smaller tracks, but large tracks it can reduce the car pitching hard into the corner.

I reduce the negative throttle channel EPA to the point that the brakes don't lock the car up, but map a button next to my thumb to full reverse to be able to reverse from a crash quickly.

I also map steering sub trim and dual rate to thumb switches. This allows me to adjust steering on the fly. If I want to reduce left steering and increase right steering, I can sub trim to the right, and then trim it out on the straight. Then the next practice session I can adjust the EPA and re recenter the sub trim and trim settings.

My familiarity with the helios is one reason why I have not really moved on from it despite its age and slow response.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I am not sure what sport means. It is a ready set with the blue and black transmitter with the blue light. MR-03 rear wheel drive.

AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:58 PM
EMU
Tech Master

There is an entry level model called MR03 RWD, the entry level model before was called MR03 Sport. You have the sport, which has an electronics package that is not as robust as the RWD model. It should still be able to handle the X-Speed, geared low (7t max). The ESC is on par with the old AM electronics (2x 3010 FET) which we used to use x-speed with regularly as well as other 50t or 48t motors. There were many reports of the sport electronics failing even with 70t motors. I believe that this is more related to static issues than the ESC failing due to motor load.

I have avoided the sports entirely, and was disappointed that Kyosho would even bring them to market with the backwards step in electronics compared to the ASF brushed boards that they replaced. This change caused a lot of issues within the scale, and I feel contributed to a decline in the racing of the Mini-Z.

The new RWD Mr03 is actually a good electronics package in comparison to the sports, most notably in the steering response. It is a step up in steering response of the ASF board as well, while the Sports was a noticeable step down in steering response.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Not sure about the Sport, but you can run the X-Speed with a 9T pinion with the Sport 2. Anything higher and you're probably going to run into issues. I really need to switch over my remaining brushed cars over to the RWD board. So much better.
EMU and AlvBo like this.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

What part # is the new circuit board?
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

This one:

R/C Unit Set MINI-Z MR-03RWD/RA38 MZ414 - KYOSHO RC

It uses a different protocol than the Sports models so you'll need a new radio as well.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:56 PM
EMU
Tech Master

There were a bunch of these boards on ebay for about $25 a few weeks ago... now the cheapest that I can find is about $45. Saw a radio for about $40.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:36 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Packing for this weekend's race. Running an open 90mm class.
LJH and AlvBo like this.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:58 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EMU
Packing for this weekend's race. Running an open 90mm class.
drive fast....That is a lot of “P” cars you have there.

Cheers,
jim
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Anybody have experience with the PN DSM2 board. Just wondering if it needs throttle calibration and how one performs that task.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:13 AM
EMU
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw46
Anybody have experience with the PN DSM2 board. Just wondering if it needs throttle calibration and how one performs that task.
I have no experience, send Grant Matsushima a grave on Facebook, he should be able to guide you in the right direction.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So, one I hope the pictures work or this will be a lame story. Got a chance to run my box stock car for the first time. Ran the PN 900 batteries charged up like I charge every set of batteries I own. Second pack goes in the car, goes great. After one race I notice it smells funny. Thought it was the motor, nope battery decided to melt my chassis. Super.

AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=Links432;15401411]So, one I hope the pictures work or this will be a lame story. Got a chance to run my box stock car for the first time. Ran the PN 900 batteries charged up like I charge every set of batteries I own. Second pack goes in the car, goes great. After one race I notice it smells funny. Thought it was the motor, nope battery decided to melt my chassis. Super.

I never had great luck with PN batteries. With the PN North America race coming up in April you need to run PN 900 or Peak 900...I like the Peak 900 better. Recently I have found great success with Eneloops...nice run time and power. I have also tried the Amazon batteries but they seem to lack power (but at least they don’t melt my chassis!!!
AlvBo likes this.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah, I have some older Peaks, but I figured I would be safe getting brand new batteries. I guess that bit me pretty hard.

*Edit* After going back and forth with Kenon they are going to help me out and replace the batteries and discount a replacement chassis for me. So that is some good news.

Originally Posted by Tonkatrucker

I never had great luck with PN batteries. With the PN North America race coming up in April you need to run PN 900 or Peak 900...I like the Peak 900 better. Recently I have found great success with Eneloops...nice run time and power. I have also tried the Amazon batteries but they seem to lack power (but at least they don’t melt my chassis!!!
AlvBo likes this.

Last edited by Links432; 02-23-2019 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Because
Old 02-23-2019, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Links432
Yeah, I have some older Peaks, but I figured I would be safe getting brand new batteries. I guess that bit me pretty hard.

*Edit* After going back and forth with Kenon they are going to help me out and replace the batteries and discount a replacement chassis for me. So that is some good news.
Bring the fire extinguisher next time you run the PN batteries
AlvBo likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.